It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Satellite Crossing The Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Taken by Richard Schmidt on December 1, 2013 @ Burleith Observatory, Washington, DC.

Details:

While imaging sunspots we observed a fast-moving satellite with a long boom arm crossing the field of view. This sequence spans 36 milliseconds of real time. The object was moving East at 1 degree per second. Lunt LS100 solar telescope.

When I try to click on view EXIF data it comes up unavailable

Camera Used: Unavailable Unavailable
Exposure Time: Unavailable
Aperture: Unavailable
ISO: Unavailable
Date Taken: Unavailable

Link to source on spaceweather.com

Long boom arm? I do see something though.

Can ATS solve this case?

I'm don't really have a clue what it is, but neither does the Burleith Observatory.....yet.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I have no clue either about what it is.

There is another smaller "round" thing at the tip of the "boom" protruding out of that satellite.

Very interesting!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
What was this filmed with? May be a stupid question but could it be something in front of the lens?

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'll have to use George Lucas's fiction to come up with an answer...

Probe Droid.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
thats one big satellite....??

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
What IS that thing? It's moving very fast and it looks, to my untrained eye, very large!! I guess it could be the proximity of the object between the camera and the Sun, but gosh it looks big!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
pretty wild and just wondering also where it would be in conjunction with the sun, hard to say without knowing any distances.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Something like this I think.

Link to telescope

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Can this be a fragment of ISON ?! ...However, the "thing" is not crossing the Sun as it suddenly appears from no-where !!!
edit on 3-12-2013 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

its obviously the event horizon returning from inter-dimensional travel commin to make us gouge our eyeballs out
. but on a real note awesome find and i hope we can all put our heads together to possibly find out what it is.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Looks like something that was created when the cat ate some dental floss.

It appears to have something sticking out of it, I have no clue what it is.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

For those who can't see it, the "arm" is coming out the top on the left side of the object, and goes quite a ways "up".

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
How come this artifact appears in the middle of the field, it is like it was created there? A possible reflection?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
FAlconsat 3 carried a boom like that, plus a small bar at the end of the boom. The satellite operates in LOE, and since its pretty small it might just appear like that in a telescope.

Falconsat 5/US221 is another, but it is secret, (sort of) and not much info on that.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I guess that is the next logical question: why does it appear out of nowhere? Now this is going to bug me until an answer can be found lol! I'm actually on the site via my hubby's PS3, which I didn't know I could do until yesterday, and using a keyboard plugged into a usb port. BUT it's really slow loading pages and tricky to write replies. So somebody come up with the answer already, my "research" tools are limited

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
it has to be big to see it against the sun.

i see the boom.
how close to the sun is it?

cool stuff, op.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would take a guess at this being a sun spot travelling but sped up. If you look closely you can see a lighter shade around it suggesting it affects the matter around it, almost like a ripple.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

it has to be big to see it against the sun.

I'm not so sure about that

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
since none said it... ummm MERCURY??

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

This sequence spans 36 milliseconds of real time. The object was moving East at 1 degree per second.

WHAT ????

36 MILLISECONDS ???

-(1 millisecond is 0.001 seconds)-
33.367 milliseconds is the amount of time one frame lasts in an 29.97fps video, BUT HERE WE CLEARLY HAVE MORE THAN 1 FRAME: the object moves.

How did they manage to record that, are they using high speed cameras to record the surface of the Sun? It doesn't really make sense...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join