It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Christmas gift for an elementary school teacher.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
We have a 4th grade school teacher that we want to get a christmas gift for.

My wife wants to get her a mug and some hot cocoa.

I said I want to get her a bottle of Gin and a pellet gun.

My wife thinks hers is a better present.

Thoughts ATS? I think my idea is chock full of awesome!!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

I said I want to get her a bottle of Gin and a pellet gun.

Funniest thing I have read here in a while, ha!
How bout make or craft something with your child to give her. Creative gifts are more meaningful,imo.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well, I would want your gift, she will likely appreciate you wife's choice. A gift card to a quality office supply store would also be a good choice for a teacher. Good on you two BTW for sending some love to the teacher.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
How about a well behaved child that doesn't make her job any harder than it has to be??

If you have that covered I would go with the wife's idea. Unless you know the teacher personally, your gift might go over like a lead balloon. Plus, if you are going to have your child deliver it (like most parents do) both of your gifts will result in you picking your child up from the police station or the teacher getting fired for having such items on school premises.

Neither outcome would result in a very Merry Christmas.

Listen to the wife.... Just do it.
edit on 12/9/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

caterpillage
Well, I would want your gift, she will likely appreciate you wife's choice. A gift card to a quality office supply store would also be a good choice for a teacher. Good on you two BTW for sending some love to the teacher.

I was thinking the pellet gun to frighten the kids into paying attention and the gin to give her the bravery to do it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Its 2013.. a whip and chair is appropriate.

Seriously though, here teachers spend a lot of their own money on supplies. Every Xmas we get a good friend of mine who is a teacher a "school supply cake". Just google it for pics and instructions.. neat ideas out there.
www.threepugsandababy.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Many teachers we know get multiple mugs as gifts each year. They also receive lots if lotions, soap and vases. Too many to use in fact.

I would second the idea of classroom supplies, gift cards to a book store (or actual books), or a nice dinner out.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Don't give her a mug or anything edible. Go with a gift card to an office supply store, with the new year coming up she will have to be buying things like her main desk calendar etc. With a little something extra she can freshen up her desktop with a sparkly new stapler, some good scissors, a pretty fresh notepad. She will appreciate the thoughtfulness and think of your child when she uses it.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
an apple pie. cause she's a teacher get it?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have been against the mug and hot cocoa from the beginning because as I remember from being a little kid, the teacher's desk was full of mugs right before Christmas that she had been given.

I am leaning now towards a gift card to Office Max or a teaching supply store. It seems like that would provide her the most use as I understand that teachers end up spending a bunch of their own money on stuff for the classroom.

I still think my bottle of gin and a pellet gun idea is an Old Country Buffet of awesome, but I think I see the point in not having my child deliver a gun and alcohol to school.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Come on people, how would you like to get supplies for work as a Christmas gift? An office supply gift card should be given when school starts, but not as a present.

I would suggest a Visa gift card or cash. Then she can spend it on whatever pleases her.

And people, don't give Mugs and cocoa and things like that for a gift. It really is wasted money.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

sligtlyskeptical

Come on people, how would you like to get supplies for work as a Christmas gift? An office supply gift card should be given when school starts, but not as a present.

I would suggest a Visa gift card or cash. Then she can spend it on whatever pleases her.

And people, don't give Mugs and cocoa and things like that for a gift. It really is wasted money.

I agree - even more reason I was pushing for a bottle of Gin and a Pellet Gun!

A visa gift card is a good idea too though...

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm an elementary teacher. My FAVORITE gift is a restaurant gift card, or any other kind of gift card. Even $5 to Starbucks or Target makes me happy. Although to be honest, I really don't want a office supply gift card. Maybe that's just me.

I do NOT want: mugs, food, candles, or ANYTHING from Bath and Body Works. Or a tote bag. I have gotten truckloads of those over the years.

I have one awesome parent who gave me a gift certificate to a local wine shop. That was appreciated.

My best gift ever was from a parent who had season tickets to the Chastain Park concert series in Atlanta, and she told me to pick any 2 concerts and my husband and I could go with her husband and her. That was over the top amazing.

edit on 10-12-2013 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

From experience, I have yet to meet a teacher who does not like reading - a good book or gift-card to bookstore is always a good choice of present for teachers.
edit on 10-12-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

christmas card with five bucks in it? made me happy since i was ten

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Have a few teachers in my family. They do not like chocolate, mugs, teacher themed bric-a-brac, jewelry, etc. and have all indicated pretty much anything impersonal is getting canned or given away.

Gift cards are probably the way to go. Amazon gift card or prepaid Visa. She can buy a pellet gun and gin that way. I laughed my ass off when I read that suggestion. Starbucks cards and such are nice, but you're making some assumptions.

If you like the teacher, give a nice card too and write something personal. Not a teacher themed card unless it's actually funny.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

GeorgiaGirl
I'm an elementary teacher. My FAVORITE gift is a restaurant gift card, or any other kind of gift card. Even $5 to Starbucks or Target makes me happy. Although to be honest, I really don't want a office supply gift card. Maybe that's just me.

I do NOT want: mugs, food, candles, or ANYTHING from Bath and Body Works. Or a tote bag. I have gotten truckloads of those over the years.

I have one awesome parent who gave me a gift certificate to a local wine shop. That was appreciated.

My best gift ever was from a parent who had season tickets to the Chastain Park concert series in Atlanta, and she told me to pick any 2 concerts and my husband and I could go with her husband and her. That was over the top amazing.

edit on 10-12-2013 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

You and the other poster changed my mind about what I give our friend this year. I just never thought about it..I like practical gifts as well as extravagant ones. i just heard her continually griping about how much money she was out of pocket every year for supplies and kids not ever having them

Looks like Ill get her a restaurant gift card.. and throw in a pair of cashmere socks. I ASKED for a pair of j crew corgi cashmere socks... maybe it will suprise her too since Ive been such a crappy friend giving her practical gifts all this time!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I am now leaning towards a nice restaurant gift card...

Though to be honest, I still think my original elementary school teacher's gift is the best:

A bottle of Gin and a pellet gun.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

If you do that make sure it's enough for two people to enjoy an actual meal. Teachers are usually not rolling in dough so $20 to somewhere that costs that much for an appetizer sucks. I still say Visa and Amazon are about equal and then I do this Target>Wal Mart> Fred Meyer> Bookstore> Coffee> apple earrings.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This is why I think a bottle of Gin and a Pellet Gun are the perfect Christmas gift for a teacher - no additional spending needed and both are gifts that just keep on giving.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join