It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercury levels rising in expanse around Alberta oilsands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Mercury levels rising in expanse around Alberta oilsands

Mercury wafting out of oilsands operations is impacting an area – or “bull’s-eye” — that extends for about 19,000 square kilometres in northeast Alberta, according to federal scientists.

Levels of the potent neurotoxin found near the massive industrial operation have been found to be up to 16 times higher than “background” levels for the region, says Environment Canada researcher Jane Kirk, who recently reported the findings at an international toxicology conference.

The federal scientists stress the mercury loadings around the oilsands are low compared to the contamination seen in many parts of North America including southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

The highest loadings of mercury were 1,000 nanograms per square metre, much higher than the background level for the region. But she says the “pulse” of mercury in meltwater entering the ecosystem in the spring is below the limits in water quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life established by the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment.

The scientists also found up to 19 nanograms of methyl mercury per square metre near the oilsands, 16 times the region’s background level. It is the first report of this more “toxic” form of mercury in snow. Microbes typically convert mercury into methyl mercury when the metal enters aquatic ecosystems and begins to work its way up through the food web.

www.vancouversun.com...

I don't know why I'm surprised there's contamination, it's a dirty business, contamination is expected anywhere to some degree or another. I suppose it's good that the measurements aren't as high as mercury contamination elsewhere.
Someone's going to have to school me on Canadian regulations on this one, we below the border don't really know much about the rules for protecting the environment around the oilsands (better than the US would do, I'd hope) I found the article eye-opening & wanted to share.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I couldnt find much on the regulations on mercury pollution, just that they're studying it.

That doesn't bode well for the approximately 100,000 people, or the wildlife that lives around the area.

join