It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

google earth data " off line "

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
hi - is it possible to " pre load " google earth data ? - only need a 3km * 4km " slice "

my situation - I will be going into a area with no Wi-Fi but want to be able to reference GE data of where I am

I have an android phone - and will have 3g signal in aprox 60 / 70% of the area I will be surveying

but GE view would be usefull as a counterpoint to the map data I will have [ plus - as my GPS connects to the laptop - I can create annotations and placemarks direct to GE and my OS maps atlas - using GPS data

before anyone says it - no I don't want to plug my phone into the laptop - thought I have unlimited data as my contract has " no tethering " - so its going to cost me money

I have looked at all GE toolbars - and my phone settings - and cannot figure how to transfere data - either using Bluetooth or wifi - without it racking up data use charges

oh - and GE for android is useless - unless I have missed something - it cannot even use placemarks

edit on 22-12-2013 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Ape, not that I know of...and I'm not just guessing but reading the regs they have on this specifically within the last year. I want some map captures and small areas for a web site and don't want a live link to Google servers for a couple things to possible get "adapted to new standards of privacy" for what can be viewed later.

Very different purposes ..same desire.

Google Map/Google Earth Terms of Service that I had seen in more than one spot said live link it, or you don't get it to use without violating their terms. I've moved to using a different map server entirely because of their demand that it be perma-stream linked to them with no "legal" option to present any of it, otherwise.

If you find another way that isn't a hack or crack to accomplish it (of course, no interest on that) then please do share! I'd love to know.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've never had any success with it, but according to them.. it is doable.

Google Maps.
support.google.com...

Offline maps overview

With offline maps on Google Maps for Android, you can view a map even when you aren't connected to the Internet. To create an offline map, select and download a specific area on the map.

Benefits of offline maps

View step-by-step list
No data plan? Download certain areas of Google Maps to your device for use in places without an Internet connection, or if you're outside wi-fi coverage on a phone without a data plan.
Poor reception? Use offline maps in locations where you can’t get a good signal.
Don’t have unlimited data? Save on costs associated with accessing Google Maps on a mobile network by using offline maps instead.

Google Earth
support.google.com...

Google Earth works best with a live internet connection. You can, however, cache (save) small amounts of data that you can access when you're offline.

To do so, log on to the internet and visit the imagery you'd like to view while you're offline. Please pay attention to the Streaming indicator, which appears just below and a little to the right of your images. When this indicator has reached 100% for the imagery you're viewing, Google Earth has gathered all available data for that specific altitude and settings, so you can disconnect from the internet.

Please remember that once you're disconnected, you'll be able to view cached areas only.

As I say, I've never been able to do it, but that was with an ancient android device running 2.3.x. I've since upgraded to a galaxy tab with 3G and 4.3.x and it's not been an issue for me, but it would still be handy to know.

Pretty bad for a mapping service to require live internet connection if you're planning to actually USE it as a mapping service.. lol

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Google Map/Google Earth Terms of Service that I had seen in more than one spot said live link it, or you don't get it to use without violating their terms. I've moved to using a different map server entirely because of their demand that it be perma-stream linked to them with no "legal" option to present any of it, otherwise.

Which other map server do you use? Is it comparable to Google Earth? I'm curious because I would like another option and am not google-friendly but, Google Earth/Maps is just too good for me to not use.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Well, we need this offline, so a server is what I don't use for computer/laptop stuff. My phone is different because it's always connected cell or otherwise so I've never had to look for a non-network way of mapping from that device.

Anything else I have that is PC format?

Street Atlas USA 2013 Plus

Mine is a couple versions older as I stopped updating when I got off the truck. I used it for many years though, and it has what I considered a selling point.

When installing, it will allow POI's amd Map data to be imported by region, state or the whole nation. That imports 100% of everything, if needed ..and of course, I always needed and still do.

Once installed, it gives a level of accuracy I never once had issue with, nation-wide and in a line of work where a goof on a map can have tragic outcomes with that big a vehicle and a sudden need to turn around (lol...turn what??).

It also gives a look up, pan zoom and manipulation speed so far beyond the internet we've all come to take as the standard to measure on things like mapping ...it's closer to instant view on everything.

Hope that helps..and I'm definitely checking back to see if someone actually makes offline display work in more than instructional theory and can explain just how they did it.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Use your cell as a hotspot. There are a few apps. Then connect your laptop to your cell hotspot.

Then you can get your map data.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I contract for this company working on map data actually, mostly user's reporting problems with directions and data being incorrect/old. But I see and have access to the abundant amount of map data they own, and it's mind boggling!

Back before I worked for them I used to love Google Earth for research and discovering info. The older versions where much friendlier, but the basics are still the same.

The cache is what you want to increase, but unfortunately I don't think you can ever make it large enough to get the whole planet, let alone a single country or even region, cached for offline use.

Here's the deal. The database that is serving the aerial imagery is dynamic and always being updated. This usually depends on what's going on. Like in Fukushima they updated the aerials almost immediately after the incident, and it's still odd how they sent a streetview team in recently to gather data on that ghost town and the cleanup process. The aerials I checked just last week were really scary, 1000's of storage tanks and new structures.

They are the largest resource for global digital map data that I can tell, but definitely not implementing it the best for research-style use.

All I can say for certain is that any serious trucking company or delivery service won't be using Google map products to get correct information.

top topics

join