It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ObamaCare glitch: If you like your baby ....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
New ObamaCare glitch: If you like your baby ....

There’s another quirk in the Obama administration’s new health insurance system: It lacks a way for consumers to quickly and easily update their coverage for the birth of a baby and other common life changes.

With regular private insurance, parents just notify the health plan. Insurers will still cover new babies, the administration says, but parents will also have to contact the government at some point later on.

Right now the HealthCare.gov website can’t handle such updates.

It’s a reminder that the new coverage for many uninsured Americans comes with a third party in the mix: the feds. And the system’s wiring for some vital federal functions isn’t yet fully connected.

the story says the insurance companies warned about this.
New ObamaCare glitch: If you like your baby

The ObamaCare websites apparently can't allow updates to your family coverage after you signed up.

Things like new babies, divorces, marriages, deaths, changes to income, etc.

And that's just for starters.

What if your insurance company can't verify your information to begin with because of the websites' failures ?

And how 'bout the red tape and possible IRS liabilities when you find out the subsidies and tax credits are no longer correct and you end up owing money back ?

So now if you signed and your family all of a sudden has a new baby, you have more hoops to jump through.

Yes, you *can* keep your baby, but maybe not all your money !!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Things like new babies, divorces, marriages, deaths, changes to income, etc.

What?! So you're telling me I can't update my insurance info to reflect that my (newly) ex-wife (who just got a pay raise) and then died of a heart attack and has custody of our newborn on healthcare.gov?

Just kidding, she never got the pay raise.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Once you have insurance from an exchange aren't you covered through an insurance company (like the good old days)?

In which case you do what you always did and contact the insurance company directly.

Feel free to correct me if I am missing something obvious.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

There is now a third party in this mix, Daddy Gov, and they also have to know. So there is no mechanism in place to notify them.

See how adding government makes everything so much easier and more efficient.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I thought once you had the contract with the insurance company the exchanges were no longer an issue (just the same for people who get it through their work).

What a strange system if you have to keep doing business with the exchange afterwords.
edit on 3-1-2014 by Elton because: add info

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Elton
Once you have insurance from an exchange aren't you covered through an insurance company (like the good old days)?

In which case you do what you always did and contact the insurance company directly.

Feel free to correct me if I am missing something obvious.

If you buy on an exchange, you still get an insurance company (except Medicaid), but also the government bureaucrats.

from the article;

With regular private insurance, parents just notify the health plan.

Insurers will still cover new babies, the administration says, but parents will also have to contact the government at some point later on.

Right now the HealthCare.gov website can’t handle such updates.

It's the tax implications apparently.

It's all part of the micromanaging.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Elton
reply to post by ketsuko

I thought once you had the contract with the insurance company the exchanges were no longer an issue (just the same for people who get it through their work).

What a strange system if you have to keep doing business with the exchange afterwords.
edit on 3-1-2014 by Elton because: add info

When you accept a subsidy and tax credits, you become *Chattelized*

The only way you get subsidies is if you buy off an exchange.

Direct purchases and employer policies don't get government subsidies and credits.

edit on Jan-03-2014 by xuenchen because:
:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
All I will say is I told you not to vote for Mr. Obama.

I knew as soon as we had a female president there would be problems.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I just love it when a plan comes together. What in the hell has this administration been doing for four years? Progressive ideas have no real world application. Natural fact!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It's also for tax purposes, they have to know all about you so they can make sure you are buying enough coverage or have enough coverage at tax time, otherwise, you get fined.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is this nutbag still on vacation??

Eh, who am I kidding... he doesn't seem to do much in the office either.

Please stay gone, ObamaNOcare!!!
edit on 5346x6753America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The update option was not specified in the original $300m or whatever it was deal. It's an addon to be purchased later.

top topics

join