It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would It Mean If We Were Able To Build a Brain or a Person?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Let's just hypothesize bit...

Let's assume that at some point, science is so far advanced that we can artificially build a 100% functioning brain that in no way is inferior to a real brain.

(I know that it's still open to debate whether the "soul" and consciousness is actually something external or whether it is indeed created as a function of our brain. For this debate, let's assume that consciousness is "created" by the brain, even if I personally do not believe this).

So..we construct a brain, and this brain because it is so advanced gets conscious. Means, it becomes a persona.

Since we mechanically or electronically BUILT this brain, we can build a second one which is identical to the first one. (In the same way as computer chips are identical in function, we can also mass produce them).

When we built this second brain which is an exact copy of the first brain, and the second brain also develops a consciousness...how can THIS consciousness, this "ego" be different from that of the first brain? If the mechanics (which I simply assume in this philosophic idea) are the exact same and the brain consists of exactly the same parts? Would we create two different persona even when the "construction" is exactly the same?

In the same way..let's assume we can 100% duplicate/clone another person.

I am talking 100%, without exception, down to the cell level. Every even smallest part of the body would be in the same position and state as the "original" person. The brain would be 100% a clone, the same number of brain cells etc..

Would this clone then also be "another persona"....if so, why and how?

Of course it wouldn't be less bizarre if the clone would NOT be "another persona"...if the two persons would have one consciousness, which would be odd since we'd in-fact have two beings.

edit on 22013RuTuesdayAmerica/Chicago15AMTuesdayTuesday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
A persona is earned through experience. Every thing you do, everything that you see and you learn is uniquely yours.

A soul is something you create though your experiences and observations.

The brain is a vessel that allows you to interact with everything that is.

You can keep the same boat, the passengers are all created from individuality.

edit on 12/17/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

When we built this second brain which is an exact copy of the first brain, and the second brain also develops a consciousness...how can THIS consciousness be different from that of the first brain? If the mechanics (which I simply assume in this philosophic idea) are the exact same and the brain consists of exactly the same parts? Would we create two different persona even when the "construction" is exactly the same?

Quantum uncertainty.

No matter what the "brain" was constructed from, even if they were identical in all respects structurally, the way in which a brain operates is both chemical/electrical & quantumly. The divergences may be minute to start with but over time the divergences will increase so the 2 "brains" would never be identical and become increasingly different over time.

Interesting thought concept though...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

You may begin with an exact copy but it would soon diverge into two distinct entities. We are shaped by our environment - no two people experience a shared environment in the same manner.

A documentary you may enjoy......

Transhumanism, Artificial Intelligence and Nanotechnology

This film by Ken Gumbs tackles the issue of pending greater-than-human artificial intelligence and the possible ramifications. Different individuals with different backgrounds are interviewed on the subject, including a theologian, a philosopher, a brain builder and a cyborg. A wide spectrum of topics are discussed, including trans-humanism, mind-machine mergers, uploading, and artificial super-intelligence.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If you ever watched fringe series, i think what you are talking is very close to a time line depicted in the show for the "observers".

I wont go into any detail for those that want to watch the show, but they are a hyper advanced versions of humans that chose to 'leave' out certain human things to enable a far suppressor but, simple intellect - one free from morals or emotions.

No one will wantingly put in flaws to a design, thats why nature does it for us and this is a good thing. Too perfect a human, especially one that knows it, could be disastrous.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Wow ! The first three replies said the same thing; The two creatures will be different because the experience will be different. I agree totally with that.

We are all one mind and yet we are different due to experience.

new topics

top topics

join