It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SkyJack, Take Control of Drones!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

SkyJack is a drone engineered to autonomously seek out, hack, and wirelessly take over other drones within wifi distance, creating an army of zombie drones under your control.

A hacker by the name of Samy Kamkar managed to create a Software that can into drones and have them at your command!

This is pretty cool and can be fun to prank people with once in a while
But obviously if in the wrong hands, it can cause alot of harm.

A main concern is the fact that Amazon has plans to start sending out deliveries using drones in the future. With this software publicly going around, someone can easily hack one of those Amazon drones and steal your package!

I wonder if this is going to kill Amazon's idea. If not, I wonder what steps they will take.

Another question I have is, how powerful can this software be? Though I doubt it, can it have the potential to hack into military drones?

Here is the main website of the software SkyJack

What are your thoughts on this, ATS?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

Wouldn't the problem be analogous to that of wireless networks in general?

We all know that wireless networks get hacked into because they are not secured, even though most wireless routers have the capability to enter a strong password to encrypt communications, in which case the most you could do is jam the signals and not intercept them

I don't see why the same logic wouldn't apply to drones. There are jammers that can jam the signal if the drone is being flown by external command instead of internal program, but if strong encryption is used for the wireless signal it seems like someone might need a password to take over the drone. Like wireless networks which are unsecured, I'm sure some drones are unsecured, but that doesn't mean all the technology is flawed, it just means they need to be secured.

Also the obvious workaround for Amazon is to pre-program the delivery instructions. Since no packages are being added in flight, it shouldn't need external commands to fly it. It could run on internal instructions, making it unhackable via wireless means. Even jammers couldn't stop it in that case.

join