It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bann on Clonning might be dropped!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I just read this article regarding clonning and how the UN might consider dropping the ban or allow clonning of specific cells and other things benefiting studys and research.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041119/ap_on_sc/un_human_cloning

Where do you stand on this subject???

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
How about you let us know where you stand to start the debate off?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I believe we should allow clonning to a certain extent. has it ever occured to anybody to clone animals that are in danger of extinction??? Or lets say me or one of us losses an arm in a car accident, I personally wouldnt mind having a clonned arm attached to me. Of course as long as it works and doesnt affect me later in life. Another big thing they were discussing on the article were stem cells. After the death of Christopher Reed, that was a big subject. many believe that clonning those kind of cells would be a big help in in their research. I stand for it as long as it is limited to beneficial uses.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peeder
I believe we should allow clonning to a certain extent. has it ever occured to anybody to clone animals that are in danger of extinction???

Infact, they are talking about cloning recently extinct animals, like the tasmanian tiger, aka the 'thylacine', a predatorial marsupial.

Or lets say me or one of us losses an arm in a car accident, I personally wouldnt mind having a clonned arm attached to me.

or cloned livers, bone marrow, etc etc

Personally, I think that there should not be a ban on cloning. I see no good arguement for it. Its merely another way to make a person. An ineffective and expensive way, and one that is less sussesful than other methods, but nothing more than another way.

There are some issues unique to it, such as how knowing that one is a clone of someone else might affect a person, or how knowing that the person you were cloned from died from say cancer might affect your life, so those are cautionary issues.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Peeder - no ban on cloning has ever existed anywhere. In the USA - California and New Jersey are the ONLY states that ban reproductive cloning. Everywhere else it's a GO.

...Like CA and NJ, several nations in the world have banned reproductive cloning, but regulate other forms of stem cell cloning. These nations were trying to have reproductive cloning banned world wide.

Every nation in the world supports a ban on reporductive cloning. A bill against reproductive cloning would have passed in the UN - but...

The USA blocked the ban by forcing a vote on an "omnibus" bill to ban everything - which meant the bill would never get approval. And it didn't.

top topics

join