It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seems like The New Agers who practice Meditation were right, a new study shows that meditation chang

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It is no longer a New Age belief. Studies show that meditation does, in fact, changes genes to reduce inflammation.

There was no significant difference in genetic markers between the two groups at the start of the eight-hour test period. However, at the end of the day, researchers found reduced expression of certain histone deacetylase (HDAC) genes and of the genes RIPK2 and COX2 — all of which are linked to inflammation.

These findings are important because of the role inflammation plays in the progress and treatment of disease. Recent research has found that chronic inflammation may be at the core of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, heart disease, lupus, cancer, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

Source

More and more, science is discovering the truth behind some spiritual beliefs. This is happening faster and faster. RIPK2 is also associated with stress. It truly does seem that although there are many emotions, we only have to choice, "relax" or be "more stressed out".

There was another research that linked anger disorders to inflammation [Link].
edit on 20-12-2013 by arpgme because: more info added

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is very cool - thanks for posting!

I hope this small study is enough to get funding and interest going for a much larger study. The study in the article was based on only 40 participants - which included 19 long-term mediators.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Whats the new agers gotta to anything with this? I think meditation & yoga have existed for thousands of years already, especially in india and china but elsewhere too and they knew very well how it affect spiritual and physical lvls, i thinks its been common knowledge for them old agers

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Good article. I read this one along with research from other countries. It is true. Prayer works almost the same way from what I read. Singing hymns also does this. If our medical industry would accept this research, it would negatively impact their pocketbooks. No doctor is supposed to use this stuff unless it is allowed by the ones governing the medical trade. A doctor can be fined or suspended for using or promoting anything not approved. So don't think you are going to hear stuff like this from your doctor unless he is a very good friend of yours and he can trust you to keep your mouth shut. I know of a doctor who lost his ability to practice by telling people to eat certain foods to control their problems. The people receiving the information had success without medications. But now he can't help anyone for a while.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I use brainwave entrainment recordings that produce the deep meditative states produced in people who have meditated for years and years. In the deeper states of theta and delta the brain produces human growth hormone. That is the stuff that celebrities pay $10,000.00 per shot for. For free !!!! You can down load mp3 files or buy CDs. I have a collection of CDs which produce different states of being from light alpha which is relaxed but awake to deepest epsilon and highest gamma which are exotic brainwave states that you cannot enter easily.
It has been shown that these relaxed states have many benefits to the body and brain. From lowering blood pressure to producing helpful hormones.
edit on PM0000003100000012125127312013-12-20T13:27:13-06:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

rickymouse
Good article. I read this one along with research from other countries. It is true. Prayer works almost the same way from what I read. Singing hymns also does this. If our medical industry would accept this research, it would negatively impact their pocketbooks. No doctor is supposed to use this stuff unless it is allowed by the ones governing the medical trade. A doctor can be fined or suspended for using or promoting anything not approved. So don't think you are going to hear stuff like this from your doctor unless he is a very good friend of yours and he can trust you to keep your mouth shut. I know of a doctor who lost his ability to practice by telling people to eat certain foods to control their problems. The people receiving the information had success without medications. But now he can't help anyone for a while.
Dr Robert Atkins made a career from telling people how to cure their ills by changing what and how they ate. . No one took away his license to practice medicine and he was fixing heart disease and type 2 diabetes with diet. Of course the belief is that this was a weight loss diet but that is just the benefit of eating to cure those diseases .

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

romilo
Whats the new agers gotta to anything with this? I think meditation & yoga have existed for thousands of years already, especially in india and china but elsewhere too and they knew very well how it affect spiritual and physical lvls, i thinks its been common knowledge for them old agers
This is in reference to bringing it to the attention of the western world. These are practices with thousands of years behind them but until the 1960s it's practice was little known in the west. The age of Aquarius brought many old ideas to the forefront and made them new again. Just another venture brought to you by the baby boomers.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
What is it that makes meditation a new age thing ?

The new age movement adopted an already ancient knowledge.

I'm not part of any new age group, but I am a little floaty from time to time. I've learned that meditation makes me aware of the present, and it helps me relax.

Relaxation means no stress. Always a good thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 12/20/2013 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Meditation was practiced thousands of years before we even started counting them. The article spins the whole thing to present the health benefits of meditation as "now official" due to scientific discovery... when half the world has known it for scores of generations, without control groups and gene sampling (or whatever it is they do).

Sounds a little arrogant to me. It's only true when/if the scientists say so. Heh. Old news, doctor. Get over yourself.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

In laymans terms meditation will reduce blood pressure no surprise. A beer each day will have same effect.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
reply to post by arpgme

In laymans terms meditation will reduce blood pressure no surprise. A beer each day will have same effect.

No matter how you want to look at it alcohol is a poison. That's how it affects the body and brain it poisons it.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Ok already it's agreed that meditation is an ancient practice. Now can the discussion go back to the benefits or is derailing the thread the only point considered valid around here.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

In Buddhism, enlightenment is the ultimate achievement. Buddhist monks use meditation, because you won't get enlightened without awareness and inner peace.

I think you can find what makes meditation such a powerful tool, in Buddhism.
I won't limit any search for answers to Buddhism though. Other believes might also give other reasons for meditation.

I'm sorry but my knowledge on Buddhism is limited. You will be better of, checking it out yourself.
I would be interested in your findings though/

top topics

join