It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprising Number Of Americans Still Don't Believe In Evolution

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mveins0

That's cute, people actually believe there are two parties. That we vote for those party's. And that our vote is heard. Get it together man, and tell your friends what you find out

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
This just shows how much America has fallen. I don't know of a single other First World country where the reality of evolution is still consistently debated. How can we ever hope to be the best when a third of our population can't even grasp basic scientific principles?

The theory of evolution serves the same purpose that the theory of creation does....and that is to shut down a discussion that should never be shut down.

Perhaps our existence is a combination of evolution and creationism. I appreciate the fact that we don't all follow the same dogma.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The responses in this thread so far on both sides are disgusting. Really? Insult ones ideology or beliefs and your no better than a bible thumping Catholic or Christian. Passive aggressive responses belittling someones intelligence based on there belief system. /applaud your childish antics. There doesn't always have to be "brainwashing" or "indocterination" for people to believe what they do. That's called FREEDOM OF RELIGION!

Does it mean religion is right??? HELL NO! DOES IT MEAN YOUR RIGHT??? HELL NO!!! I'd rather seperate myself from both sides and watch you guys bicker like school girls over a cute or not boy. If you could only keep the blatent IGNORANCE out of it.

To the threader regarding people believing in angels, demons and possessions. They do exist and the prime example is in this thread.

Here's a fact, Science has been found to be wrong just as Religion has. So in the end we have 2 instittions that are WRONG and NOT PERFECT!

Congratulations, here's my peace sign w/o the index finger.

There's your evolution at the same level displayed in this thread~

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DocScurlock

You're.. adorable. There are more than two parties.. just fyi.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

DocScurlock
reply to post by TLomon

Is there 100 percent irrefutable evidence that evolution is real?

Yes.

Natural Selection occurs when these people get sick and die because they prayed for healing as opposed to seeing a doctor.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Is this about believing in evolution or believing in the present theory of evolution? That is two completely different things in my book. If it is about the present theory, I don't believe it is good enough to accept.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I just read the whole study.....very interesting...60% believe in evolution (6 out of 10) and 33% reject the concept...the majority who reject are evangelicals...I would be curious to know what % of evangelicals home school (or go to schools that don't cover Darwinism...) Could definitely explain the 33%

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

stonergeek
reply to post by TLomon

What is there to believe? Darwin observed mutations withing species. There has yet to be any evidence of cross-species evolution. If you believe in something without evidence, it is Faith. Most people who reject the Theory of Evolution already have a different Faith.

science is not a faith. No matter how many times the theist try to use this particular piece of propaganda, as seen on these boards a hundred times, it just isn't so.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by antonia

You should see how many Americans still believe in ghosts, demon possession and angels.

The theory of evolution is only a theory and has more validating support than magic (creationism.) But it's still just a theory, teaching otherwise is a disservice. Personally I go with the belief of a theory that is most supported until a better idea comes along.

Please research the difference between the definition of everyday theory and the definition of scientific theory. Gravity, is also a theory, we also know it to be true.

Please start with those most basic terms, first.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stonergeek

The big bang is a hypothesis, it was never a theory.

ANd this is why 33% of Americans don't believe in evolution because they don't even understand basic scientific definitions, because they skipped biology and chemistry one too many times.

edit on 30-12-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mveins0

there is only one, and that is why we loose freedom everyday.

like i said do some research and use your common sense to come to your own conclusion.

I dont know why we are discussing politics though this is an evolution thread. Im done here unless you want to continue the on going discussion via U2U.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

DocScurlock
reply to post by TLomon

Is there 100 percent irrefutable evidence that evolution is real?

Yes.

Natural Selection occurs when these people get sick and die because they prayed for healing as opposed to seeing a doctor.

I usually stay off these religion vs science threads, and your response is a perfect example of why I do. Kinda of an ugly response you left.

This is a fairly profound subject, with enough scientific and spiritual nuances to keep the human mind busy with it for centuries. So sad to know it is being used for divisive ugliness, and you drug the discussion down to the lowest common denominator.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by TLomon

I'm actually surprised the figures are aren't higher than they are. We live in a religious world. Most creationists I know reject evolution outright. Not that evolution precludes creation. It doesn't. I would say considering the belief systems of our world, science and indoctrination centers...er...schools have done a pretty good job.

you and me both...the only surprise for me is that the creationists believers make up only 33% of the population....I thought it would be in the range of 55% to 65%

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

DocScurlock
I dont know why we are discussing politics though this is an evolution thread.

Like I said... baggage.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DocScurlock

Oh.. I'm just doing it because I can mostly. I have no love for any political party, if it were up to me all politicians regardless of affiliation.. and with no exceptions.. would hang for treason. I like to poke fun at republicans though, as they're so awash with hypocrisy, that I truly loathe them more. And since its generally the religious right that is generally militant about things like evolution, that don't fit into their holy fairy tale book... well here we are

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

There doesn't always have to be "brainwashing" or "indocterination" for people to believe what they do. That's called FREEDOM OF RELIGION!

If you're referring to my post on the first page, it wasn't a dig on those who believe either creationism or evolution. It was a dig on our "education" system in general. Same goes for the remainder of my post. Not a dig on either side. Just my observations.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I like the ones that inhale over the counter meds every time they get the sniffels, and get there xanax refilled everytime there having a bad day, and then need medication just to have sex, and then on top of that take more medication to ease the side effects of the current medication they are on. Then wonder how they got cancer or(Put disease here). Their FAITH in modern medicine seems to be just as fatal as praying to a dude hanging out in the clouds.
edit on Mon20142013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00th2013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00000000Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:43:17 -0600Monday20142013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I never said "science is faith" I said "belief is faith". Most people are not scientists. They are presented with simplified models that fit their understanding.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."

--- Box, George E. P.; Norman R. Draper (1987). Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces, p. 424, Wiley. ISBN 0471810339.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

you and me both...the only surprise for me is that the creationists believers make up only 33% of the population....I thought it would be in the range of 55% to 65%

Your estimates may be closer than you think. Who knows how accurate this research really is. I noticed the percentage of those who answered "I don't know" are not included. That's one variable, how many more are there?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

DocScurlock
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I like the ones that inhale over the counter meds every time they get the sniffels, and get there xanax refilled everytime there having a bad day, and then need medication just to have sex, and then on top of that take more medication to ease the side effects of the current medication they are on. Then wonder how they got cancer or(Put disease here). Their FAITH in modern medicine seems to be just as fatal as praying to a dude hanging out in the clouds.
edit on Mon20142013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00th2013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00000000Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:43:17 -0600Monday20142013-12-30T15:43:17-06:00 by DocScurlock because: (no reason given)

Hey! Leave me out of this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join