It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten killed in new attack in Russian city of Volgograd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
A suicide bomber killed 17 people Sunday in the attack on the train station of Volgograd, and now another attack has taken place on a trolleybus, killing 10.

Russia's national anti-terror committee said that Sunday's bombing could have been caused by a bomb left in the centre of the trolleybus, and not a suicide bomber.

These two attacks are fueling security fears about the Sochi Olympic Games just six weeks away.

I hope we can have our Olympic Games without something terrible happening!

Read more here:
news.yahoo.com...

Moscow (AFP) - At least 10 people were killed on Monday in a bombing that destroyed a packed trolleybus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd, a day after 17 people died in a suicide strike on the city's main train station.

"At 8:10 am (0410 GMT) there was an explosion on trolleybus number 15A in Volgograd. At least 10 people were killed and 15 wounded. The trolleybus was totally destroyed," the Investigative Committee said.

The new attack will further heighten fears about security at the Winter Olympic Games which are due to open on February 7 in Russia's Black Sea resort of Sochi, which lies 690 kilometres (425 miles) southwest of Volgograd.

edit on 12/30/2013 by sled735 because: add pic

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Chechen Islamists courtesy of the Saudi's? Putin will not stand for this

edit on 30-12-2013 by cass1dy09 because: picture

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Putin ain't runnin' nothin'. He's a puppet, just like Obama and every other "leader" in our "world". And guess what? We're the audience.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I remember reading an article some time ago that mentioned some veiled threats made by Prince Bandar bin Sultan, now head of Saudi Intelligence. According to the article he basically said that he could "ensure" there were no "incidents" leading up to and during the Winter Olympics....... if Russia played ball and ceased support for Syria. Needless to say, that support didn't end.

Mow I am not saying these attacks are related, but sure does seem coincidental, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
08:31 GMT: The death toll rises to 14 people. 27 are now hospitalized, two of whom are in critical condition.

08:30 GMT: An explosion equal in strength to 4 kilograms of TNT took place in the attack, according to the investigative committee.

08:00 GMT: The president of Russia's Olympic Committee, Aleksandr Zhukov told ITAR-TASS that "as far as the Olympics in Sochi are concerned, all precautionary measures have been taken... I don't think any further measures in the aftermath of the Volgograd terror attack are going to be taken, we are confident that everything that could have been done, was."

Among the security measures are special spectator ID cards and other state-of-the-art technologies.

07:50 GMT: Arthur Atayev, Russia’s Institute of Strategic Research told RT that "the purpose is to destabilize all of Southern Russia, especially in the run up to the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Those behind the attack pursue the goal of showing to their own investors in turn that terrorism, jihadism is bearing fruit, it's profitable and has a foothold in Southern Russia.
rt.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Britguy
I remember reading an article some time ago that mentioned some veiled threats made by Prince Bandar bin Sultan, now head of Saudi Intelligence. According to the article he basically said that he could "ensure" there were no "incidents" leading up to and during the Winter Olympics....... if Russia played ball and ceased support for Syria. Needless to say, that support didn't end.

Mow I am not saying these attacks are related, but sure does seem coincidental, doesn't it?

I've had that same gnawing memory since I first heard of these attacks...and wondering if I had dreamed it. Was it when he was trying to strike a deal over Syria?

Bingo! found it. www.telegraph.co.uk...

As-Safir said Prince Bandar pledged to safeguard Russia’s naval base in Syria if the Assad regime is toppled, but he also hinted at Chechen terrorist attacks on Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if there is no accord. “I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us,” he allegedly said.

Of course, it was all denied by Putin's reps---the discussion never happened. So would the rebuffed Prince try to jerk the chain of Vlad?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I think these 2 attacks are meant to send a message to the Russians.Basically we can hit you and hurt you and you can't stop us.I'm almost positive now that there is going to be big trouble at Sochi with the worlds media there to broadcast the carnage.I hope I'm wrong but...

join