It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing Careers at 43

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hey all,

As I was recovering from surgery I had a lot more time to work on a lot of the artwork I do, and as such was asked nicely if I would consider doing it full time, well hmm... desk duty out of the house for the US Govt OR working from home, making my own hours and doing something I love, seems like a no-brainer eh?

I thought so at first until I wrote out all of the little pro's and con's.

Two big ones stuck out at me and I still can't reconcile them, and if anyone has any ideas on it, feel free to chime in:

1) Medical benefits for disabled children. --- This has been the main reason I've kept my job over they years, even though there are days, more of them over the past few years, that I've just wanted to quit and say hell with it. My girls are disabled, and they need medical care, as well as insurance paid for devices and things (they are on no medication) If I had to pay out of pocket for the yearly expenses, it would put me in the hole to the tune of about 156-160K a year.

2) Steady paycheck. ------ Kids need clothes, food, and other things like heat. Again, a second sticking point that I cannot reconcile as freelancing is not steady and there are dry spells, and I can't see how we would survive during them..

I am however open to suggestions... which is why I posted this, if I can figure out a way on those two items I would resign immediately and go and make pretty art all day long..

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I also am a govt. employee with the same concerns. I figure I'll stay here as long as possible to keep the benefits while I try to spend any spare time I can getting my outside venture going. Sigh, it is painfully slow this way, but I need the security.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I don't. I'm not even brave enough to leave my job for something else, even though my boys are grown. The economy scares me and of course, I need my healthcare as well.

I'm not sure what your regular job hours are, but is it possible to do the artwork for an hour or two in the evenings and on the weekends? Would the person offering accept that?
Because if so, and you are actually making extra money off it, you could maybe get some idea of how much you potentially could make, and what you could afford then?

Or even save what you make from it, for 6 months to a year, to give you a cushion if you decide to make it your career?

What ever happens, I wish you the best of luck!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
tldr

You're boned

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I'd just stick with the current job.

Employer tied managed care insurance makes it incredibly difficult for people to be free and work where they want. It's unfortunate, but if you quit you may not be able to afford access to healthcare if you lose the plan.

It's only going from bad to worse and it's going to be a reality soon in the future that people will not be able to afford to do anything but work for large corporations and government. Not that there's a difference between the two.

You'd also need to consider what kind of employee you'd be if you do art. If you are a 1099 employee you will be responsible for all the taxes not just the half that regular employees are.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by vkey08

I'd just stick with the current job.

Employer tied managed care insurance makes it incredibly difficult for people to be free and work where they want. It's unfortunate, but if you quit you may not be able to afford access to healthcare if you lose the plan.

It's only going from bad to worse and it's going to be a reality soon in the future that people will not be able to afford to do anything but work for large corporations and government. Not that there's a difference between the two.

You'd also need to consider what kind of employee you'd be if you do art. If you are a 1099 employee you will be responsible for all the taxes not just the half that regular employees are.

I hadn't even considered the 1099 bit, thanks, one more thing that is a con

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Think about what you said..."recovering from surgery"....Paid leave I would guess and earned.Maybe not earned but I'm for paid leave.

Not to mention the special needs children.

You know the answer but you want somebody to say "follow your heart" and do your art. Odds are it isnt going to pay the bills.

If you drew the picture of your avatar, which is beautiful, you might have a shot, but Do not give up a gov't job unless you think your art can net you what? 160k for needs plus at least 50k salary...200k a year?

You have a 200k a year job...choose wisely

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
sorry can,t help you cause i can,t get my head round you,s guys having to pay so much for your healthcare,especially when here in Britain we have free healthcare and don,t have to worry about those kind of things.

shame you can,t chase your dreams cause of it.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

edit on 14-11-2013 by tinner07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

tinner07
Think about what you said..."recovering from surgery"....Paid leave I would guess and earned.Maybe not earned but I'm for paid leave.

