It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brewmaster Makes Beer From His Beard Yeast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

One beer brewer in Oregon is taking the concept of “locally grown” to a new extreme, using yeast harvested from his beard to make signature ale. Not satisfied with growing his own barley, hops and honey, John Maier of Rogue Ales turned to his facial hair in order to find new flavors.

To cultivate his very own yeast, Maier took nine hairs from his beard—which he says he hasn’t shaved since 1978—and sent them to a lab in California for testing. The Scientist reports on what he was hoping to find:

Brewers yeast, mostly in the Saccharomyces genus, looks like creamy white, shiny circles, and when scooped has the consistency of butter. Then researchers cultured the yeast to see if it would actively ferment. The beard hair’s yeast surprisingly performed like a hybrid between the brewery’s “house” yeast strain, called Pacman yeast—which is used to make most Rogue Ales—and a wild yeast.

While the thought of drinking some guy’s beard might not inspire cravings for a cold bottle, scientists point out that most fermenting species of yeast are found on animals, insects and rotting fruit, so cultivating yeast from a person’s body might not be that far-fetched after all.

But how unique is beard yeast, and is it really worth all that trouble?

As the New York Times revealed, gastronomists looking to single out their own special strain of microbe may be disappointed to find that signature food bugs seem difficult to come by. For example, 90 percent of the world’s sourdough, a Harvard microbiologist found, contains the same single species of bacteria, regardless of whether it hails from Brooklyn or Bombay. Yogurt, too, tends to be comprised of run-of-the-mill communities of cookie-cutter Lactobacillus and Streptococcus.

Whether signature yeast or other microbes make a difference for flavor, brewing beer from beard yeast does grab attention. Rogue Ales plans to release its beard brew next spring, dubbed New Crustacean. “We want to let the yeast be the star of the show,” Maier told The Scientist.

SmithsonianMag

Almost as bad as the cheese thread. Still way too much time on his hands. People are just trying to ruin everything for me even beer. Beware of the microbrewery people beware.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I don't always drink beer, but when I do it's made from my own yeast.

… and I prepare my pallet with belly button cheese.
edit on 25-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Grimpachi, you are toastmaster of the year. And you're gross......

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Duck Dynasty could be even more rich than they are now!!!!

Who wouldn't want some of that?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Ugh. If I made some from my beard, you'd end up with lambic instead of beer.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Duck Dynasty could be even more rich than they are now!!!!

Who wouldn't want some of that?

the duck dynasty reference made me feel more gross than the idea of this guy harvesting yeast from his beard

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You guys should try the rocket fuel I make from my underpants

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Grimpachi

One beer brewer in Oregon is taking the concept of “locally grown” to a new extreme, using yeast harvested from his beard

It's not like anyone really knows whats in the food supply nowadays ...but Isn't that technically cannibalism ??

that beer must go good with some fava beans

It takes all kind of critters to make farmer Vincent's fritters

Turd burger anyone?

edit on 25-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Blowback

but Isn't that technically cannibalism ??

How? The yeast used was "growing IN his beard" -- not actually him.

top topics

join