It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprising Number Of Americans Still Don't Believe In Evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

One in three Americans doesn't believe in evolution, according to new survey results from the Pew Research Center.

The results, released Monday in report on views about human evolution, show that 33 percent of Americans think "humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time."

Surprising Number Of Americans Still Don't Believe In Evolution

I am a bit surprised by these findings. To me, it shows a failure in the educational standards if this many people refute evolution entirely.

I do have a problem with the phrasing of some of the questions, though. " "without the guidance of God" would better be phrased as "without needing the guidance of God". This way, a person doesn't have to select one or the other. Perhaps that would have given clearer results.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Nice to see that at least 33% have some hint of a brain left not totally lobotomized by the 60 years of full court press propagandizing and brain washing by the globalist oligarchy . . .

It will be interesting to see how they now trash evolution and segue into panspermia.

It will also be interesting significantly after that . . . however soon for some individuals and within however many years for society . . . to realize how idiotic the whole notion of evolution etc. were to begin with.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I'm actually surprised the figures are aren't higher than they are. We live in a religious world. Most creationists I know reject evolution outright. Not that evolution precludes creation. It doesn't. I would say considering the belief systems of our world, science and indoctrination centers...er...schools have done a pretty good job.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

What is there to believe? Darwin observed mutations withing species. There has yet to be any evidence of cross-species evolution. If you believe in something without evidence, it is Faith. Most people who reject the Theory of Evolution already have a different Faith.

link   
reply to post by TLomon

I want to be surprised but I really am not...

I want to contribute more to this discussion but every thing I type sounds pretty harsh or judgmental so I guess I will leave it at that.

link   
reply to post by TLomon

Is there 100 percent irrefutable evidence that evolution is real?

Im just saying there are many on this site alone that will not except evolution as truth because science cannot prove it indefinitely.

Evolution is possible, but if a life form was introduced to this planet from space that flaws the current theroy. now life forms cant naturally evolve with in their own environment and they are subject to outside influence.
edit on Mon20142013-12-30T14:42:44-06:00th2013-12-30T14:42:44-06:00uMon, 30 Dec 2013 14:42:44 -0600Monday20142013-12-30T14:42:44-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by TLomon

This is normal.

As Humans evolve, naturally a portion of them won't believe in evolution.

We already went through this with "the earth is flat" belief system, and prgressed, evolved out of that just fine.

Same deal with this. No harm done.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

What's even funnier? Some of you on here believe we came from monkeys....LOLOLOL

WOW, we have so many smart people on here......How did that monkey get here?? hmmmm...

Oh we developed from bacteria....Okay, I will play ball....Where did that bacteria come from?? hmmm....

Anything you link to intelligent life points back to intelligent creation....Sorry evolutionists but you can't evolve into an intelligent species from nothing.....Take bacteria, any kind you like, and run an experiment to turn it intelligent over time.....It won't happen...

But I am leaving, so don't try to bash me as a bible thumper....Just some food for thought.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This just shows how much America has fallen. I don't know of a single other First World country where the reality of evolution is still consistently debated. How can we ever hope to be the best when a third of our population can't even grasp basic scientific principles?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have never believed in evolution. It just doesn't make sense to me, especially concerning the human race. I do happen to think that creationism is the answer but how and by whom are the real questions.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

stonergeek
reply to post by TLomon

What is there to believe? Darwin observed mutations withing species. There has yet to be any evidence of cross-species evolution. If you believe in something without evidence, it is Faith. Most people who reject the Theory of Evolution already have a different Faith.

Please tell me what cross species evolution is. They must have skipped over that in evolutionary biology. A far as evidence, the only way it doesn't exist is if you walk through the world with your eyes closed. Between observable phenomena, the fossil record and the genetic evidence we have and keep adding to every day it makes me sad when people claim there. Isn't evidence to support evolutionary theory.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The word evolution is kind of like the word mysticism. Abused so much that the public can't take it in without baggage.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I think you meant to say "A surprising amount of 'Muricans don't believe in evolution.".

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
This just shows how much America has fallen. I don't know of a single other First World country where the reality of evolution is still consistently debated. How can we ever hope to be the best when a third of our population can't even grasp basic scientific principles?

Oh I am sure it's higher than that. I had some girl giggling during the holiday dinner this year because she didn't know where Nelson Mandela was from and that South Africa is a country. She didn't believe in evolution either. The stupid is strong here.

You should see how many Americans still believe in ghosts, demon possession and angels.
edit on 30-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

edit on 30-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I asked an American if he believed in evolution once and he said "yes if things get bad enough we should rise up against the government!"

I had to think about that for a few seconds

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

What's even funnier? Some of you on here believe we came from monkeys....LOLOLOL

WOW, we have so many smart people on here......How did that monkey get here?? hmmmm...

Who makes the claim that we came from monkeys? Ie never seen it in this board from anyone promoting evolution, only from those that don't know basic 10th grade biology. That humans are apes and have a common ancestry with the other apes and primates is not in dispute by anyone in science.

Oh we developed from bacteria....Okay, I will play ball....Where did that bacteria come from?? hmmm....

And here we see yet another massive failing of the American education system, people don't know the difference between evolutionary theory and the hypothesis of abiogenesis or panspermia. A theory is based on testable, independently verifiable and reproducible facts whereas a hypothesis is a possibility that hasn't been able to be independently verified. Huge diff ce. Additionally, abiogenesis and panspermia deal with the chemical processes that led to life arising on earth. Evolution doesn't concern itself with the origins, its concerns itself with what has happened since life began.

Anything you link to intelligent life points back to intelligent creation....Sorry evolutionists but you can't evolve into an intelligent species from nothing.....Take bacteria, any kind you like, and run an experiment to turn it intelligent over time.....It won't happen...

Evolution doesn't require intelligence as a facet of the process. Are plants intelligent? Are bacteria intelligent? To claim that the only answer is an intelligent designer requires you tosupport your assertion with facts. It won't happen but one can try.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

You should see how many Americans still believe in ghosts, demon possession and angels.

The theory of evolution is only a theory and has more validating support than magic (creationism.) But it's still just a theory, teaching otherwise is a disservice. Personally I go with the belief of a theory that is most supported until a better idea comes along.

Ghosts, etc are pretty much completely unsubstantiated with verifiable facts but it doesn't make them false. There's a lot of anecdotal support for them but to simply say they don't exist without proof puts people in the same camp as people who say the world was magically created (but can't prove any of it.)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

you should see how many Americans are so closed minded that they will only believe in their own five senses and what the public school and University system say is real. A closed mind can only comprehend a selfish, small, and finite spectrum of the living Universe. I would take a stupid open mind over a intelligent closed mind anyday.

Now a Stupid Closed mind is another story....dont ever get to many of those in the same room

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DocScurlock

oh but they do gather.. they call it a Republican convention.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

For example, the evolutionary jump from lizard to bird. That would be cross-species evolution. There certainly is enough evidence to support a theory, but personally, I don't see how it would support a belief. When you "believe" something, you are merely entertaining one of many possibilities, and usually ruling out any others. One does not "believe" a scientific model or paradigm. One works with that paradigm until it shifts. Evolution is a workable model, but a belief in any model requires more Faith than it does evidence. Until recently, we HAD enough evidence for many to believe The Big Bang Theory. New evidence suggests this model is incorrect. Sometimes when we believe we have the truth, we stop looking for the truth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join