It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pseudoscientific Use of Science Fallacy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

and their demand typically requires, implicitly, that the demonstration be carried out within the terms available within the current model. if they are not speaking our jargon, we cannot understand them, and we assume them to be wrong.

but again, the new paradigm is under no obligation whatsoever to describe itself with the terms available inside of the current paradigm. relativity is not beholden to celestial spheres.

going back to the point of the op: if all we ever use in the development of new science is regurgitated ideas from within the establishment, how in the hell are we going to get anywhere at all?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

To sort through your excess verbiage:

how in the hell are we going to get anywhere at all?

The same way we have gotten away from thinking the Earth is the center of the universe. The same way we figured out exactly how much to adjust those GPS clocks.

Science.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i know i am not clever with words. sorry.

science.

yes.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Can you please tell me: what computers does Microsoft design? What integrated circuits? Last I heard they made software.

The Xbox and the Surface Pro.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

No.
That would be Intel who designed and built the CPUs. Various others made other parts.
But you're partly right about the Surface. Microsoft did design the architecture.
edit on 12/22/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No. That would be Intel who designed and built the CPUs. Various others made other parts. But you're partly right about the Surface. Microsoft did design the architecture.

Whew.

I thought you were going to say, "that is how we designed the Surface Pro..... Science".

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

could you please tell me: what scientific role did the marketing department of miscosoft have?

The psychology of the consumer. How else do you think these mega-corporations get so many people to buy the latest iPhone, tablet, iPod, or whatever other fancy gizmo they're touting this week, that will be obsolete by the next? That's all science. The science of the mind, and in what ways advertisements can influence it.

maybe you would like to tell me what technical expertise the accounting office had to share?

Numbers, numbers, numbers, my friend. Without proper record keeping and balancing the ol' check book, then the company would capsize and go belly up. Financial studies and economic theories are scientific as well. Studying the trends of the market, the prices of parts, and so on, all come together to create a company that can build a better, faster, smarter, stronger machine, for less. Whether or not you agree with them is irrelevant, because there is a whole system of theories behind the science of accounting.

what about the app developers? their contributions to this technology must be HUGE, right?

Actually, depending on what applications you're talking about, yes it is. The company I work for works with a gentleman who created an application for rendering virtual 3D models out of a series of photographs. He is the only one on the market with an app that does that. His study and time and effort has resulted in a working product that does what no other can. Now, say we decided not to pay him for the app, or to stop donating to him, then all of his careful study of the product would be thrown outgo out. The app would become weighed down with coding errors, bugs, and other malfunctions. The creator of the app had to know what he was doing to have created it.

So, yes, accountants, marketing people, coders and app creators: all of them are vital to the science behind computers, technology, and the sale of both.

All of that was irrelevant though, because a simple fact remains:

If the science behind computers was faulty, then no computer would work. Since computers do work, then the science is good.

You can go stick your own head up a horse's arse now.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 23/12/13 by Wandering Scribe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

i can see that my response to you was not clear enough in its intent. i certainly did not mean to imply that you personally are a horse's arse or otherwise offend. that was quite a strong ending to your post.

say we decided not to pay him for the app.... the app would become weighed down with coding errors, bugs, and other malfunctions.

and quite handily you have shown that the influence of 'making a living' upon the designer can have an incredibly detrimental impact on the science itself. thus my point: all science, and his science in particular, is corruptable by whatever irrelevant circumstances surround the development process.

sorry for offending you.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

The problem I have with 'peer-reviewed' is that all it does it keep reinforcing the same retarded faith based dogma. They take the misinformation that they have been taught is truth, and scan your paper to see if it adheres to their bull#, and when it doesn't they label it a pseudoscience... Nothing is more pseduoscientific than mainstream science..

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

And that is why I use the Socratic method. I ask questions and find out whether preconceived ideas are true.
It is about looking and investigating for oneself.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Being an advocate of someone else’s interpretation of phenomena, someone else’s science paper, someone else’s book, isn’t a sign of scientific thinking, not unless the advocate himself has approached the exact same subject using the exact same scientific method and has reached the same conclusions from the exact same observations, because that is at least a part of what the scientific method entails. Therefor, presenting someone else’s science as truth, simply because it has been deemed science, without first rigorously confirming it as true, is a leap of faith, breaches into the realm of pseudoscience, and as such, is a fallacy in argument.

Don't you see what you have done? You used the word "faith," meaning an irrational belief that something is so, instead of the correct word: "trust." Stepping off a cliff in the belief that a supernatural entity you have no evidence for will waft you gently to Earth is literally a leap of faith. Falling backwards with the expectation that one's friend will catch one is an act of trust; there is someone who can be held accountable if they do not perform as agreed! We do not have faith in the postman, we trust them not to steal our mail. Why? Is it because the Post Office only hires employees of exceptional integrity? No, it is because there is a system of inspections and punishments for those who do not obey the rules.

The scientific establishment is not a church, as all too many believe. It does not issue ex cathedra dogma about the way of the world. Neither is it lone geniuses laboring in basements, probing the secrets of the universe in isolation. Science is conducted by increasingly large numbers of persons who maintain strong links of communication. They not only cooperate, each team submits others' work to intense, jealous review. If someone falsifies data, it will eventually be discovered, and that can end a career. (Cf: "Cold Fusion." ) If something passes the peer review, you can readily trust the results.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by tgidkp

could you please tell me: what scientific role did the marketing department of miscosoft have?

