It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been having a weird experience for the past week or so. A while back, I was watching a Youtube video. I saw the caption button on the video box and thought to myself that I never used that and wondered how accurately it would display speech. I especially wanted to use it for songs where I couldn't understand the lyrics. Nothing happened. I didn't see the captions or anything and just thought that it was weird.

After some time, I started watching some Yahoo! videos on their website. And, sure enough, the captions appeared there. Does anybody know if this is even possible? The really weird thing is that I've looked on the Yahoo! video box, and nowhere do I see an option to turn the captions on or off. There's not really a lot of options for their video box. At this point, I just want to turn off the captions somehow because of how creepy it is to me (they also are very inaccurate in what they display).

Is it possible for your browser to confuse two websites like that? And how do captions get turned on, on a video box that doesn't seem to have any options at all? Obviously I'm not technically minded, so please tell me that I'm not being snooped in on by whoever. Thanks.

And this is 100% true, but obviously I can't prove it to be true. Unless there is a rational explanation.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Sometimes captioning is turned on by default, so that may be what happened there. The first site may have been an uncaptioned video. As far as the accuracy of the captioning, most of it is done by computer aided voice recognition technology, which is far from accurate as you noticed.

They started using VR several years ago; it's cheaper than paying humans to do it and 'fulfills' their obligation to be handicapped-compliant, but obviously leaves something to be desired.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Does anybody know if this is even possible?

Since I don't think you're lying.. I would say yes it is possible

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

If you or anyone like you could elaborate.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by goou111

If you or anyone like you could elaborate.

I only say yes it is possible because you said it happened to you.. And since I don't thin you are lying then it must be possible lol

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You sure it isn't videos where someone added their own captions during the making of the videos? I've seen a few like that.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

The captions are on every single video I've watched since then. And the font is exactly the same all the time. Nice member name.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
okay I've never watched videos on yahoo before so I went over there and are you watching on something called
"Yahoo! Screen"?

If so, in the bottom right hand corner of the video there is a small arrow

if you click on this arrow a menu will pop up allowing you to select (or in this case hopefully deselect) the closed caption option.

In this day and age with browser technology I think it would be perfectly feasible for choosing an option on youtube to carry over onto another site.
hopefully this helps

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Thanks for that. I just clicked on the arrow right now, and turned them off. Yeah, I figured it was possible for something like that to happen on a browser, but I wasn't sure. Just double checking. That's one buggy browser then. And my laptop is relatively new... but anyway. Thanks for helping me out.

I use Firefox. I don't normally have any issues with Firefox. Everybody raves about Chrome, but I was having really crazy problems with that browser. I couldn't here any music on my Soundcloud or any sound anywhere. It was really bad because I couldn't test a song that I made. And that's why I switched.

And I know that with browsers anything is possible, but is that very likely to happen?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

You're welcome

Yeah I can't hear any sound when I use Chrome either. I've gotten so used to Chrome and it's got all my bookmarks and passwords that I've gotten into the habit of just switching into IE whenever I'm doing something that requires sound.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Josephus

Thanks for that. I just clicked on the arrow right now, and turned them off. Yeah, I figured it was possible for something like that to happen on a browser, but I wasn't sure. Just double checking. That's one buggy browser then. And my laptop is relatively new... but anyway. Thanks for helping me out.

I use Firefox. I don't normally have any issues with Firefox. Everybody raves about Chrome, but I was having really crazy problems with that browser. I couldn't here any music on my Soundcloud or any sound anywhere. It was really bad because I couldn't test a song that I made. And that's why I switched.

And I know that with browsers anything is possible, but is that very likely to happen?

I have had the same sound issue sporadically when using Chrome. If you are not current on Flash or Java updates you may want to update them and give it another shot
I use a browser called "SR Ware Iron" which is based off of the Chrome kernel, but far more secure and usually more stable as a whole.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I've seen the captions be humorously wrong. I suspect that they are using some type of speech recognition to create the captions on the fly.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Oh, I see what your saying now. YouTube uses adobe flash, so the captions are most likely part of that not YouTube itself. Any other online video that uses adobe flash is similarly going to have voice recognition captions.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Candycab

Would you recommend it for people who are not techie types?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

That's what I think too. It is so annoying.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I think he or she is talking about Flash as regards the issues I was having with Chrome, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong. Was that what you were talking about, Candycab?

new topics

top topics

join