It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama’s call to close Vatican embassy is ‘slap in the face’ to Roman Catholics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Obama’s call to close Vatican embassy is ‘slap in the face’ to Roman Catholics

The Obama administration, in what’s been called an egregious slap in the face to the Vatican, has moved to shut down the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See — a free-standing facility — and relocate offices onto the grounds of the larger American Embassy in Italy.

The new offices will be in a separate building on the property, Breitbart reported.

And while U.S. officials are touting the relocation as a security measure that’s a cautionary reaction to last year’s attacks on America's facility in Benghazi, several former American envoys are raising the red flag.

So this is an interesting turn of events... For those who are not familiar with the Vatican / Catholic Church they are more than just a religion. The Vatican, while located in Rome, is a separate entity from Italy with their own government. The Vatican has diplomatic relations with countries thru their embassies and their ambassadors are referred to as Papal Nuncio's. The Vatican is a city state with UN membership.

While the Obama administration is passing this off as nothing more than a security issue, I am really wondering if this is the result of, not security, but instead of a Federal Court ruling on Obama Care that was made in favor of the Church dealing with contraceptive mandates.

Pennsylvania Catholic groups win ObamaCare reprieve

Two Pennsylvania Catholic dioceses have won a delay in having to comply with what they argue are controversial mandates in ObamaCare that would go against their religious values.

A federal judge ruled Thursday that forcing two Catholic schools and charities related to the schools to comply with parts of the Affordable Care Act could result in a loss of donations and workers, and fines that would force some of the church programs to shut down.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab for the Pittsburgh and Erie Catholic dioceses buys the two groups time to appeal their case to higher courts. The dioceses objected to the law's requirement that contraception, including sterilization, be offered in employee health care plans.

Schwab said the government won't be harmed by a delay in the case but that the dioceses would be harmed and would face a "substantial burden on their free exercise of religion" if they were forced to comply by Jan 1.

What say you:

Is this really about Embassy Security?

or

Is this really about the Catholic Church being punished for challenging Obama and the Affordable Care Act?

Click links for the remainder of both articles.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Because he can !

We have to start thinking why someone kneels deep to some and leaves twigs to doorsteps of someone else...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
No, it's not embassy security. That explanation in itself is a mockery. The US is concerned about Embassy security? They've got free standing facilities in, oh maybe, a dozen countries which regularly have demonstrations calling for the death of the US and Obama. Now, suddenly, they're concerned that terrorists will get through Italian security, Roman security, and Vatican City security, with mortars, missiles, and machine guns?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I think that if you look a little deeper into the Vatican security you may find the Swiss army ...Maybe Assange has swayed the Swedes . ...I always thought that they were even more passive than Canadians so maybe Obama thinks they are wussies :>)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Dear the2ofusr1,

You might be thinking of the Swiss guards in their ceremonial costumes. They do look pretty whimsical, but don't forget that they also have all completed military training, use military pistols and submachine guns, and also operate undercover. Further, there is a Vatican police force in addition to the guards.

If Obama thinks his embassies are safe in Egypt, they're safe in Rome.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
the vatican has many skeletons in their closet, most of which you wont hear about on any given sunday. perhaps some bad karma rolling around the vatican and i would think catholics, most of whom only go to church for a sin pass and go, have little to squawk about. i was raised catholic and know them well, luckily i moved away from it long ago.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

Thank you, that is interesting.

the vatican has many skeletons in their closet, most of which you wont hear about on any given sunday.

Would you be kind enough to take the time to tell me about some of these "many skeletons," and how they might affect Obama's decision to move the Embassy?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

buster2010
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I see the search function is working as usual...

thanks - Mods please lock down.

ETA - I want the cookie...

edit on 26-11-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

DearXcathdra,

I hope they don't close this one. The other is full of "strange" (meaning uninformed) comments even on page 1. We're still relatively sane here.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Please continue in the Existing Thread.

new topics

top topics

join