It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyoncé ripped by NASA for using ‘Challenger’ explosion audio in new song ‘XO’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I find the extremely distasteful, a total disregard of the families and NASA personnel of the Challenger disaster!

Current and former members of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration have slammed musical superstar Beyoncé for her “insensitive” use of an audio clip from the space shuttle Challenger disaster in her new song, “XO.”

She says

My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster. The song ‘XO’ was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you. The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten.

What's your opinion ATS'ERS???

www.bizpacreview.com...

The song

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 31-12-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

The Challenger was a horrific tragedy. Truly. I still remember viewing the whole lift off and subsequent loss of the Challenger.

I don't think anyone with a living and beating heart would ever make light of the tragedy, or intend in any way to mock it.

I don't listen to Beyonce, but I did go and take a listen to the song in question. I listened to the lyrics, and kept in mind her intent of the song itself, as she herself explained it.

I personally did not find it offensive. Should she have used such audio? That is up to each individual to determine for themselves, and we will all have different opinions on that.
To me, Beyonce is an entertainer, not an artist, so I can't say artist when referencing her, but many artists and musicians have used tragedies in their songs, for emphasis on their message. Just as she has done here. They always have and always will.

I imagine that there is something to offend everyone around each corner and with each step we take. I prefer to save my own outrage for truly offensive things. I respect your feeling of distaste. We each have differing views on what is distasteful.

If she would have used audio between the flight crew and NASA, I too, would have found it quite distasteful. But I can't truly say I am offended in any way by this.

I swear I can't remember the name of this song, a while back. They used actual audio of screaming wounded soldiers in Vietnam. It was a half sung, half spoken song. One of the spoken parts was "The average age of the soldier in Vietnam was 19.19."

I wish I could find it now, so that you could sample it. It was hard to listen to, and not a mere 6 second sound bite.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Of all the explosion sounds why would the Challenger one be used?

Are subtle clues being given?
edit on 31-12-2013 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Well, I would think that NASA probably was unhappy to have that clip be used by a very popular pop artist simply because it IS the Challenger mission. In college, what happened with Challenger was THE primary case study for the worst result of what can happen when an entity engages in groupthink. There are actual case studies on this subject, Challenger and NASA. It is the ultimate in cautionary tales against groupthink and a quick search on your search engine of choice can easily verify that.

Challenger was preventable and was subject to what has been often cited as "defective decision making". You bet that it's a sore point for NASA. As for Beyonce? It's actually a kind of lovely song and we really should not forget Challenger. Ever.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by StarlightNine

Would a movie using a scene showing your father being shot in the head and killed in real life help heal you? No, anyone who thinks this is a good idea and would help heal people is deranged. I didn't lose anyone in this accident, so no, doesn't offend me. The idea offends me though.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Would a movie using a scene showing your father being shot in the head and killed in real life help heal you? No, anyone who thinks this is a good idea and would help heal people is deranged.

Come, now.

Had I witnessed such a thing as my father's demise by gunshot wound to the head, it would truly be infinitely more offensive to me than a 6 second sound bite; which neither used the last words of those beautiful human beings nor presented in its use any mocking intent whatsoever.

Is it in poor taste? Possibly. However I tend to take offense at such things as homelessness, poverty, war, genocide - oh wait...rape, murder, torture...

You know, those sorts of atrocities. Perhaps I've seen too much and find the little things like this less offensive than some. Certainly, I am entitled to my un-offended opinion, as you are your offended one?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

It's the same point. You think 6 seconds of sound can't bring back horrible painful memories?

As I already said I did not lose anyone so to me it is not offensive. Clearly this is not going to be "healing" to the people who lost loved ones, claiming such is ridiculous.
edit on 1-1-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

It's the same point. You think 6 seconds of sound can't bring back horrible painful memories?

I do understand your point, though you may not think I do. I just can't match the two in my head, you see? That it is so offensive as to cause pain.

Can you tell me what the audio sampling said that is so pinful? It wasn't a flight member's voice or words. Poor taste, perhaps. But painful? I listened to it again, and I'm not seeing it.

ETA: I do see where you have said that you are not offended but are merely pointing out your suggestion that someone somewhere may be caused pain by such audio. I can only say that as a part of American history, it does not seem so odd that someone has snatched it up and used it like this.
edit on 1-1-2014 by StarlightNine because: Clarification

new topics

top topics

join