It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary Abuse of Private Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Paraplegic woman blocked from traveling to U.S. because she suffers depression which ‘could make her a danger to others’

A Canadian woman has been denied entry into the United States by a Customs and Border Protection agent because she was hospitalized for depression in 2012.

Ellen Richardson, who is paraplegic, went to Pearson airport to fly to New York City, where she was to embark on a Caribbean cruise.

The agent who refused Richardson entry cited the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212, which denies entry to people who have had a physical or mental disorder that may pose a 'threat to the property, safety or welfare' of themselves or others.

The agent stated that "system checks" uncovered the information. And based on this information, an agent, at his sole discretion, can make this determination? - that's one scary part, but the fact that he had access to the information to begin with is even scarier.

What do they not know about us - and do we really need "agents" making decisions about our lives and activities based on their discretion?

Hospitalization for depression makes you a potential danger to others? - that's casting a pretty wide net and setting a dangerous precedent.

But, this is the ugly road too much information in the hands of the governments is going to lead us down.

Guess Canadian citizens info is being scooped up by the NSA net as well.

And since the Obamacare website has minimal security - this has the potential to get soooo much worse.

By the way, her condition is stabilized and she lost the $6,000 she paid for the cruise.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The MP wants to know "how did the US find out that she had been to a hospital in 2012, why do they care?" "This is very disturbing", says Sullivan "that our medical record is now going to be something that will prevent us from entering".

www.newstalk1010.com...
www.insidetoronto.com...[ed itby]edit on 28-11-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thank god they are finally cracking down on the dangerous depressed paraplegics.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It's for sure that the privacy of Canadians is lost and we have been sold out. All our transactions, prescriptions, conversations and movements are known and recorded. And then some poorly informed guy with a bit of power misapplies it, thinking he's somehow saving his country from a potential killer. Really? Too bad though, as the trip might just have been what she needed.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, OP. S&F.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes, she is rather threatening -

Perhaps they're worried she will accelerate her wheelchair and runover someone's........foot?

Or, she could be wearing one of those newfangled "underwear bombs"

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Remember people, if you've done nothing wrong then it doesn't matter what they know....right??

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This reminds me of those 2 British tourists, a couple, who tweeted they were gonna "blow it up" for 3 weeks when they arrived in the US. When the plane landed they were whisked off to a secure area and interrogated.

After explaining that "blow it up" is slang for party hard they were left alone for some time and then put on the next flight back to England!!!!!

I had no desire to visit the US but now Id be to scared to even use it to catch a connecting flight to somewhere else with all the stuff Ive said on here.

Guaranteed Im on some watch list somewhere LOL

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Now we're cooking with gas!

The system is finally beginning to work.

I'm sorry, but I don't need to be blown to bits at the mall, or gunned down at work, all because someone else is known to be mentally unsound. A happy person does not run around grumbling about stuff, and buying guns, before breaking down at the feet of a doctor and spilling their guts to the whole world. And a happy camper is not going to careen an airliner into a skyscraper. I guarantee you that those bad men were depressed. But I'm no armchair detective or internet sleuth. I leave these tasks to the experts.

The information used to bar entry was accurate. It is part of permanent medical records, and doctors are the only ones who can determine sanity, or who is a threat to us normal persons. I don't care if every single word I said is analyzed by Johnny Utah. In fact, if they want to watch and listen to me 24-7 I'll even throw some tips their way.

Every day I see these Sad Sacks; they are every where. But what we do with them isn't my call. That's why the smartest and most intelligent and most fit to run things are in charge! Our taxes are being put to excellent use. See something, say something.

Together, we can make amerika safe!

In fact, I demand this.

Please note that thanks to the system, no one died. No cruise ship sank from a bomb smuggled in under her skirts. But if that sick person had somehow slipped through the turnstiles, we might be reading a different story. Then there would be funerals. Once there are deaths and funerals, it's far too late to start wishing we had clamped down on these crazies. So, I'd say we're good with this. No one's rights were violated, and many lives were potentially saved!

Technology changes!

In fact, I think that if one were to become depressed about this technology success story, then they must have problems that, to say the least, should restrict their movement as well.

# 91
edit on 29-11-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Well I would never set foot in America,but aside from people from other countries being refused entry into the US on account of being hospitalised because of depression-what about US citizens??? How many depressed able-bodied folks are roaming the US-and how long before they are not allowed to board a plane or a Greyhound because they could be a danger to others? So much easier to be a killing machine when you are both depressed AND not confined to a wheelchair.Talk about ass-over-teakettle logic.America really is becoming the laughing-stock of the world,and no wonder.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious to everyone?
Just look at that wheelchair -
No mandatory Nerf bumpers.
Probably didn't have insurance to drive that thing either.
Just who do these crazy Canucks think they are anyway?

[sarcasm off]

Trust me, what they do to outsiders they plan on doing to citizens soon enough.

Tell her next time to go to Mexico then enter the US.
Just say "hola" and they'll assign you a personal ICE agent to push your chair to anywhere in the Continental US.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWhiteKnight

Apparently, this is not an isolated case -

More than a dozen Canadians have told the Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office in Toronto within the past year that they were blocked from entering the United States after their records of mental illness were shared with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The thing is is how did they actually get away with applying the Immigration and Naturalization acts against her seeing how she was NOT IMMIGRATING, but just passing through? I hope she sues these a**hats and gets her cruise at 1 half a million dollars, she could get a nicer cruise, a house and plenty of happy pills. I think she should sue for every cent she can get because first of all the Naturilization and Immigration laws do not apply to anyone unless they're planning to LIVE here and medical records would/ should only be available on those that actually filled out the application to reside here (which the applicant knows because it is stated on the form) YOU the applicant have to check mark a spot to give the US access to your medical records! You have to sign it, it has to be CONSENTED to. This is totally unlawful to just have access to the records without knowledge or consent!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Too many questions surrounding this whole case and yes, it's one to keep an eye on. Too much information on private citizens available these days and whether it was a rogue agent abusing his authority or something deeper - it's very disturbing either way.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow, this is very weird. I just read an article that said the Toronto Chair of Mental Health is hand delivering a letter to Biden about this case on Monday, but I can't copy from the article --

So here's the link - if anyone else would like to try. New, simpler form of internet censorship? Or simply my ineptitude.

read.thestar.com...#!/article/52993811cb0071629b5a4f8b-mental-health-activist-wants-u-s-vice-preside nt-to-intervene-in-ellen-richardson-case

Links not direct....have to scroll to screen 5.

This definitely needs more attention. People need to know what can be done to them when their private information is up for grabs.

Another thread on this www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-11-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

join