It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Is Possible Without A Pulse Or A Heart Beat!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Life Is Possible Without A Pulse Or A Heart Beat!

This is something I thought only could happen with Dick Chenney.
But seriously, the science of life has just taken a giant step.

Doctors have successfully replaced a dying man's heart with a 'continuous flow' device they developed, proving that life was possible without a pulse or a heart beat.

Link

Craig Louis' heart was failing. His only shot, a new technology developed by Dr. Frazier developed pumps to replace the heart.
With experiments on animals, there was successful procedures on over 50 calves.
This was never done on a humanl, but it was craigs only hope of survival.
Next day, stable, writing on his computer, Craig was doing good.
Wow. Just incredible. Maybe heart disease will be moot soon.
edit on 14-11-2013 by imd12c4funn because: typo

edit on 14-11-2013 by imd12c4funn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Interesting story, somewhat of a success, needs work. For those who cannot do videos here is the story.

We implanted a continuous-flow total heart replacement device in a 55-year-old man who had severe end-stage heart failure due to amyloidosis and no other options for treatment. The device was composed of 2 modified HeartMate II ventricular assist pumps. After the implantation, our patient recovered normal neurologic function and was able to converse with his family and work on his computer. He died of multisystem organ failure caused by severe amyloidosis 5 weeks after the implantation.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The man died, but I guess having a pulse is no longer the way to define 'life'. Technically brain activity is the ultimate definition.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Did he find the equipment to build it on craigs list?

Sick joke.

I was under the impression that the beat of the heart was needed for a lot of things. It could be removed short term but the beat needed to be there for a person to have other proper organ function. I'll have to read the article.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

My father has sarkoidosis (sp) and is in advanced heart failure. I just asked him about this option, and he said they dont last long.

I hope they, as in whoever makes these things, keeps improving on it and they develop these things to work for longer periods of time.

These heart problems are scary, I know what I'm going through with my dad is tough, but were trying to get donations to get him a heart transplant.

May this man that died, rest in peace.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

This was first done (or at least, first in the media) in early 2012...
pretty incredible technology though.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
A lot of people on HeartMates have no discernable pulse.

It's not that you don't have blood flow, but a HM2 is an axial flow electric pump. If the left ventricle shuts down totally, the HM2 doesn't really care. It doesn't impair the thing in the least.

You've only got a 'pulse' because evolution didn't know how to make axial electric pumps. It's not like having one (or not) is required in any way, as long as the blood goes round and round.

In general, with an HM2, if you want to get an idea of blood pressure you have to either put in an arterial line or you can use a doppler and get a "systolic" (you really don't have a diastolic in some recipients).

top topics

join