It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Day America-Why you DON'T call the cops to come help; (gotta read this one)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

WarminIndy
So the question has to become this...why did the parents call the cops in the first place? If he wasn't really that bad of a threat, why take the time to call the police?

Still reading this thread so maybe someone has already brought this up. Did they call the cops or did they dial 911, perhaps expecting an ambulance? 911 sent cops but we also call 911 for fire and ambulance. Is the 911 call available for review? I haven't gotten that far into the story yet. What is the history of this family and their calling for help? Have the cops been needed for dealing with this young man in the past. Too many questions for me atm.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

crazyewok

Luckily the British police are professional and do there job, they protect the public which includes protecting my cousin from himself.
He has punched a police officer, thrown one out a window and has also tried going for one with a bat. On all occasiona they manage to subdue him with minimal injury and deliver him to a psychiatric institution. They do this time and again without complaint and take the abuse even at risk to themselves. They even goes as far as trying to push for proper medical treatment rather than prison (mental health institition have shortage) As far as IM concerned the police in my area do they job and do it well and deserve the uttermost respect.

Just wanted to say that the British police on the whole do a tremendous job of dealing with people suffering from psychiatric problems. It might not always seem like it at the time (especially from the perspective of the person with the problem) but I have a lot of respect for how they handle themselves in the vast majority of cases.

While I'm not against arming the police, I do think there are benefits from the different kind of approach needed when all you're carrying is a tin stick and a can of itching spray. One of those benefits is developing the skill set to resolve situations like this.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

From what I heard the father say this wasn't something new and that 911 was fully aware of their sons condition due to past calls to them.
I too would like to hear the call to see what the complaint was. For all we know the boy could have been ranting and raving in the background and the 911 operator may have sent the police ahead of an ambulance for safety.

I may have missed it but have they said where the boy was shot? Maybe I'm reaching but could the officer have meant to make a leg wound and while doing so nicked a major artery? It doesn't excuse shooting him. I'm just curious where he was shot to see what the officers overall intention was. To stop him or just kill him.
edit on 7-1-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

When I draw anything in the sand im usually holding a stick, so I draw it out of a policemans line of sight to avoid being shot for making a threatening motion with a stick.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Contrary to popular belief, the US Supreme Court has ruled that Police Officers do NOT have a constitutional duty to protect you. Their sole purpose is LAW ENFORCEMENT. Remember this the next time you dial that number for help.

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 8-1-2014 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If we moved back into the city I would never call the police. We have a great sheriff here I trust. He's definitely of the old school protect and serve, and for the people. A good family man with good values whose been here in our county for a long time. There are not so many of his kind left.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
ATS Thread - Two officers cleared in shooting of mentally ill NC teen; third remains on leave

Figured we can continue the discussion as the new information comes out without it being buried.

If not, mods feel free to merge / move / etc.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Held down by two cops means he was subdued, then third cop just decided to execute him. Sounds like murder to me. May that bastard hang by his neck.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

yeah, pretty much a systemic problem with no solution and i understand that, but you were crying a bit.

it wont get better because most government agency's are corrupted, it goes to the top. there is no solution and there won't be one since the system is so sick it has to decay before anything can get better, it has to be redone. humans cannot hold positions of authority, it doesn't work and never has in thousands of years. those at the top have always become corrupt and guided by greed and the need for control of others.

many municipality's are corrupt as well and those are the people you work for unfortunately. my friend, we live in a fear driven debt based farce of a society, expect it to get worse. when several thousand wealthy wish to continue controlling 7 billion, yeah expect it to get worse. cops are at the forefront of delivering the fear, not to serve and protect citizens any longer, but the interests of the wealthy through government leaders and that's a formula for eminent disaster.

ever wonder why congress needs to pass thousand's of new laws a year? because keeping the elite in power requires a lot of foot stomping on the masses. they don't want thinking caring people for that job, they want careless stooges to do their bidding and don't ask questions.

i'm with you on this, not against you but i needed to clarify your position.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Xcathdra
ATS Thread - Two officers cleared in shooting of mentally ill NC teen; third remains on leave

Figured we can continue the discussion as the new information comes out without it being buried.

