It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS NASA More Worried Than Ever About Asteroids ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
NASA Wants to Crowdsource Asteroid Locations

Love Armageddon? Now you can participate in the collection of asteroid data

Last month the US space agency announced it would begin working with Planetary Resources Inc. to expand its ability to detect asteroids.

Founded by space entrepreneurs Peter Diamandis and Eric Anderson to extract minerals and other resources from nearby asteroids, Planetary Resources has already experimented with the internet’s ability to bring people together. It used Kickstarter to fund the development of a satellite telescope to find asteroids and planets—and also take “space selfies” of its backers. The company also worked with Zooniverse, a citizen science group, to develop a game that lets anyone help hunt through sky survey data for unmapped asteroids.

Now NASA has asked Planetary Resources to expand upon that game, developing contests that challenge programmers to build software that can pick asteroids out of the 3 million images in the Catalina Sky Survey. Winners will receive cash prizes funded by NASA. For their part, Planetary Resources hopes the contest generates fresh data on the location of the asteroids it hopes to mine.

I wish I had the skills to build this kind of software, but I don`t

I think NASA is more worried than ever about asteroid detection, don´t you think so ? ...

Earth has high risk of asteroid impact

Smaller asteroids can be far more dangerous than previously believed

Asteroid hit rate is far higher than previous thought
edit on 12-12-2013 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Prior to Shoemaker-Levy slamming into Jupiter, there were more people working in a single MacDonalds than there were on government payroll actively looking for asteroids that were a threat to Earth.

Increased awarness by everyone is welcomed, and the more people are looking (people as in amateurs, professionals and space agencies) the better chance of spotting something that could be bad for us.

Even if all we can do is determine impact point on Earth, at least we can try to warn people so they can evacuate (hopefully). That's better than being completely caught with our pants down.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

CosmicDude
I think NASA is more worried than ever about asteroid detection, don´t you think so ? ...

Sure, but that comes with our increased awareness of the potential damage from an impact.

25 years ago, nobody had today's awareness of the magnitude of the damage an impact event could cause. Maybe they had some ideas of the immediate localized damage -- i.e., the crater itself and the destruction at the site of impact, but we knew very little about the GLOBAL short-term and long-term damage certain impacts could bring.

As science learned more about the full effects of impacts (such as from the Shoemaker-Levy 9 event, as ErikTheAwful mentioned above), we as a species became more concerned about those impacts.

It's like 19th century surgeons becoming aware of the idea of germs. After Louis Pasteur promoted the ideas that germs can cause infections, surgeons begun to worry about germs during surgery. It's not like the threat didn't exist prior to that -- surgeons were simply unaware of the threat.

edit on 12/12/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Why would I need cash prize if I discovered, let's say, an ELE asteroid?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

eriktheawful

Prior to Shoemaker-Levy slamming into Jupiter, there were more people working in a single MacDonalds than there were on government payroll actively looking for asteroids that were a threat to Earth.

Increased awarness by everyone is welcomed, and the more people are looking (people as in amateurs, professionals and space agencies) the better chance of spotting something that could be bad for us.

Even if all we can do is determine impact point on Earth, at least we can try to warn people so they can evacuate (hopefully). That's better than being completely caught with our pants down.

I don't think I can add to that, the more the merrier.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Why would I need cash prize if I discovered, let's say, an ELE asteroid?

LOL, that was funny
...well, you could always buy an Italian silk suit, the best bottle of champagne and die with style

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Worried, or simply being more aware of NEOs? Besides, it's a good opportinity to get more funding from the government.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Don't be such a worry guts.
The European Space Agency are also on the job:-

www.esa.int...

top topics

join