Not to mention the special needs children.

You know the answer but you want somebody to say "follow your heart" and do your art. Odds are it isnt going to pay the bills.

If you drew the picture of your avatar, which is beautiful, you might have a shot, but Do not give up a gov't job unless you think your art can net you what? 160k for needs plus at least 50k salary...200k a year?

You have a 200k a year job...choose wisely

No actually I don't want someone to say follow your heart, I was actually looking ot see if there was something I missed in making my decision (which was to stay put for all those reasons mentioned) unfortunately I can't make such a large change without causing a very major hardship, i know that both mentally and well, rationally.. It's the health care component that kills me every single time..

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Keep your current job and do artwork on the side. Double plus for you and your girls.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

stay in stable job. home work rarely works

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I'm 48 years old and have decided to take as much control as possible over how I earn a living.

I'd had all sorts of jobs, most cash in hand and none for very long, before working in a packaging plant for a large multi-national company for about 18 years eventually becoming Business Improvement Manager. After being made redundant I worked as a self-employed Consultant and as a Production Manager.
During this time I also worked doors in local pubs and clubs and for a while had my own security firm.

I then ran my own pubs for a few years - great times but hard on my liver.

When I became a Grandad I decided to take some time out to help my daughter with my Grandson and when I decided to return to full-time employment I found that I was surplus to society's needs - too old, over qualified, wrong qualifications blah blah blah and too many youngsters keen to make their way in the world.

I don't receive any benefits at all, (not going into that can of worms here), I survive on doing the odd bit of door work, a bit of bar work for a mate every now and then and a few other 'sidelines' that provide an income.
A lot of time on my hands to think and ponder on my life up till then and what I wanted to do with what remains of my life.

Earlier this year I resumed my Open University studies, (I left school without any qualifications at all), and am now giving serious consideration to going to University full time next year as a mature(?) student.
I know more or less what I want to study and what I want to do once I get my degree.

The point is, you are never too old to change direction. The course I've chose doesn't suit everyone but if you want something you should go for it. Seek out what options are open to you and who can help you, if you want it there will be a way.

Some people think I'm foolish, some people are very supportive, it's all irrelevant - I'm doing this because I want to, it's got nothing to do with any one else - and yes, I have family and financial commitments etc.

Personally, I'd hate to be on my death bed and look back and think 'if only' and 'what if' - I'd rather try and fail than not try at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

What kind of art what type of media? Take a look around how much incredible art is out there. There is a huge demand for art in digital media. The chances that you make the art you want to make.......

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Do what's best for your children first and foremost. Sometimes that means putting your dreams/goals on the back burner. I've been there and I can relate. When it comes to children, they will always come first as I have no doubt you are well aware. I'd stay with the current job if it's providing insurance & a steady paycheck...try to do the art gig on the side. I'm reminded of what a wise man once said in a song...

Daddies don't get to rest,
Daddies just gotta work,
If my back begins to ache,
I guess it's just gonna have to hurt

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by vkey08

What kind of art what type of media? Take a look around how much incredible art is out there. There is a huge demand for art in digital media. The chances that you make the art you want to make.......

Well I am a CG modeler, currently working in my spare time for Doug Drexler (of Star Trek fame) making and designing the extra bits for his NX Class Refit, and also some ancillary species ships for the return of Enterprise sometime in the near future. I got asked by him if I wanted to do this full time and not just "in my sapre time" as I have been, i had to decline for the main two reasons stated above, and still in my spare time do this.

As for many others that are doing this same thing, maybe so, but I'm the one entrusted with this particular project, and I'm the only one with the physical files

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I don't know your current job. Or what he was offering in compensation but if its anything close to your current pay and you enjoy doing it that huge a opportunity missed. Do you just do modeling or animation as well? Because at lower pay and the amount of time Animators spend would be a dealbreaker.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

If the show is any kind of success just having your name involved with the production will open many doors.

top topics

join