It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clearing the air on homosexuality (from a Christian perspective)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Since we're debating, according to you B_J, let's see how it's stacking up so far:

B_J: Trying to use bad amateur scholarship as "proof" Gryph: Denied

B_J:Trying to use a biased website as "proof" Gryph: Denied

B_J:Trying to use Strong's Concordance as "proof" Gryph: Denied

Trying to use Google Translate as "proof"

The Greek language (koine) of Paul's time didn't have a concept analogous to the modern concept of homosexuality.

Your word αρσενοκοίτης does not appear in any Greek text prior to the New Testament (A reference in Pliny from 35 CE has been disproven so don't bother with it.) so, apparently the Pauline Author coined the phrase, further proof that whatever the Pauline Author was trying to say was not a common concept in the language, although, thanks to the Bible, it is now part of modern Greek.

Do you realize that Google translate is structured as a "Wiki," and that users can add or choose definitions and synonyms, right? You can choose from a list of meanings ...

... as you did when you when you manipulated your screenshot ... you chose "homosexual" as the link to αρσενοκοίτης. When I type the word in, for example, I get: pansy as the first choice, then, a string of horrible derogatory terms for gay males.

(I mean no offense to anyone with the term "pansy", Google Translate provides a list of horrible insults (like pansy) as translations in Modern Greek of the word arsenokoites). I want to make that point, but I do not intend to offend anyone.

So, B_J33 ... are you suggesting that all these nasty little terms are also cognate with Biblical Greek?

DENIED.

edit on 8Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:37:14 -060014p082014166 by Gryphon66 because: took out horrible examples

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

schadenfreude

And I love judgmental @#$%bags.

Hilarious!

'don't judge me while I condemn all homosexuals!'

You're an embarrassment to all of us.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

No on all counts dude, your just deflecting the truth from your perspective as you want to see it.
It's human nature, I understand it's called cognitive dissonance.
Because that's what a person has when they say the bible doesn't condemn immoral activity as sin.
God and the bible isn't going to condemn normal sex and leave the other untouched, maybe that's all you really need to understand in the big picture, if you can't, well whatever.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Thanks Blue_Jay for the chat. Ultimately, I'm sure you know that none of us are "right" to the extent that that any belief of any kind will always result in confirmation bias. (I think that's what you mean instead of cognitive dissonance). It's the human condition. All of us, unless we take the greatest care to insure that our observations and conclusions are as clear as possible, are biased by our current "belief."

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join