It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rainbow as Symbol and Phenomenon..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This thought just occurred to me, so prepare for a purely stream-of-consciousness thread but..

The occurrence that spawned this thread-o-thought was:

Sunlight on the hair, from a first-person-perspective, is a combination of blurred strands (as the focus of the eye approaches its near-sighted limitation) and rainbow patterns that seem to fill-in the "ambiguous information" or "remainder" of the equation..

This got me to thinking about WHAT the rainbow represents scientifically and symbolically..

Symbolically: I am only using my own experience for research (which is the only way to really say anything about symbols) but to me, the most prominent examples of rainbow-symbolism are:

-Gay Culture
-Suspenders and Fashion of the 60s and 70s
-The TV show Reading Rainbow
-pretty much anything that is supposed to appeal to children, families, etc etc..

Scientifically: It is the result of White-Light (a beam of pure-potentiality, equal in all spectrums and the visual equivalent to white-noise in audio..) being FILTERED by a prism or other material (such as water) which divides the White-Light into every color that we can recognize..
The light isn't CHANGED into something entirely different.. it's just been transposed to where we perceive it in terms of recognizable bands of colour.. not fundamentally changed as a phenomenon..

It also seems to occur when looking at the part of a data-disk that holds information which we cannot observe and understand without using a computer as a filter to transpose the information to a part of the spectrum that we CAN understand (the visual-spectrum, in the form of code, text, picture, sound, video..) because it is actually turning the rainbow (on the bottom of the disk) BACK into it's fundamental form; White Light (in which it was programmed)

NOW!

..for the connection and apparent disinformation..

as a symbol, The Rainbow has been used to represent "equality" and "acceptance" when in fact it seems to literally represent separation and MISUNDERSTANDING.. Even if it does intuitively register as a "symbol of inclusion", at best it seems to represent "tolerance" rather than "acceptance" which are very different things if you look at them closely..

(keep in mind that good old-time idea of "Equal but separate" to justify racism..)

Tolerance - implies that everyone should TOLERATE those who "are different from them" (uhh.. which is everyone to some extent..?) but that it is acceptable to ignore any inconvenient and "wrong" ways of life, and even conspire to "change their wicked ways" and hence we see evangelism of every different kind, amongst the religious and scientific alike..

Acceptance - does NOT mean (to me) a fatalistic, apathetic "giving-in" to everything in life that seems truly convoluted, complex, confused, and downright inconvenient.. (notice I avoid the word "wrong" for an entire thread's worth of reasons..) BUT what acceptance DOES mean (to me) is: no different than (music term!) "transposing" all of those differences from what they appear to be and realizing their common origins and function in the world.. at least in an effort to realize how YOU WOULD NOT BE THE SAME PERSON IF THE WORLD WERE NOT JUST AS IT IS AT THIS MOMENT..
..sorry for the caps, but I just mean to emphasize critical things that could easily mis-read or interpreted as metaphor. I LITERALLY mean that You and I would not be the same people, reading/writing these words, had we not experienced the EXACT world that we have experienced thusfar.. memory of this world can either be a weight of confusion, separation, and hostility, or it can be used as fuel for the a brighter future.. pun intended

if you disagree or would like to clean any of this up, please be my guest!

..I welcome Trolls, Skeptics, and the Faithful alike to find holes in any of my reasoning in this thread or otherwise..

..the best way to learn ^-^

(post by Restricted removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
No one can use the rainbow any more.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Restricted
No one can use the rainbow any more.

Skittles tells us to taste the rainbow.....

Me, I like rainbows. Don't really care what or who they represent.
Other peoples reactions are their problem, not mine.

I'm like that with most symbols. They only have the power you give them

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

The Rainbow in the bible it is a Contract to Noah from GOD

Not to KIll Mankind Again ... more Less a Truce ...

Be fore The Deluge No Rain Bows Existed !

Let alone Major Clouds No Rain

The Earth was Covered With a Canopy

Pre-Flood Vapor Canopy Radiative Temperature Profiles
www.icr.org...

Water came up from the Ground and Cause Mist/Vapor and Drenched the Earth to Keep Life Afloat ...

According to the Bible that is ... Before the Flood Deluge

Tho Most have said the Vapor Canopy is False
Yet There is existing Vapor Canopys in our Solar System !! AKA Thick Atmospheres

Now it Used For its Prism of Colors .. For Gender and Race. of Many Colors and find that Pot of Luck of Gold !!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I definitely agree with that!

I don't even know where this thread came from haha. But somewhere in there, there does seem to be a profound meaning behind the use of the rainbow..
Though I do think it is probably intentional that the rainbow was chosen to be used to represent gay culture (while actually representing separation haha.) but, as with most things in this realm, there's no way to prove or disprove it

I suppose what i'm ultimately interested in, is how natural phenomenon are used to represent abstract, human concepts, and how abstract, human concepts are in turn, used to represent natural phenomenon ^-^

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Just the worship it deserves...

new topics

top topics

join