It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upset at the Tri-County Fair = HUGE motivator.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hey folks, once again I have a thread about how ass backwards this little town I live in is.

So at last years tri-county fair, the lady and I decided it would be fun to enter some of our artwork. Little did we realize the implications that would have on the "regulars."

Now, we're not the type to take ourselves completely serious, especially with our art, we usually just have fun doing it and whatever comes, comes.

So we entered approx. 15-20 paintings in various categories, not really expecting much, just wanting to share our hobby with local folks. At the onset, we didn't want to cause a "scene," but boy were we wrong.

ALL of our pieces placed and my fiancé got best of show! We were totally surprised!

Now, I live in a rural area with mountains to the east and west with plenty of gorgeous views of nature, so naturally, most of the artwork up here is of the landscape variety. Which I totally appreciate, I like landscapes in their own right, but this area is so darn saturated with them it just gets redundant. I mean, how many paintings of one mountain do you need?!

Needless to say, the every year submitters were not pleased with how well we did. They were so angry, that in fact, they fired the judge that placed us last year! I can imagine the sweet little ladies now, "how dare those riff raff painters do so well and this is their first year!" My fiance's friend told her, "I was pretty pissed too, considering I've been trying to get best of show for almost a decade!"

We realized people were a little "shook" but had no idea to what extent until today. Today we learned about the judge being fired.

So what does this mean for us? Well, I can tell you it has been a GREAT motivator for entering next years fair! We didn't enter anything this year, but next year will be an all out insanity fest. There are close to 20 categories in which you can enter 3 pieces, and we will be doing EVERY SINGLE ONE.

So, instead of positive recognition for our work, people got angry, which I can't say doesn't please me. I'm excited to shake it up next year.

I have an idea of getting a large canvas, painting it all black, and in big white letters paint MT. TOM or OWENS VALLEY AT SUNSET or NATIVE AMERICAN ON A HORSE.

So what do you think, members? Any ideas?

Below is a link to our work, most of which we entered.

Enjoy, and thank you.

denybedoomed

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

Some people just don't like competition, period.
And yes, if you guys normally don't do the show, we'll yeah, that just made it more touchy if they had been doing it for a while...."regulars" so to speak.

I don't see why you should even think twice about doing it.
You have a gift, so share it.
Do it!!!

Art is to please, regardless what the subject is.

Just don't allow the people entering to suck you into their childish mentality.

Oh yeah, CONGRATS!!!

Keep up the good work and good luck on next years contest
Different judge may have a different opinion on Artwork [likes/dislikes]
Maybe throw 1 or 2 landscapes just in case, ones that will set them off from the others.

Much respect~
snarky

edit on 9-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Thanks, Snarky. I really appreciate the feedback.

I understand art is completely subjective as well, it was just crazy to think that paintings we literally sometimes made in under a half an hour could catch so much grief! One person was overheard saying, "That's not art!" I've always enjoyed a little shock appeal, so I'm going to go all out next year. It's like I've always said "If people are telling you you're making art wrong, you're obviously on the right track."

With the judges, they bring someone from outside the county, so I imagine, this guy walked into a huge room populated largely with landscapes and still life and was like, bleh, until he saw ours and was like, "on thank god!"

Allegedly we did so well last year because the judge thought that by placing us, it would encourage local artists to branch out a little.

Small towns fear change.

I am thinking about doing a landscape, like an exact copy of a local artists, but with a totally different color scheme, or a bunch of creepy monsters in it.

I even though about smearing crappy looking paint on a canvas and writing in big letters "I CAN ART, TOO."

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Technically, you are not a 'newbie' now.

Just don't get dragged into their game.
Stick with what you guys do best and you will be okay
At least you'll have more time to play around and get ready for it next year.
You'll know what to expect this go round

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You can't change small town culture the morons believe they should win by default at life for being a 4th Generation failure in a one horse town. I would enter a Damien Hirst inspired piece such as a map of the town smeared in excrement

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Honestly, had an idea similar to that.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

snarky412

Technically, you are not a 'newbie' now.

Just don't get dragged into their game.
Stick with what you guys do best and you will be okay
At least you'll have more time to play around and get ready for it next year.
You'll know what to expect this go round

Once down the Dark path you go, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Rise above, rise against.
Don't let the bastards drag you down.
You have a gift. Use it. Share it.
Don't sink to their level (spoken from someone born and raised in a rural town

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback! Will keep you posted on current projects!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

edit on 10-12-2013 by snarky412 because: can't get my response to work...weird. But no, I am not a city person and yes, we too work many rural towns, hence why I can relate to the OP.

top topics

join