It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church of England Removes 'sin' and 'devil' in New Christening Rite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The Church of England has rewritten it's christening (Baptism) rite that was hundreds of years old. It has removed 'sin' and 'devil' ... it says this is an update ... something easier to understand.

I'm pretty sure that people understood the previous language just fine. Everyone knew exactly what the christening (or baptism) words meant for hundreds of years. There were no complaints.

So what say you, ATS?? Is this an update of language and 'easier to understand' ...
Or is it something spiritually nefarious and a lessening of casting out of evil ??
Does it reflect that the Church of England no longer believes in the devil??

In your opinion - Is the intent of those in the church ...
or

DailyMail - Church of England Removes 'sin' and 'devil' in New Christening Rite

The Church of England is trying out a new baptism service which drops all mention of the devil and sin.
Instead of asking parents and godparents to ‘reject the devil and all rebellion against God’, it asks them to make a single broad pledge to ‘reject evil’.

Among other phrases abandoned in the experimental new christening rite are those referring to ‘the deceit and corruption of evil’, ‘the sins that separate us from God and neighbour’, and a promise to ‘fight valiantly as a disciple of Christ against sin, the world and the devil.’

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'm all for it if it takes away some of the fear and brimstone normally associated with Christianity.

Could be the beginning of something good.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So what say you, ATS?? Is this an update of language and 'easier to understand' ...
Or is it something spiritually nefarious and a lessening of casting out of evil ??
Does it reflect that the Church of England no longer believes in the devil??

Hmmm. Okay, this one is my old stomping ground. I was baptized as an infant, and had my daughter baptized as well (pressure from my mom), but not my son. Anyway, I have a LOT of extended family who still attend the Episcopal church, and my mom was intensely involved in it for decades.

In my opinion, the church's reasons for doing this are to avoid losses of parishioners; yes, I think people are more and more rejecting the idea of "Satan" and "demons." We are moving out of the era that scaring people was effective enough to keep them coming to church.

Remember, the CoE also allows women to be clergy, same-sex couples to marry (and/or be clergy), people to divorce (item #1 on King Henry's list of grievances to begin with) and is just generally far more "liberal" than the RCC. For that reason, many have said it is "Catholic lite" or something like that, which I suppose is a reasonable comparison.

Removing superstitious statements will likely retain just a few more people than would stay if the church continues to use the same ages-old rites. I think people are generally no longer prone to believe in "the devil" or "demon possession." There is a retired bishop who has several times spoken on how there is no "hell" or "Satan" - so it isn't a new trend in the Anglican community (for those unfamiliar with this 'branch' of Christianity: Anglican, Episcopal, and Church of England are all generally the same in beliefs; but each has its own style of worship - some more conservative and 'mystical' with incense and all (High Anglican), and some less so.

Anyway, no, I don't think it's some nefarious plot at all. It's just updating the rite to reflect current social changes.
edit on 1/6/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Organized religion keeps 'updating' the word of god. The new rules are just as holy, and divinely inspired as the old, I suppose.

First, there were legends of gods (plural) destroying the earth by flood. MANY civilizations recorded this 'myth' long, long before christians adopted it.

Centuries later, the Jewish sect decided (for whatever reason) that they were special, and started their own folk tales.

They attributed the events we now understand as natural disasters down to one god, instead of the many gods other ancients thought were responsible.

What ancient civilizations ,and the bible blames on god(s), we now blame on weather patterns, tectonic movement, asteroids, etc.

600 +years of passing these legends ,and it was finally put into writing. We are asked to believe that nothing was altered, or lost, through those years of story telling.

Then it was re-written, and christianity spread throughout the lands. We are told not to question these story because they are 'divinely inspired'.

I question the nature of creation. I want to know why you can trace the stories in the bible back to much more ancient legends in other lands.

Why did the Jewish people come along and alter all of history to favor themselves above all others?

Why did they pass on such scary legends of a strict, mean god that loves them above all other humanity?

Seems like brainwashing a culture for control, to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

intelligenthoodlum33
I'm all for it if it takes away some of the fear and brimstone normally associated with Christianity.

Could be the beginning of something good.

No, just shows that the religion (like all) is a load of tripe. Stick to their guns, always changing # to make it more acceptable.

Moving with the times eh, I hope one day the times move too fast and leave religion in the dark where it belongs

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Because by all means, let's forget that there is such a thing as sin and right and wrong and good and evil in this world.

To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

Rev. 3: 14-18

They are lukewarm.

top topics

join