It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Musicians!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I made this thread because I know that there is someone who can give me some guidance.

Ok...I am a Christian drummer, and I am trying to find other potential band members. I want to either start a Christian band, or try and find one, but I've tried and don't know how to go about finding them.

Would it be helpful if I competed in a drumoff? My friend, who is also a drummer, invited me to watch him play in a drumoff, but I couldn't participate at the time because I found out too late.

Feel free to give me some suggestions.

One more thing, is joining the school band a helpful process in finding other people who may want to be in a band with me?

[Edited on 18-11-2004 by Classygirl]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Join the band!

I know hundreds of people now beacuse our school has such a big music program.

Oh yea, I could never understand Christian rock, but whatever floats your boat...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
See about putting up notices in music shops also helps.....
but most bands I know right now, the members have no classical training...(which means I want to pull my hair out, sometimes, while they are practicing...) They all met through work or a chance encounter.
leave up a free add in: the free papers, that place up at the front of Wal-Marts everywhere...go look at the local colleges and put up some ads in the free advertising areas...and get to know the music department (if there is one)....

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow!! You guys, both, gave me great suggestions. Why didn't I do these things before?!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
how long have you ben looking? I've been in music all my life, quite litterally. I've been surrounded by the musically inclined from birth...lol, I'v had all my 23 years to think about how to locate musicians. Ask me to locate a plumber, and I'm lost,

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
jlc,

I have been searching for about 2 months. I started to play the drums Feb of 2004, and I LOVE them!!! I am learning new styles so fast. My teacher is great.

Also, it's good that you grew up around musically inclined people, and you have figured out ways of locating musicians. That's a great benefit to your musical career! My grandfather, and two uncles play the organ, my other uncle plays the guitar, my older sister used to play the viola, and is interested in learning the bass guitar. I guess you can say that I grew up around musically inclined people as well, but music didn't take hold of me until I learned the organ(I was 13). But still, I'm sure that you were more exposed to the musically inclined than I was. I am actually studying premed, but will change my major to nutrition. My passion lies in nutrition. I also have a passion for music, and have been thinking of having music as a minor.

I'll check that website out. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh yeah,

You seem like a funny character so I'm sure that we will get along really well.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Get your sister to start playing the bassguitar! If you both pratice alot you can be the next super rythm-section of the future! Sisters of Groove sounds like a plan to me

Now, I don't know where you live, but since you celarly have access to the internet, you might also want to check out if there is some form of community on the net for local musicians. We have alot of these forums in Norway and in my city, and I've been hired by several bands through these forums. Good luck with your playing and if you want to hear some reeeeaaaally great drummers for inspiration, check out:

Virgil Donati
Bill Bruford (of King Crimson)
Nick D'Virgilio (of Spock's Beard)
Zoltan Cz�rsz (of The Flower Kings)

Since you like Christian music, be sure to check out url=www.spocksbeard.com]Spock's Beard[/url] and their former vocalist Neal Morse who now does solo christian progressive rock projects with great musicians. A tremendous musician!

Hope I was of any assistance to you

[Edited on 20/11/04 by phlake]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Phlake, you rock!!! Wow!!! Thanks sooo much. I will put those websites that you have given to me in my favorites.

I have a question: You don't have to tell me a specific amount, but is the pay that you get for playing in bands, decent pay?

Also, thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I only play on a hobby basis, actually, eventhough we have a record deal and have released 4 albums with one of my bands. I usually don't charge much when people ask for me to play bass on a gig or some recording. I just love playing and I earn my money other ways for the time being

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
That sounds really good. How did you go about getting record deals?

top topics

join