Can you please tell me: what computers does Microsoft design? What integrated circuits?
Last I heard they made software. As one who does it on occasion, I have to admit that's not really science.
edit on 12/21/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Don't Microsoft make the X-Box? Also, the nearly forgotten Zune, as well as a phone in partnership with Nokia (although I'd imagine MS does the software & Nokia the hardware).
edit on 24-12-2013 by cuckooold because: How did humans ever learn correct grammar and spelling without alien intervention?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

So basically because a 'higher authority' says so, you should just believe them right? I can't name how many times doctors have prescribed faulty treatments over more natural ones, claiming that the natural ones can never work...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

So basically because a 'higher authority' says so, you should just believe them right? I can't name how many times doctors have prescribed faulty treatments over more natural ones, claiming that the natural ones can never work...

That is exactly the opposite of what I wrote. Please re-read. It is Occultism that is obsessed with "Higher Authority." I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with physicians. Not all of them stay current on research.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

faith |fāTH|
noun
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something: this restores one's faith in politicians.
2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
• a system of religious belief: the Christian faith.
• a strongly held belief or theory: the faith that life will expand until it fills the universe.

trust |trəst|
noun
1 firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something: relations have to be built on trust | they have been able to win the trust of the others.
acceptance of the truth of a statement without evidence or investigation: I used only primary sources, taking nothing on trust .
• the state of being responsible for someone or something: a man in a position of trust.
• literary a person or duty for which one has responsibility: rulership is a trust from God.
• literary a hope or expectation: all the great trusts of womanhood.
2 Law confidence placed in a person by making that person the nominal owner of property to be held or used for the benefit of one or more others.
• an arrangement whereby property is held in such a way: a trust was set up | the property is to be held in trust for his son.
3 a body of trustees.
• an organization or company managed by trustees: a charitable trust | [ in names ] : the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
• dated a large company that has or attempts to gain monopolistic control of a market.
4 W. Indian or archaic commercial credit: my master lived on trust at an alehouse.

trust (thesaurus)
noun
1 good relationships are built on trust: confidence, belief, faith, certainty, assurance, conviction, credence; reliance. ANTONYMS distrust, mistrust, doubt.
2 a position of trust: responsibility, duty, obligation.
3 the money is held in trust for his son: safekeeping, protection, charge, care, custody; trusteeship.

edit on 24-12-2013 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

faith
noun
1 he justified his boss's faith in him: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope. ANTONYMS mistrust.
2 she gave her life for her faith: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

NiNjABackflip
reply to post by DJW001

faith |fāTH|
noun
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something: this restores one's faith in politicians.
2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
• a strongly held belief or theory: the faith that life will expand until it fills the universe.

trust |trəst|
noun
1 firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something: relations have to be built on trust | they have been able to win the trust of the others.
• acceptance of the truth of a statement without evidence or investigation: I used only primary sources, taking nothing on trust .
the state of being responsible for someone or something: a man in a position of trust.
• literary a person or duty for which one has responsibility: rulership is a trust from God.
2 Law confidence placed in a person by making that person the nominal owner of property to be held or used for the benefit of one or more others.
• an arrangement whereby property is held in such a way: a trust was set up | the property is to be held in trust for his son.
3 a body of trustees.
• an organization or company managed by trustees: a charitable trust | [ in names ] : the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
• dated a large company that has or attempts to gain monopolistic control of a market.
4 W. Indian or archaic commercial credit: my master lived on trust at an alehouse.

trust (thesaurus)
noun
1 good relationships are built on trust: confidence, belief, faith, certainty, assurance, conviction, credence; reliance. ANTONYMS distrust, mistrust, doubt.
3 the money is held in trust for his son: safekeeping, protection, charge, care, custody; trusteeship.

faith
noun
1 he justified his boss's faith in him: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope. ANTONYMS mistrust. WRONG! Antonym= DOUBT!

2 she gave her life for her faith: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine.

Are you starting to get it now?
edit on 24-12-2013 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
faith |fāTH|
noun

trust |trəst|
noun
• acceptance of the truth of a statement without evidence or investigation: I used only primary sources, taking nothing on trust .
the state of being responsible for someone or something: a man in a position of trust.
3 a body of trustees.

trust (thesaurus)
noun
3 the money is held in trust for his son: safekeeping, protection, charge, care, custody; trusteeship.[

faith
noun
1 he justified his boss's faith in him: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope. ANTONYMS mistrust.
WRONG! Antonym= DOUBT!

Are you starting to get it now?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Not necessarily. I only noticed that you've left out the words that show the two are synonyms.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

NiNjABackflip
reply to post by DJW001

Not necessarily. I only noticed that you've left out the words that show the two are synonyms.

No, I emphasized the parts that showed why the words are not synonyms.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well let's read it again without emphasis.

trust |trəst|
noun
• the state of being responsible for someone or something: a man in a position of trust.
3 a body of trustees.

faith |fāTH|
noun

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join