If not, mods fell free to merge / move / etc.

as they should have been. i can only imagine what those two cops were thinking when a shot went off killing the person they were apprehending. i can just see the "wtf!!" moment on their faces. like what the F did you do!!!!!!!!!

i don't hold those two guilty of anything but doing their job, but the guy who fired the shot, well he's obviously not a good person.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Stop calling the cops for domestic issues you are better off calling your neighbors or fam.. why is everyone so trigger happy yet another dead kid.."sigh"

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

HanzHenry
Badges ARE REDCOATS..

None with HONOR and INTEGRITY would wear one today. "just following orders" is about the extent of intellectual capacity that is available.

If you call the cops to your home, good luck with that.

How many greivances are necessary before the country treats cops as they deserve.

LIKE REDCOATS!

While I agree that this event is a blatant example of the continuing decay in our law enforcement quality, how does that make them like redcoats?

Redcoats haven't been a problem to this country for quite some time; let's be honest and take responsibility for our American paramilitary organizations made up of American citizens taking actions that are reprehensible to just about any modern society.

"I don't have time for this, so I just shot the kid" Sounds like growing average American mentality to me: don't want to deal with something, take the fastest way out and don't care about who it affects. We need to address the issue as ours, not try to label them off as some kind of remnant from the 1800's. They aren't working for the Crown they are working for us, at least in theory.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

4. (or 3a.) Hiring cops out of the military who served in hot zones and are given little reconditioning training.

The other thing to add here, is that, while it is unfortunate, everyone cop or not, is judged by one stereotype or another, so don't get to feeling too special.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

I support civilian oversight of law enforcement actions.

I support harsher sentencing for law enforcement officers who truly break the law and/or violate a persons civil rights.

I support MANDATORY body cameras with audio worn by law enforcement officers at all times.

I also agree with making patrol areas smaller.

For example I am responsible for an area consisting of about 10,000 people. In no way can I get to know everyone. I feel that if there were smaller areas and more community policing, there would be less issues. The police getting to know the citizens more personally, and the citizens getting to know the police more personally.

However, I feel that my 3 prior reasons are what is most responsible for the current occurrences. I feel that if these were addressed, things would improve a lot.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Agreed.

If you can't differentiate between a taser that is on the weak side of your body and a gun you have no business doing a lot of things. Being a police officer is definitely one of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It is false and unfair to say that the police in America would most likely shoot the person in that situation. People who say that are just furthering the divide between the police and the citizens.

Just because it happened in this case and others does not mean that is what occurs on a regular basis.

I respond to situations like this on a regular basis. Hundreds a year. Not once have I harmed a mentally or disabled person. I've had to wrestle a few, but they have always ended without serious injury.

The media will never report on the situations that end peacefully though. To them, and a majority of the public, there is no story in that.

Think about it. How boring would the story be if it was about the officer responding to the house, calming the handicapped person, and leaving the scene. Boring.

If it bleeds it leads.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig
reply to post by peter vlar

I support civilian oversight of law enforcement actions.

I support harsher sentencing for law enforcement officers who truly break the law and/or violate a persons civil rights.

I support MANDATORY body cameras with audio worn by law enforcement officers at all times.

I also agree with making patrol areas smaller.

For example I am responsible for an area consisting of about 10,000 people. In no way can I get to know everyone. I feel that if there were smaller areas and more community policing, there would be less issues. The police getting to know the citizens more personally, and the citizens getting to know the police more personally.

However, I feel that my 3 prior reasons are what is most responsible for the current occurrences. I feel that if these were addressed, things would improve a lot.

I've heard of only a couple areas that place cameras on their police. I'm not really sure why more have not taken a shine to it yet. The tech is to the point where it shouldn't hinder anyone performing their job. It would also save a lot of time when it came to figuring out what happened be sides the he said she said B.S. everyone has to deal with sometimes. All gear must be maintained anyways so what's one more piece.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
And, as a follow up to the whole issue.

WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS VIDEO.

What a waste of money and time/effort.

Parking violation turns into police assault caught on video – lawsuit

rt.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Everyone keeps mentioning how much the guy weighed. When it comes to strength... size and weight are totally irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

anon72
And, as a follow up to the whole issue.

WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS VIDEO.

What a waste of money and time/effort.

Parking violation turns into police assault caught on video – lawsuit

rt.com...

Something is most definitely wrong here,I don't know if it's in the training,the doughnuts or the water but something is wrong,it could have ended very badly.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join