It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Remnants Of ISON Found By Amateur Astronomer - NASA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Now in interesting twist amateur Astronomer possible found ISON.

According to him "I tried imaging of the ephemeris of C/2012 S1 ISON at 11,000 feet above sea level. There looked to be some faint and vast elongated object near the direction on the frame showing some amount of IFN, integrated flux nebulae, though I can not confirm it the remnant of the comet. The object was faint as IFN."

Source : www.ufo-blogger.com...

Even NASA jumps on board and tweeted above ISON image as possible confirmation of Comet ISON remnants.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Quick, man the Cheesy-signal! Get him in here, stat!
Cheesy, your favorite topic of 2013 might last into 2014 after all, buddy!

I somehow didn't think it was obliterated. Smaller, much smaller maybe, but not gone all together. I held out a smidge of hope

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Nyiah
Quick, man the Cheesy-signal! Get him in here, stat!
Cheesy, your favorite topic of 2013 might last into 2014 after all, buddy!

I somehow didn't think it was obliterated. Smaller, much smaller maybe, but not gone all together. I held out a smidge of hope

ISON represent HOPE !

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Here's your picture. i'ts interesting that there is still some remnants left.

edit on 30-12-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
interesting. so comet Ison is now a pile of burnt rocks shooting away from the sun. Someone actually found the remnants. If this guy found something, why didn't NASA find it. NASA just said it was not where they thought it would be when Hubble tried to find it. Maybe they will use this info to find it. They would need to know the exact time and location the photo was taken to find it. It's traveling pretty fast.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

NASA is a SCAM !

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

rickymouse
interesting. so comet Ison is now a pile of burnt rocks shooting away from the sun. Someone actually found the remnants. If this guy found something, why didn't NASA find it.

Because amateur astronomers typically devote more time to comets and asteroids. Most meteor tracking as part of NASA's CAMS network is done by amateurs.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Hubble was looking for significant fragments of the comet, larger than about 150 meters in size. Hubble can't see the overall dust cloud, the field of view is orders of magnitude too narrow. Amateurs are best-suited to detect the large dust cloud at this point, but even I was unable to acquire it with a very high end wide field telescope. This amateur used exposures that were significantly longer than mine though, and had an even wider field of view. This is important to be able to find very low surface brightness features.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Where will it be tomorrow and around what time? Can you see it with the naked eye?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

ngchunter

Hubble was looking for significant fragments of the comet, larger than about 150 meters in size. Hubble can't see the overall dust cloud, the field of view is orders of magnitude too narrow. Amateurs are best-suited to detect the large dust cloud at this point, but even I was unable to acquire it with a very high end wide field telescope. This amateur used exposures that were significantly longer than mine though, and had an even wider field of view. This is important to be able to find very low surface brightness features.

Well said. Just curious, what is the aperture and FOV of your 'scope?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Huumm interesting, just when we thought ison was done, here we go again

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
the word i hear is that ISON is now a 300,000 mile wide ... cone shaped ... debris field

the ice behaved as a propellent and scattered the remaining rocky debris in a cone shaped field instead of a defined comet tail column of fractured comet parts (like the fractured up comet shoemaker-levy series of some 23 separate pieces that moved like a string-of-pearls to their doom)

the pope francis comet i.e.: ISON is scattered in a cloud of ice-rocks as big as from the Earth to the Moon and has a trajectory that is similar to a Solar CME heading toward planet Earth...
the cone shaped cloud of debris (ISON remnants) has objects as small as a football up to chunks the size of a bus...according to the video

~sorry~ (i do not have the time to retrieve the YouTube video ~ about 8 minutes long)

in the early morning sky... find the big dipper on the low horizon.... straight up from the dipper, about 60 degrees up is the area of the once comet ison debris field
edit on th31138845062330432014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

rickymouse
interesting. so comet Ison is now a pile of burnt rocks shooting away from the sun. Someone actually found the remnants. If this guy found something, why didn't NASA find it...

