It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cant get iphone 4 to show as a device in iTunes *Solved*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hi , for some reason my iPhone has stopped showing up in iTunes which means i cant sync anything or do backups. This happened a month or so back and i haven't been able to find a fix. When i plug the iPhone into my main computer i get a window pop up asking me if i want to import pictures from the iPhone. So a connection is being made its just not recognizing it as an iPhone.

Ive tried uninstalling iTunes and then deleting the preferences ('apple computer folders' ) in app data and roaming data. Ive tried plugging it into all the different usb ports.

I've got a feeling its a configuration problem as I've installed iTunes on a notebook just to test if it might be the lead or the phone and it connected up fine. Maybe i need to strip out all the drivers when i uninstall iTunes.

A complete reinstall of the OS is just not an option.

My main computer is :

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Intel i7 64bit
ASRock z77 pro3 mobo
32gb ram
1tb SSD
Radeon HD 7970

edit on 17-11-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Often times it's the Apple Mobile Device Software.
Try following these steps, removing the software in the order indicated:
Apple Support
edit on 17-11-2013 by sageturkey because: Edit

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeah,
I went through all of that as well as three long assistance calls with Apple.
After about 3 months of not being able to sync my phone I bought an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8.

Everything worked fine after I did the windows 8 upgrade.

I believe that there is a failure between the windows 7 and Apple upgrades that caused the issue. Apple was extremely helpful but couldn't solve the problem because they said the issue was a registry problem in windows.

By the way, a reinstallation of windows 7 did not fix the problem. It took a windows 8 upgrade for me.

I hate windows 8 by the way.

It forces you to operate a computer like an ADHD 12 year old uses a cellphone.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

Thanks for the link sageturkey i've managed to get it to show up now.

I followed the instructions in the link you sent and after that i did a scan of my c: drive searching for
"iTunes"
"bonjour"
"apple"

The scan found a whole bunch of folders that still remained even after following apples instructions. I deleted all the folders and then restarted the computer. After reinstalling iTunes my iPhone is finally showing up.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Awesome! So you didn't try it before deleting all of the extra folders? Just curious...
I see that a lot where the uninstall routines leave stuff behind for various reasons. Wish they had a cleanup tool as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

No i just deleted everything, i might program my own cleanup tool now i know what to get rid of to make it work.

top topics

join