It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is Racist, Says Portland School Official

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I simply do not know where to begin with this as it is utter stupidity. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist??? Political correctness and fear of offending someone has now reached a new low. Frankly why should anyone care if people in the US eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Next thing you know some poor unsuspecting child brings a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school for lunch and then gets labeled a racist.

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist? That’s right. Apparently, it’s because people in some cultures don’t eat sandwich bread. Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School in Portland explained in and interview with the Portland Tribune: “Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said. “What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Source

What next will be considered racist? What say you ATS?

Mods if you need to move the thread please do so.
edit on 11/21/2013 by pstrron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's a sad world we live in when talking about the food we eat is perverted into a racist subject.

Personally, I eat food from pretty much any culture. I find it a great conversation starter and a way to break the ice. ( whoops, is ice now racist too??)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Holy crap, that's utterly ind bending.

TPTB are using "political correctness" as a weapon of confusion, distraction and misdirection. The most insignificant, minute thing will be considered offensive or racist that the average person will not be able to identify when something truly racist or offensive is said or occurs.

That's where this place is headed.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

pstrron

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist?

What next will be considered racist?

Speaking English will be considered racist.
here's a hypothetical quote from the near future:

“Take the English language, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said. “What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not speak English?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans speak English, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they speak Spanish. Or Portuguese.”

link   

markosity1973
It's a sad world we live in when talking about the food we eat is perverted into a racist subject.

Personally, I eat food from pretty much any culture. I find it a great conversation starter and a way to break the ice. ( whoops, is ice now racist too??)

Your a racist! There is no ice where my ancestors come from! You hate Black people!

link   
reply to post by pstrron

That's just ignorance....

I drive a Ford truck, if I say that to somebody from some country where they don't drive Ford's I suppose that is racist also?!?!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I am beginning to think the fact that I draw breath makes me a racist.

What can you do? Once you engage someone who is claiming racism, the argument has already been lost. That's the point I suppose.

I think they want us all to cease seeing any difference in any person. But when we do that, we also cease to find the uniqueness as well. We are all different in more ways than we can count, to try and make everyone act as if we are not is madness.

The PC train ran off the tracks a long time ago....

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

bigman88

markosity1973

Your a racist! There is no ice where my ancestors come from! You hate Black people!

Well now to be fair, I hate all people equally

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

I'd have to tell principal Verenice Gutierrez that first we're not in Somalia or Mexico, we're in the US. In the USA we do eat PB&J sandwiches and she should quit being a moron.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Mmmmm racism...!!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
To even further the insult the school has gone so far as to require intensive staff trainings regarding their own “white privilege,”. Can someone please tell me where a peanut butter and jelly sandwich means “white privilege,”.

The Tribune noted that the school started the new year with “intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives,” to help educators understand their own “white privilege,” in order to “change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.”"Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the ‘white privilege’ it conveys,” the Tribune added.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

pstrron

Can someone please tell me where a peanut butter and jelly sandwich means “white privilege,”.

I can tell you that I grew up pretty poor and nobody in my family considered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or bologna sandwiches for that matter) ANY kind of "white privilege".

They have left the real world and are now living in the land of the loony. That is just so far beyond ridiculous it makes a vein pop out in my temple.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

pstrron

“Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said. “What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Source

What next will be considered racist? What say you ATS?

Mods if you need to move the thread please do so.
edit on 11/21/2013 by pstrron because: (no reason given)

Who gives a rats ass if they eat torta or a fricken pita. They are attending school in America where we eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and if you don't like it show yourself the door! I am sick to death of this PC, and racist BS! It is sad when you can't be American in America!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I couldn't have said it better. I agree, wholeheartedly!
star for you sir!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
So, does this also mean that if Mexican person offers me a delicious tortilla in trade for my peanut butter and jelly sandwich at school, we're both racist because we just talked about and God forbid traded lunches?

My brain hurts just thinking about this one...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Its not about racism, it's not even about the sandwich, its about giving us stupid people something to moan and complain about!!!
Meanwhile they continue to rob us blind and, take away our rights, and slowly inprison us, all done while we worry about a racist sandwich.

You just gotta laugh, they must be splitting their sides.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Screw it. I'm just going to be as racist, homophobic and bigotted as I possibly can. Archie Bunker is making a come back!
edit on 11/21/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

White Privilege? Peanut Butter and Jelly? Racist?

If the principle is worried about racism he or she needs to look in the mirror for its definition, and his or her heart for a way to combat it... not at a sandwich!
edit on 21-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'd have to tell principal Verenice Gutierrez that first we're not in Somalia or Mexico,

Yes it does look like she may need a clue card. I wonder if she considers President Carter a racist because he was a peanut farmer and peanuts are used to make peanut butter.

edit on 11/21/2013 by pstrron because: gender correction

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
OMG I'M A RACIST.

I ate a PB&J just today and I frequently feed these horrible, offensive sandwiches to my children.

I must have a lot of nerve...

/end sarcasm

This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join