Comets have always been the purview of amateur astronomers. NASA rarely gets involved with comet discovery, considering the amateurs' smaller equipment is better for scanning large areas of sky.

NASA does not really operate many telescopes other that their space telescopes, and many of them (Swift, Kepler, STEREO, etc.) are used for other specific purposes (i.e., NOT looking for comets), and as ngchunter explained, the Hubble's field of view is too small to have seen this remnant cloud, and the field of view is too small to be an efficient comet hunter in general.

Almost all comets (except for the sundivers and sungrazers that are incidentally discovered by the space-based solar observatories) are discovered by amateurs or psuedo-amateur organizations, such as the ISON organization (International Scientific Optical Network)

edit on 12/30/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

St Udio
the word i hear is that ISON is now a 300,000 mile wide ... cone shaped ... debris field

the ice behaved as a propellent and scattered the remaining rocky debris in a cone shaped field instead of a defined comet tail column of fractured comet parts (like the fractured up comet shoemaker-levy series of some 23 separate pieces that moved like a string-of-pearls to their doom)

the pope francis comet i.e.: ISON is scattered in a cloud of ice-rocks as big as from the Earth to the Moon and has a trajectory that is similar to a Solar CME heading toward planet Earth...
the cone shaped cloud of debris (ISON remnants) has objects as small as a football up to chunks the size of a bus...according to the video

~sorry~ (i do not have the time to retrieve the YouTube video ~ about 8 minutes long)

in the early morning sky... find the big dipper on the low horizon.... straight up from the dipper, about 60 degrees up is the area of the once comet ison debris field

is the debris field on the same trajectory as the comet was originally?

Or has it been changed a bit by the effects of the Sun?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

I have an old bushnell telescope I bought in 1968 for a hundred seventy bucks brand new from Duluth when we went there to buy cloths. I used the money earned picking strawberries and managing the self picker fields. I also bought a very good microscope on that trip for a hundred bucks. Both had excellent lenses We also have a sears piece of junk I bought for a hundred ten bucks on sale fifteen years ago, that is good for birdwatching.

I used to be into astronomy before I got interested in girls. I never really got back into it that much. I actually should give my Telescopes to the grandkids, I think they will enjoy them.

Oops, I guess you weren't talking to me

edit on 30-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Awesome! Thank you, I thought it was at dusk, not in the AM...... So no wonder I couldn't see it!? I will look in the morning. Thanks again...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
UPDATE

Jan. 16 May Be Last Best Chance to Search for Comet ISON’s Remains

Read more: www.universetoday.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

JadeStar
Well said. Just curious, what is the aperture and FOV of your 'scope?

It was a rental telescope, a Takahashi FSQ Fluorite Petzval Apochromat Astrograph. Aperture of 106mm, focal length of 530mm, field of view 2.6 x 3.9 degrees.
edit on 31-12-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

ChesterJohn

is the debris field on the same trajectory as the comet was originally?

Or has it been changed a bit by the effects of the Sun?

the large debris field is generally following the expected orbit path of the once consolidated comet...

but i guess the key words here by that video source is that the fragmented ISON (now a debris field) is following the path/trajectory of a Solar CME...
in as much as the scattering is taking away the forward momentum.speed...

so... the ISON comet will never become a periodic meteor shower event.... the disintierated ISON is now a very wide and scattered debris field much like a shotgun pattern of buckshot pellets a mile away from the muzzle...

at the rate of scattering, the debris field will not be recognized even as a 'cloud' of debris by the time It passes the orbit of Mars... thats my thinking, not a space scientists opinion

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ok ill say it. Cheesy is here. I can feel him... watching over us like the ghost of ISON sits over the planet earth. I miss him. But, we didn't deserve him. I know that now. He does not belong in a place like this. He deserves much better. Here's to you, Cheesy. I hope to see your avatar with the big smile around the corner of one of these threads I keep coming to hoping to find you. I don't care if we deserve you or not... I just want you back in my life! CHEEEEEEESYYYYY!!!!!!!! *echoing throughout eternity*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join