It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheese Made From the Bacteria of Human Tears, Belly Buttons And Noses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Cheese’s salty, creamy, gooey goodness is made possible from the biological efforts of molds and bacteria. But what if those bacteria came not from a cow, goat, sheep or the broader environment, but were intentionally colonized from a human nose, toe or belly button?

At Dublin’s Science Gallery, artists and cheesemakers lovingly harvested human microbes and cultured them into several delicious-looking but mentally off-putting wheels of cheese. The cheeses are part of an exhibition called Selfmade, which celebrates the diversity of life found in and on our own bodies. Each of the eleven cheeses, collected with a sterile swab from various artists and scientists’ body parts, represents a unique microbial landscape, they say, including tears, a belly button, the inside of a man’s nose and a mouth.

Here, the artists explain their work’s methodology:

Isolated microbial strains were identified and characterised using microbiological techniques and 16S ribosomal RNA sequencing. Like the human body, each cheese has a unique set of microbes that metabolically shape a unique odour. Cheese odours were sampled and characterised using headspace gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis, a technique used to identify and/or quantify volatile organic compounds present in a sample.

The cheeses, apparently, were faithful to the body smells of their original donors. “It’s no surprise that sometimes cheese odors and body odors are similar,” artist Christina Agapakis explained to Dezeen maagzine. “But when we started working together we were surprised by how not only do cheese and smelly body parts like feet share similar odor molecules but also have similar microbial populations.”

The artists recently held a wine and cheese pairing event, in which visitors stuck their noses close to the human cheese and took a big whiff. They were not allowed, however, to actually sample those delicacies. But if visitors were given a chance to take a nibble, the odds that they would agree are questionable. As one viewer anonymously wrote in a review of the exhibit, the Atlantic reports, “The cheese one: I is so yuck and grose.”

smithsonianmag

Ohh man that is gross. Would you like some toe jam with that? I swear some people have way too much time on their hands. Err… I know I posted this thread but I feel a little sick now.

Well enjoy.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Ewwww. first thought was "fromunda" cheese and I successfully made myself sick as well....

Yuck. For real.
There are boundaries. They just crossed one.

edit on 11/25/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
lol!!

S&F for gross factor.

but there are certain err, celebrities, i might try on a cracker, with a glass of wine.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Wouldn't be surprised if Fast Food Companies are thinking about this one....
edit on 25-11-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
That would go well to make a wonderful cheeseburger with the poop meat, or even the artificial one that costs a 100 000$ a piece...

bleahrkh

Yeah, some have too much time on their hands...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
How about a beer made from some dudes beard to go with that.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
oh my thats so wrong on a few levels..makes me queesy thinking about..why..why did i look at this thread

im officially not hungry

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
All I can think is thank god I gave up eating cheese a while ago for health reasons, and I never could understand why people wanted to eat mouldy food anyway...blue cheese turns my stomach, and the smell.....oh god....

But this is beyond disgusting. Can't these people find something genuinely useful to do with their lives?

A local market here had a cheesemonger stall for a while....the stench was unholy, and they had all kinds of weird stuff for sale, including a "fine blue cheese that had been aged by burying it, and allowing ants to nibble on the surface". People were actually paying money for this abomination!!

And...and...more monstrous yet....they were offering CHEESE WEDDING CAKES!!!! Mmmm...honey, let's sample some of our bodily fungus and have someone make cheese for our wedding cake...will be so much more personal for our guests to consume some of our foosty bits on our special day......*barf*

This isn't the company I was referring to, but kinda shows what I mean, and proves I didn't nightmare it up.

Foosty cheese cakes

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well everyone knows where Limburger cheese came from right? From in between the toes of some Monk's some where, a long time ago.I have Never tried it.

Plus fresh New baby Poop, mother milk.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

OOOOOO
Well everyone knows where Limburger cheese came from right? From in between the toes of some Monk's some where, a long time ago.I have Never tried it.

Plus fresh New baby Poop, mother milk.

try some stinky tofu. you won't be surprised by the name but by the taste.

limburger actually tastes very good, try some ripe durian, delicious.

i'd rather eat these things than juniper berries or have a gin and tonic.

anyway, who would not eat some cheese made from lady gaga? lol!!

just kidding.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Cheese Made From the Bacteria of Belly Button lint And Nose snot

:

finally ,,now I can put some cheese on my Turd Burger

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Some days I wish I could unlearn what I have just learned.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

what's next?
soylent green of course.

and to all those wishing they'd stayed ignorant:
you'll be thanking the OP, when they start serving this in school cafeterias on the sly.
then the long pork friday's will be making an appearance.

edit on 25-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: (no reason given)

join