It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsa Is Pointless Hassle: Converstation With Airport Eomployee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
After much deliberation I thought this would be the best forum in which to post this information. I have no
sources to cite because this (as to my knowledge and for good reason) has not been covered by the media.

I made a reference to this some time ago in a thread by another member that received few flags and was quickly buried. With the security charade at the airports getting worse every month, and witnessing the rapid decline of the public's willingness to question this ridiculous theater that is nothing but a horrible degrading hassle that makes no-one safer I decided this topic needed a thread of it's own. Here's the meat of it:

As recently as three months ago a person I know well was still working at the Mpls-St. Paul Intl. airport doing
the same part time work she has been doing for a few years. As a supplement to her other her job she cleans planes at night with a large crew. I fly quite a bit and was getting really disgusted with the state of affairs
and I asked her "Has anything changed at the airport?" She replied "No."

What I am referring to is the absurd irony that the passengers must undergo repeated harassment and in many cases horrible indignities to pass through security whilst those employed to clean the planes (especially the night crew) have almost complete unsupervised access to every inch of the inside of the plane. What supervision there is deals almost entirely with HR crap and has nothing to do with what does or may be transpiring on the plane each of us may be flying on the next day. I posed a few questions to her and here are the responses:

"Do you or any of the cleaning crew go through a security checkpoint when coming on to your shift?"

"No."

"Did you receive a background check prior to hire?'"

"Yes, but nothing really extensive. The one at the post office is much more thorough. Compared to theirs I would rate this as a 3 or 4."

"Are there any cameras around the actual workspace inside the plane and/or are you closely supervised?"

"No cameras. Sometimes a supervisor will come on to settle a dispute about who cleans the bathroom and who vacuums the seats. They really only deal with mundane ridiculous arguments and scheduling problems. Security is so far out of the picture it isn't even an afterthought."

"Are you required to check in and out at any sort of checkpoint?"

"I have a plastic badge that I need to show in order to drive into the employee lot but I don't ever get out of the car and I can bring any backpack on to the plane with me and it is never searched."

"Why do you bring a backpack?"

"To change my clothes and shoes, because sometimes there are body fluids and crusty who knows what that need to be cleaned and I'm not getting a strangers nasty germs all over my clothes and car."

"Do most people on your crew carry bags onto the planes?"

"Almost every worker on every crew has a bag to bring with them. Some of them work full time so they at least need food and water because it's not like there is a catering service pulling up to the plane at breaktimes or anything. I am not worried about this because the plane obviously isn't going anywhere while I'm cleaning it, security is NOT my job, and if the airlines couldn't care less why should I? It's plainly obvious to me that security inside the airport isn't saving lives or foiling any so-called plots. If someone asked to search my bag I would let them because I have nothing to hide and I don't care if they search anyone else on my crew because chances are they would find nothing there either. I've worked here for over a year and my bag has never been serched or scanned or whatever and I really didn't think about any of this until you asked me. Wow..... the security that passengers go through seems even more pointless than it did before. "

"Let me pose a hypothetical question. If you decided to bring,say, a firearm onto a plane and leave it somewhere for someone to use later do you think you would be caught? What if the entire crew banded together and put handguns/bombs or really anything that could fit in a backpack in various places throughout the plane, would you be caught? "

"Eventually I probably would be but by then it wouldn't matter, would it? If I acted singly it would be difficult to know exactly which one of us did it , because there is no security to begin with really. As a group effort I'm sure someone would crack and obviously I would be caught. If I were to even consider doing something like that I think I would have to be in a mental state of mind where the objective is getting whatever it is I need to get on the plane ON THE PLANE. I would already know that I would be caught most likely and like I already said it would be too late. Why would I care about anything after that? I really don't like talking about this because I'm supposed to be going on vacation soon and you are freaking me out a little.(nervous laugh)
I guess I'm used to having these philosophical/hypothetical talks with you anyway so it's not a big deal. "

"I apologize for that but if you have been on a plane recently it's absolutely ridiculous. I want people to be safe but personally it's more of a hassle and I thought it was odd that none of the cleaning crew are ever made to endure what a passenger who has paid money for a seat must go through. Rationally and logically it makes no sense to me. I am in no way advocating that you guys need to suffer because everyone else must. What nags at me is that I know these body scans and removing my shoes and the liquid limitations are a major pain in my neck. It makes me feel as if this whole thing is for an entirely different reason and people are allowed their own opinions but if you've paid attention these changes weren't made all at once, but in increments. If that doesn't set off alarm bells in one's head I don't imagine it could contain a brain---but I'm wrong about that so who knows? In short I think this is some majorly f'd up BS!"

