It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna 2014

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

*Tutto ciò che la natura ha di grande,
tutto ciò che ha di piacevole,
tutto ciò che ha di terribile,
si può paragonare all'Etna,
e l'Etna non si può paragonare a nulla

(D. Vivant Denon “Voyage en Sicile”)

Everything in nature is grand,
everything is nice,
everything is terrible
you can compare it to Etna,
Etna - you can't compare her to anything

~*~*~*~ ~*~*~*~ ~*~*~*~

2014 is here and Mt. Etna is ready!

Moving into our 4th year providing up to the moment local coverage & photos of this lovely volcano I’m primed - and I hope you are - to continue the incredible experience of our ’Vulcanessa’ Etna!

Now all we need is herself to cooperate - but knowing Etna - It will not be long before we’re granted a new spectacular eruption!

Bookmark the page, visit the links provided, comment and please don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Most of all I hope you ENJOY this true life account of living day to day with a Volcano - in your backyard!

PEACE

edit on 2-1-2014 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

earlier thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Wed Mar 12 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: added earlier thread link

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Mt. Etna - the isle of Sicily’s crowning glory - is the highest volcano in Europe rising over 3000 meters above the Mediterranean Sea nestled blissfully between the ‘toe’ of Italy’s ’boot’ and the northern most part of Africa.

Mt. Etna has woven her way throughout history steeped in mystery, tragedy, prophesy, lore and her unmoving presence the backdrop to this breathtaking isle watching down over her people & tourists from the world over who return to visit her time and time again.

Her eruptions have been documented since before 1500 BC

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I’m so very proud to announce - better late than never - Mt. Etna has been inducted into UNESCO!

Mount Etna is an iconic site encompassing 19,237 uninhabited hectares on the highest part of Mount Etna, on the eastern coast of Sicily. Mount Etna is the highest Mediterranean island mountain and the most active stratovolcano in the world. The eruptive history of the volcano can be traced back 500,000 years and at least 2,700 years of this activity has been documented. The almost continuous eruptive activity of Mount Etna continues to influence volcanology, geophysics and other Earth science disciplines. The volcano also supports important terrestrial ecosystems including endemic flora and fauna and its activity makes it a natural laboratory for the study of ecological and biological processes. The diverse and accessible range of volcanic features such as summit craters, cinder cones, lava flows and the Valle de Bove depression have made the site a prime destination for research and education.

And last year? We caught the birth of her new crater!

So here we go! Let’s hope 2014 is as full of miracles, surprises and spectacular eruptions as we saw in all 21 of last year!

Etna Live Cam

Added Note: I’ll be researching new live-links. One of the favored links we used last year’s changed and requiring a paid subscription to continue viewing their page. That’s a no no in my book. There’s more links out there - let’s find them!

PEACE

edit on 2-1-2014 by silo13 because: (se above)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yaaaaaay thanks silo for your continued hard work at watching/documenting this lovely volcano. Even though I've said this to you before, just your threads alone makes me want to visit etna one day

Hope 2014 brings more spectacular photos. Keep it up silo

Edit: despite you just creating this thread as a follow up to last years I'm starring and flagging this as I'm pretty sure this thread will be filled with amazing pics and videos
edit on 2-1-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hi All -

I wasn’t really ready to start the 2014 thread but there’s been a course of EQ’s (some 3.0+) over the island and Etna’s steam’s changed to a darker color which means we’re looking at a little ash mixed in. So, with Etna - it’s better to be safe than sorry, better to be prepared.

I’ll be updating this video before too long but for now I’d like to add it to the new thread.

peace

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
stay safe

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I’m glad you reminded me of that. There’s an group ‘All Things Sicilian’ that make treks here a couple of times a year. They do a great job keeping costs way down and it’s a really personalized group of people. I know the group ‘leader’ personally and he’s not only a trustworthy person but very kind and personable. You might want to look into those possibilities. Let me get you a great link - the one I have at the moment is too full of ‘things to buy’ - There is another site solely for their trips. I’ll be back with it in a bit. At the moment I’m headed out to check our lovely friend.

Also - if you’re ever headed over let me know. I have a wealth of information to share before you even get here!

Good to see you! Welcome to 2014!

peace

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
love the pics....keep em coming and stay safe!!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks so much any info is great. Even if I end up going on my own I believe it's something I need to see also only being a few hours flight away, Sicily not far from me just have to fly over France. Add links when you can I know you are busy
take care

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Blwyddyn newydd da, Gracie!
Goes without saying....S&F!
Etna's rainbows and smoke rings to you
Jane

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

angelchemuel
Blwyddyn newydd da, Gracie!
Goes without saying....S&F!
Etna's rainbows and smoke rings to you
Jane

Welsh ? Off topic .. Over the last few years I've discovered a welsh side to my family

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Definitely some volcanic action this afternoon - and more now.
There’s a fine coating of ash falling - very fine sand/ahs - ‘cenere’...
I can’t make out much behind the clouds but She’s most assuredly brewing up something.
I don’t get the feeling She’s going to erupt this evening - but my ‘Etna Instinct’ has been proven wrong before.
Let’s see what tomorrow brings!

peace

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Lovely to see you here. The thread wouldn't be the same without you.
I'm heading off to find some of the better links to the live cam and graphs.
Like I posted - there's some ash falling and you can 'see it' in the sky but no earth tremors or blasts - yet!

Happy New Year!

peace

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Very cold morning - highlights dramatic with ash in the air.
As you can see she's hiding what she's up to - but up to something she definitely is.
No more tremors but the day's only just started.

peace

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Nice picture Silo.
Sort of a cross between ominous and majestic tyrant.
Beautiful wickedness.

SnF
edit on 3-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Here are a couple more webcam links:
guide-etna (at the moment, only Cam 2 seems to be functional)
etnaweb

I have a few more bookmarked, but they either aren't loading or the cams are down. I'll post the links if they come back up...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Yes.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

silo13
reply to post by angelchemuel

Lovely to see you here. The thread wouldn't be the same without you.

Happy New Year!

peace

Aw...stop it...I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for YOU!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

A fine dirty ash covering everything this morning - and Etna's still belching away.

She’s got a dirty look in the sunrise - but still beautiful.

The new crater seems still, it’s the larger crater, the older one puffing away.

Still, it’s worth a look and worth keeping an eye on today.

peace

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
There’s no doubt she’s spewing more ash - the color is that amazing dusty peach color - and now? The new crater is bellowing steam.

There’s a report of a ‘sbuffo’ (puff) explosion - with so many clouds I can’t see it until it dissipates above - but is sure seems like were heating up to an eruption.

I'll grab a capture if/when the clouds clear a bit.

peace

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Etna's sulking under the clouds and rain...

There's been a great deal of fine ash fall without eruption or fanfare. Just a constant belching of the light brown fine grained grit.

By popular request - here's the 'Kitty Brigade'.

Secret (the mother)with her two yearlings (inset) Sylvester & Pounce.

Have a wonderful Sunday All!

peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join