It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Greenhouse Gas Discovered That Is 7,100 Times Worse than CO2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

December 27, 2013 |

With a name like perfluorotributylamine, the latest greenhouse gas to be discovered is a tongue twister. But you should learn how to say it, as this synthetic chemical could mean dangerous business for the climate.
Perfluorotributylamine (or PFTBA) is an artificial compound commonly used since the 1950’s in electrical equipment and heat transfer agents. According to a recent study in the scientific journal Geophysical Research Letters , PFTBA has a significantly higher capacity to capture solar radiation than carbon dioxide. How significant? PFTBA is about 7,100 times more effective than CO2 at heating the globe over a 100-year span.

New Greenhouse Gas Discovered That Is 7,100 Times Worse than CO2

"We claim that PFTBA has the highest radiative efficiency of any molecule detected in the atmosphere to date," Angela Hong, a Toronto based co-author of the report, told The Guardian. Furthermore, the molecule can stay in the atmosphere for quite a long time – about 500 years. This longevity greatly exceeds CO2, which is constantly being cycled back into organic material through ecological processes (although not nearly as quickly as it is emitted by industrial sources). But don’t panic yet. Based on measurements taken in Toronto, the gas is 0.18 parts per trillion in the atmosphere. When compared to carbon dioxide levels – now at 400 parts per million – that is a tiny contribution to global temperature rise. "From a climate change perspective, individually, P

This is not an alarmist post. It is more about being aware of how little we really know about how humans have actually affected our climate. One has to wonder how many compounds are not regulated. Compounds that industry spews into the air on a daily basis.

IMO it is impossible to deny humans have had a hand in Climate Change. Oh and I have way to much time on my hands in the off season.
edit on 29-12-2013 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's funny...

They say this chemical can remain up high for as long as 500 years.

After calming down of the original shock, I have a hard time to take it all very seriously, when people are mentioning things, which they can't possibly even know for a fact. Since it's only come into existence 60 years ago. 500 years of it doing anything... is a little unprofessional to add, without knowing it for sure,

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I can't disagree with you on that one. Us humans have not been here long enough to know the shelf life of many things. Heck, most of us don't even know when food rots in the fridge.

Although with the same logic how can we know for certain that Plutonium has such a long shelf life? I suspect there is a test for this type of thing but I am not a scientist, just an avid reader with a serious interest in our environment.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

"Perfluorotributylamine (or PFTBA) is an artificial compound commonly used since the 1950’s in electrical equipment and heat transfer agents."

Note to Obama:
Ban all electrical equipment ASAP!

edit on 29-12-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Because plutonium is radioactive and you can use a formula to calculate how long it takes. We also know a lot of stuff about the decay of radioactive material and time it needs.

We do not know a what will influence the chemical on topic will have and if other influences will have any effect on it.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So what happens if this proves they made CO2 the fall guy for MMGW?
WHoops! Wrong molecule to blame! Sorry about the extra taxes but well keep them in place since it's too late now.
Coming Soon: Al Gore and the hockey stick vs electrical component manufacturers.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I guess you missed this part:

But don’t panic yet. Based on measurements taken in Toronto, the gas is 0.18 parts per trillion in the atmosphere. When compared to carbon dioxide levels – now at 400 parts per million – that is a tiny contribution to global temperature rise.

top topics

join