It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've just got my cat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I live alone, and I am socially isolated. But I have my cat. She has been with me for 10 years.

When she dies, it will be a big test for me. Old age is a big test all by itself. Losing your only companion is another big test. Old age and losing your only companion is a bigger test. I'm 64.

Life is strange and sometimes beautiful. But the last act is usually a sad thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Yes, saying goodbye to our companions is hard. But I have the firm belief that this existence is not our last. Take care and God bless, droid.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

droid56
I live alone, and I am socially isolated. But I have my cat. She has been with me for 10 years.

When she dies, it will be a big test for me. Old age is a big test all by itself. Losing your only companion is another big test. Old age and losing your only companion is a bigger test. I'm 64.

Life is strange and sometimes beautiful. But the last act is usually a sad thing.

I live alone, lost my dog a couple of years ago

I'd suggest you get another before you lose what you got now, because if you wait you might be like me and just cant face the idea of getting another only to lose it again.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My concern with getting another dog or cat is wondering whether I can stay alive past their exit date. How many old dogs or cats have ended up in a shelter after their elderly owner died? A very traumatic experience for a pet after many years of tender care.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'm 55 and lost my last beloved cat this year. My husband and I are still living together but for financial reasons only. I am lonely without my sweet cat. Somehow the fish and turtle just arn't the same. I would love nothing more than to get another cat, but my life is too up in the air right now and if I have to move, most places don't allow pets. It's so sad.

Age these days doesn't mean much. Young people lose their lives every day too. No matter who takes a cat in, it is a risk. Why not allow a loving and safe home for the time that you can like anyone else? Some cats are brought to shelters that are filled to capacity and have to be put down. At least you could save one for however long that may be.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Cats,n people live to be loved......
Without that empathetic communion life would be just a whole lot poorer.
Never was a man so low a dog couldn't love him.......but cats well they have a mind of their own.....
Cats choose to share life with their people......and if they don't like you, theyre apt to just up and walk away.......
The farm cat where I stayed was constant companion to the old black shepherd dog the farmer owned....
but when the dog died, the old girl decided to move in with me, and shes been my buddy since.....first on my bus, and now on the boat....actually shes snoozing by my side here right now.....
Don't let fear of the future stop you from such communion in the present....cats can take care of themselves.........one way or another......
edit on 10-12-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

stirling
Never was a man so low a dog couldn't love him.......but cats well they have a mind of their own.....
Cats choose to share life with their people......and if they don't like you, theyre apt to just up and walk away.......

I love 'em both, but that's what I like about cats: You have to agree to like each other.

The farm cat where I stayed was constant companion to the old black shepherd dog the farmer owned....
but when the dog died, the old girl decided to move in with me, and shes been my buddy since.....first on my bus, and now on the boat....actually shes snoozing by my side here right now.....

Cat got good taste I reckon'.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Well this topic made me sad. Makes me want to say hello to my neighbors more when I see them.

Also why not adopt an older cat or dog if you're worried about their age?

Maybe ask the shelter for one.

That way you can help an older animal that isn't on the brink of death from being put down while at the same time not worrying as much about their life expectancy not being in time with yours.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Animals are such a comfort. Two years ago I lost my dog who adopted us shortly after we moved in. She ran in the desert with a pack of feral dogs. She lived with us for 13 years. We also take in feral cats. I buried one just the other day who was attacked by a stray dog who came into our yard.

Losing pets is hard at any age. Take comfort in the fact that you are giving love and sustenance to one of God's creatures and when it is time for it to go realize that you did all you can and the cat is in God's hands. Please do not torture yourself needlessly by thinking too much about your animal passing. It is alive now. Love it now. The time to grieve will be later.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

droid56
My concern with getting another dog or cat is wondering whether I can stay alive past their exit date. How many old dogs or cats have ended up in a shelter after their elderly owner died? A very traumatic experience for a pet after many years of tender care.

Maybe adopt a mature pet from a shelter. You would only be helping them, even if they outlive you. Oops, already suggested. Well, I second the suggestion then.

I have gone through the lose of a pet several times in my life. I have a 7 year old cat now and try not to think about him dying, I will be so sad. For years after one pet passed, I still "felt" him jumping up on my bed at night. It was always a sad reminder for me.
edit on 10-12-2013 by kmb08753 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join