It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crow Thread

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

...by the time I left it had grown dark but when I went outside there thousands of crows everywhere in the parking lot. They were all quietly murmuring and I just watched them for 10 minutes or so until somebody drove through and ran them off.

Hi ATA,

I loved that story, both of them were really special, thank you for coming by to post. I also love Native American folklore, especially when it is about ravens and animals in general. I am really fond of the Tlingit people and wanted to share their raven myth with you and the rest of the forum.

Here is a little about the Tlingit from WikiPedia...

Stories about Raven are unique in Tlingit culture in that though they technically belong to clans of the Raven moiety, most are openly and freely shared by any Tlingit no matter their clan affiliation. They also make up the bulk of the stories that children are regaled with when young. Raven Cycle stories are often shared anecdotally, the telling of one inspiring the telling of another.

Many are humorous, but some are serious and impart a sense of Tlingit morality and ethics, and others belong to specific clans and may only be shared under appropriate license. Some of the most popular are known to other tribes along the Northwest Coast, and provide creation myths for the everyday world.

en.wikipedia.org...

How Raven Stole The Light

Many years ago, the earth was covered in darkness. Its people were hungry and cold. They knew not the beauty of mountains and rivers. Shadow covered all. Hunting was impossible. Berries were dry and hard.

Within this darkness was a chief. One day, while stumbling about the earth, the chief discovered an ancient box. Within that box were countless smaller boxes, each enclosing the other. The smallest box glowed and its edges were warm. The chief opened it and was surprised to discover the light of the universe.

But the chief was a selfish man. He shared the gift with no one and moved to a house by the river with his daughter. Even she did not know his secret. Every night he would send her to get water and every night he would open his treasure, spilling a little light from the hut’s smoke hole.

_______

Raven was very unhappy about the state of the world. Like man, he was hungry and cold in the dark and he bumped into many things as he flew about between earth and sky.

One day, Raven flew over the chief’s hut and noticed a faint light. Raven landed on the roof and peeked inside. He was astounded to find an old man basking in the glow of the universe as the sun, moon and stars lay scattered at his feet.

Raven decided to steal the light, but first had to find a way to get inside the hut

Have a good evening, ATA, and thanks again for stopping by.

edit on 9-12-2013 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Propulsion

They hold funerals

The thread is quite interesting, but, I would have to disagree with the video of the crows hanging on the electrical line mourning their dead. I personally think they are waiting for the cars to get out of the way so they can feast off the dead one in the street. I have seen many of crow chowing down on dead animal carcasses. They are scavengers of the dead.

I don't doubt that these birds would hold some type of wake for a fallen comrade.

I accidentally killed a Canadian Goose with an errant golf shot and I swear it's family surrounded the body and were trying desperately to save the creature....nudging and squawking and such. I honestly witnessed the realization of the flock that this goose actually died and the squawking simultaneously stopped to an eery silence for a brief moment.

They all surrounded the goose and were quite sad.

Crows are more intelligent than geese. But you're probably right...after the 'funeral' I wouldn't put it past the crow to eat their own carrion. Sick birds...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 9-12-2013 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Sorry mods but this thread deserves a bump to the top again. I love crows and animals in general.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bandolero

I have pictures, no video, of a similar attack by crows. I took them in the parking lot at a hospital where I worked. The crows had a nest near by that they were protecting, and a large snake came way too close for their comfort. There was about four or five and that snake some serious greif.

I bet the cats were fighting over the spoils and the birds were protecting their nest.

If by racist your mean anti-feline, you may be right, but I doubt they care what coloration the felines bear; Most likely to them a cat is a cats and a threat is a threat.
edit on 10-12-2013 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Accidental post.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'll admit though, one of my all-time favorite albums is 'The Crow' soundtrack. Just an amazing collection of songs!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

You're right about the nest. I see no other reason why they attacked.
For the racism,of course i was joking,because it was so funny.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bandolero

I too thought it was funny!

I had to figure out they were protecting the nest because the nest was quite a distance from were they started their attack on the snake. I also came to the conclusion from the number of birds around that there was most likely more than one nest.

I have lost enough in my old age; my teeth, my hair, my eye sight, my hearing, my butt, my boobs, I could go on but, I am starting to forget, so Please dear Lord, don't let me loose my sense of humor.

edit on 10-12-2013 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

To the uninitiated with crows, it may appear they were protecting their nest. But most animals would leave well enough alone right? No, the crows had to pester the white cat during the entire battle with the black one. The white cat was at a considerable disadvantage during that fight. It had to worry bout the black cat AND the crows...

The crows must have some kind of dark pact with the Black Cats too! Evil I tells ya!!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Amazing thread I knew crows were intelligent.
I once try to save this young jackdaw from being killed by cars so I chased it off the road .

I was attacked by seven jackdaws but I saved the young.

They never thanked me for that ,something they have to learn if they want to socialize with humans..

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
People turned into (insert the F-word) watchers and vid makers. I would turned those 3 black demons into 6 pieces and eventually make the white cat my pet. I was in such white cat situation when I was young and a pack of gypsies harassed me like this. I kinda hate hyenas' behaviour thenceforward.
You have to be like a lion to hyenas and maybe kill the crows first.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Yes, vilifying and then killing something seems to be the default solution for solving all the problems that man has created.
edit on 12-12-2013 by dainoyfb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Thanks vary much for such a mound of great interest, have loved and carefully watched such Crows as far back as I can recall, lovely to keep on seeing how wise they really are.
edit on 12-12-2013 by steaming because: Keyword mis-spelt a few words.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
CROW USES MAYO LID AS A SLED.

**** YEAH, CROW.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

That was so awesome. I was still digesting the idea of Crows 'n Tools, I was not prepared for Crows 'n Toys. It's like he's waiting to see who's looking before he rides down the roof. I don't know what to think, except that I'm starting to think that they must think we are silly, and probably dangerous.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

dainoyfb
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Yes, vilifying and then killing something seems to be the default solution for solving all the problems that man has created.
edit on 12-12-2013 by dainoyfb because: (no reason given)

forgot separation first my friend, first we separate ourselves from said living being, then we vilify, then we destroy, it's typical monkey behavior really, well at least for those humans who wish to live like monkeys eh.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
They got to be among my favorite birds, next to ravens and magpies. Both sons of bitches in the morning when Im trying to sleep but damn are they cunning and smart!

I live near the rio grande gorge and watch the ravens surf the wind, and dive like they've been shot out of the sky only to break fall at the last second. Beautiful and death defying and incredible to watch. I think they know we are watching them.

Excellent videos thanks for that!!

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Hey Bybyots I really enjoyed your thread the minute I layed eyes on your story. I wanted to make another thread about your great perceptive story about these crows . But this thread was to unique to make a second item about this, but you have to look at this video really amazing ...

peace
edit on 0b44America/ChicagoSat, 08 Feb 2014 18:26:44 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 08 Feb 2014 18:26:44 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Wow, amazing! That poor bird sure went through a lot to get that small morsel of food. LOL

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Great thread. I read an article not long ago on how scientist are studying crows brains to gain insight into how alien species could develope. Their brains are completely different from ours yet they have reason.

Just think if things had gone a little different on the evolutionary tree.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join