It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 72% in U.S. Say Big Government Greatest Threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A recent Gallup poll is showing 72% see big government as the greatest threat to the country.

This was a comparison to big business (21%) and big labor (5%).

Historically, the number has never been so high.

Looks like many people may in fact be waking up.

The question is however; *WHAT* exactly do people "see" as the threat ?

Seventy-two percent of Americans say big government is a greater threat to the U.S. in the future than is big business or big labor, a record high in the nearly 50-year history of this question. The prior high for big government was 65% in 1999 and 2000. Big government has always topped big business and big labor, including in the initial asking in 1965, but just 35% named it at that time.

The latest update comes from a Dec. 5-8 poll. Gallup has documented a steady increase in concern about big government since 2009, rising from 55% in March 2009 to 64% in November 2011 and 72% today. This suggests that government policies specific to the period, such as the Affordable Care Act -- perhaps coupled with recent revelations of government spying tactics by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden -- may be factors.

Currently, 21% name big business as the greatest threat, while 5%, a record low, say big labor. The high point for big labor was 29% in 1965. No more than 11% of Americans have chosen big labor since 1995, clearly reflecting the decline of the labor movement in the United States in recent decades.

Record High in U.S. Say Big Government Greatest Threat

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

From 1969 it rose every year till 911 when it nose dived, but has been growing ever since. Might have something to do with prison industrial complex, military industrial complex, war on drugs, department of homeland security, patriot act, nsa and the list goes on.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Too bad those folks who distrust big government aren't catching on about the control that the multinational corporations exert over the government.

One step at a time I guess and this is a good beginning.

Wonder what the ATS percentages would be?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Big Business wouldn't be an issue if Big Government wasn't whipped. If they did their jobs correctly, they wouldn't all be bought out...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

SpreadLoveNotHate
reply to post by Bassago

Big Business wouldn't be an issue if Big Government wasn't whipped. If they did their jobs correctly, they wouldn't all be bought out...

No; like JFK and RFK they'd be 'shot' out.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

And if they were doing their jobs properly they'd be shot out.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The threat of big government is twofold:
#1) Somebody has to pay for them and all their salaries, perks and retirement (that's you taxpayer)
#2) They will endlessly create new laws and fiddle with old ones to create new ways of getting money(see above #1) and generally interfere in your life for no other reason than to say they did something to justify #1.

How big can a parasite get before it kills the host?
Not long by the looks of it.
When the taxpayer cannot sustain them they will apply even more of #1 and #2 to get more from you.
This is called whipping a dead horse.
They do this because they have nothing productive to add to society, they can only take which is why most politicians are lawyers and do the bidding of the bankers.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Bassago

Too bad those folks who distrust big government aren't catching on about the control that the multinational corporations exert over the government.

That is what my first thought was. Big corporations currently have more power and manipulate the government.... they also are behind the media, which steers the cultural tendancies and values.... are those people who fear big government sure they aren't just falling into the thought patterns the big corporations have seeded, in order to keep their power????

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The really bad thing now is that corruption is so much worse than ever before, or close to it, that when these people replicate their base of operations by growing government, it is like a cesspool that keeps getting bigger, threatening to poison the entire planet, (which it already is).
Obama and his above the law cronies are like bedbugs that suck the blood from a population until it dies.
He spent over 5 effing billion dollars on just a few of his pals to create websites that don't even work, because they instead spent the money on their families and lavish lifestyles

When they say they are adding new programs and agencies to the government, they really mean they are paying their friends off for helping them get in office. How can anyone pay 5 billion dollars and not receive working products for that kind of money? Only if they intended to defraud the government.

President Obama is continuing to commit felony fraud whenever he approves money for something, since nothing he has ever paid for has had any legitimate results.
Obama is a super parasite and his wife Michelle is like a fruit fly that just casually feeds off all of her husbands corruption even before he was president. And he still has plenty of ties to organized crime.

What the Whitehouse needs is a super bug bomb to gas out the filthy parasitic humans residing inside.
They do not resemble decent human beings in any way, shape or form.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It could be 100% and it wouldn't matter, because no one is going to actually do anything about it. The consequences of overthrowing the world's superpower are too much for a complacent, intellectually lethargic, selfish and materialistic populace to stomach. So they'll continue to tolerate the ever-worsening egregious offenses to our sensibilities as human beings as long as they can get a carcinogenic cheeseburger any time they want.

America simply doesn't have the balls or the brains. Yep. I said it.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I think maybe it has more to do with the choices given respondents. If their choices were Big Gov, Big Business or Big Labor; I think most people are gonna say big government poses a bigger threat. Now if the choices were Big Gov, China, Terrorism, etc... I think the results would have been different.

I'm not saying I don't distrust big government or that I don't see it as a possible threat; just that these polls are most often inherently biased in the very questions and possible answers they ask/provide.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

outward change begins within

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

In my opinion, big government and big corporations are one and the same. Side by side extorting our money and freedoms to keep them at the top.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Bluesma
That is what my first thought was. Big corporations currently have more power and manipulate the government.... they also are behind the media, which steers the cultural tendancies and values.... are those people who fear big government sure they aren't just falling into the thought patterns the big corporations have seeded, in order to keep their power????

I couldn't agree more!

If anything, I think this poll reflects just how well the masses have been deceived. It would appear that, according to this poll, most people believe that our government is the root of the corruption when, IMO, nothing could be further from the truth.

Our government has been corrupted by corporate influence and not the other way around. Instead of protecting us from a mindset that is driven purely by the need to make bigger profits year over year, our elected officials have fallen prey to a system that will allow them to survive, if and only if, they are willing to carry the torch for the big multi-national corporations.

Corporate mentality and the influence of the uber-rich currently has control over our legislators and based on this poll, I'd venture to say that they've pretty much sold the public on the idea that they're the ones who are being beaten down by our "corrupt government" instead of the actual truth, which is quite the opposite.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

True, and lets keep in mind that "big labor" and "big business" are helpless without government as their enabler.

Big government is a threat because as their size increases, so does their lust for power and they are using this power to wage endless illegal wars overseas while simultaneously stripping us of our rights domestically.

edit on 19-12-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

How else are WE supposed to build a new world order of peace and light, without expanding government?

200 years A[I]G FARBEN there were a handful of settlers in America small governmeant had to increase as the population exploded.

The United Nations, if [deployed] correctly!!!!!!

then the power of love will overcome the love of money

ISIS $$

outward change begins within. don't like your government?

Govern yourself

*catch my fall 11 and he was gone

edit on 19-12-2013 by ELectricalApprentice because: (no reason given)

If you dont play with me
search your feelings

*afterburn*

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
There is one 'industrial complex' that eclipses them all.

That is the welfare industrial complex that accounts for over 2.2 trillion in current federal spending. that accounts for over 100+ millions Americans who would perish without that 'benevolent' government.

Which is why doesn't matter how many people doesn't trust our government.

With that many people they will never bite the hand that 'feeds' them, and gives them 'free stuff'.

Doesn't matter how discontent the people are.

That is a flawless victory. The masses have been brainwashed in to thinking they can't survive without government.

join