It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap sushi - new Chinese syle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
OK, so we have this lake built around an old quarry and a Chinese-run Asian restaurant has opened there.

En route to other restaurants we actually got enticed to give it a go, and the first time it wasn't bad.
The wine is comparatively cheap, and one can eat as much sushi as one likes for just over R100.

There were some ominous warning signs right from the start however.
There were cameras at every corner of the place, the furniture looked cheap and second-hand, but apart from that the black staff looked somehow terrified.
There was a sense that everyone who operated this place, or worked there, was in South Africa illegally.
When our bill came, the black waiter told us to please tip him, because otherwise the management would take it.
This made me feel very uncomfortable.

The second time we went (not my idea) they basically threw my friend off her chair outside where she was having a cigarette, and they said they were closing.
Also, the sushi didn't taste fresh, and it had a stale, fishy aftertaste.

The entire restaurant is watched over by a Chinese lady like a hawk.

The last and final time I went I ordered Thai glass noodles, and it was exactly the same reddish sauce and noodles as their Chinese dishes I've had before.
I called the Chinese lady over to check, and she suddenly looked very unpleasant and irritable.
It's Thai glass noodles, according to her.

Now I see that there are many complaints, and if customers complain she shouts at them and literally throws them out of the restaurant!
This happened to many people.
I think I got off lightly.

Now I see people are also saying the salmon in the sushi is fish guts, and some complained the sushi smells (natural smell according to Nancy), and some people were sick.

Since 2006 the Chinese from Fujian Province have been coming to South Africa in droves.

People talk about apartheid, but I've never seen workers, and sometimes customers so badly abused as under these people (who are even disliked by local Chinese).
We even joked (I hope) that Nancy has a whip in the kitchen and flogs the staff.

Why are they even here?

In any case, I assume when the black people have had enough there will be a major backlash.
I shudder to think of what could happen, considering our recent episodes of xenophobia.

It's clear that the Chinese lady (Nancy) is not interested in returning or loyal customers, and people suspect the whole business is some form of money laundering operation that will disappear overnight.

Anyway, that's some feelings we have about the new Chinese colonists.

I'm just wondering: does one find these Chinese place in the US and the UK too?

We shouldn't support these places, but people will fall for it once or twice.
It's a numbers game, and when the numbers run out they just move.

edit on 27-12-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Eh, the Chinese are becoming famous for their unethical business practices. Wonder what happened to honor over there? They even cheated at the Olympics. It's scary that these people may be the new top power soon. I mean, honestly, if you thought America was bad just wait. Not trying to be prejudice or anything, just saying. I have never been to such a place, but I rarely eat Chinese.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AnnKoontz

Thanks for the reply.
I also don't want to knock all Chinese restaurants and businesses.
Some of them are top class.

But I think there's a truth here that must be told.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

halfoldman
OK, so we have this lake built around an old quarry and a Chinese-run Asian restaurant has opened there.

En route to other restaurants we actually got enticed to give it a go, and the first time it wasn't bad.
The wine is comparatively cheap, and one can eat as much sushi as one likes for just over R100.

There were some ominous warning signs right from the start however.
There were cameras at every corner of the place, the furniture looked cheap and second-hand, but apart from that the black staff looked somehow terrified.
There was a sense that everyone who operated this place, or worked there, was in South Africa illegally.
When our bill came, the black waiter told us to please tip him, because otherwise the management would take it.
This made me feel very uncomfortable.

The second time we went (not my idea) they basically threw my friend off her chair outside where she was having a cigarette, and they said they were closing.
Also, the sushi didn't taste fresh, and it had a stale, fishy aftertaste.

The entire restaurant is watched over by a Chinese lady like a hawk.

The last and final time I went I ordered Thai glass noodles, and it was exactly the same reddish sauce and noodles as their Chinese dishes I've had before.
I called the Chinese lady over to check, and she suddenly looked very unpleasant and irritable.
It's Thai glass noodles, according to her.

Now I see that there are many complaints, and if customers complain she shouts at them and literally throws them out of the restaurant!
This happened to many people.
I think I got off lightly.

Now I see people are also saying the salmon in the sushi is fish guts, and some complained the sushi smells (natural smell according to Nancy), and some people were sick.

Since 2006 the Chinese from Fujian Province have been coming to South Africa in droves.

People talk about apartheid, but I've never seen workers, and sometimes customers so badly abused as under these people (who are even disliked by local Chinese).
We even joked (I hope) that Nancy has a whip in the kitchen and flogs the staff.

Why are they even here?

In any case, I assume when the black people have had enough there will be a major backlash.
I shudder to think of what could happen, considering our recent episodes of xenophobia.

It's clear that the Chinese lady (Nancy) is not interested in returning or loyal customers, and people suspect the whole business is some form of money laundering operation that will disappear overnight.

Anyway, that's some feelings we have about the new Chinese colonists.

I'm just wondering: does one find these Chinese place in the US and the UK too?

We shouldn't support these places, but people will fall for it once or twice.
It's a numbers game, and when the numbers run out they just move.

edit on 27-12-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

None of this suprises me it reminds me of their vehicles 'great wall'-- due to the fact thats the last thing you see when you drive those cars.

new topics

top topics

join