"I'll call you after vacation and let you know what I think. I haven't been on a plane in 15 years so who knows? Maybe I will start analyzing this a bit closer.."

"Yes please do. Do you think you could bring me onto the lot sometime so I could get some footage and a few pics?"

"If I didn't need this job I would say please do and I'm pretty sure it would be even easier than you think but how could we explain that if I was caught? "

"You make a good point, but I bet the first person you get in touch with is me when you get home. You have to see this madness to believe it."

END OF CONVERSATION

You can call this hearsay,etc. but it is the absolute reality of the situation. As for getting a straight answer from the airlines , I wouldn't count on it. If any of you ATS folks know of someone with a similar job or work a similar job please contribute to this thread. I would love to hear your stories. The more recent the better, but ALL are welcome. Nothing in this country will change without the courage to opt out and not put up with the fascist regime encroaching on our families and on the future of our children. The situation at the airports is but one tiny tentacle of this slimy octopus, but an important one because we are slowly being stripped of our ability to travel. In my opinion this is a key element.

Thank You All

edit on 6-11-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

edit on 11/6/2013 by semperfortis because: corrected all CAPS

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The TSA Hassle has nothing to do with fighting Terrorism and all to do with conditioning people to accept the humorless and super-rigid totalitarian Big Brother future of control, humiliation and surveillance.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

i CONCUR 100%. It's just that this is soooo avoided by MSM and even good reliable sources that I was/am afraid this will wind up buried in the GRAY AREA. (I love the GA but this is bigger than that and it nags at me every day. I fly a lot and finally said to myself that this needs it's own thread with many member contributions for it to not end up at the bottom of the heap.

Thank You for reading my post and contributing your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

Well ... I hope this information doesn't go beyond the ATS community. It's not exactly common knowledge, but it does put a LOT into perspective ... and even more so when the context of the post immediately below yours is applied for added perspective.

The developing Police State is the crappiest sort of affair and there's no justification for it.

S&F

edit on 6112013 by Snarl because: added added

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
did someone put there finger up your bum bum?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Skyfloating
The TSA Hassle has nothing to do with fighting Terrorism and all to do with conditioning people to accept the humorless and super-rigid totalitarian Big Brother future of control, humiliation and surveillance.

Yup, and the baggage handlers and other personnel are part of the very lucrative drug trade which keeps getting traced back to politicians and black projects….

www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I hope so too. But must do as conscience dictates.

What else are we really here for when all is said and done?

Only to be kind to each other. Simple.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Aye, it's such a farce. If somebody wanted to smuggle a device onto a plane it would be ridiculously easy and no airport security in the world could stop them.

It's another reason why I find all this terror fear so absurd, if the terrorists really wanted to be blowing up lots of planes, we'd be seeing them falling out of the sky on a regular basis.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

So as I feared this has been moved to GA. Then again, mR. H.H. IS near the top so maybe if I can convince people that good is evil and evil is good this thread may have a sporting chance.

Okay , back to the topic:

This thread was never meant to be a eureka moment or anything brand new or even a complaint. I am merely
sharing info I know to be true , perhaps because I want people to know the truth and question this unreasonable power tripping hypocritical vain selfish stupid fascist crap. I am not in any way shape or form paranoid,delusional,lying to strengthen my case,spreading disinformation----you name it.
I have nothing to gain but harassment and a knock on my door from whomever. Weighing that against
the possibility that maybe,just maybe, others will see this and come forward to share corroborating information that most don't know in order to spread that truth I have to say I will deal with that knock and whatever else. To me it is worth it. So if anyone out there can add to this we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks to All

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm going to check out your info as soon as I get my cousin on the schoolbus. I've read quite a few of your posts in the past and I admire your convictions. Thanks for the link , I'm sure it will be interesting.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

I bet this isn't the case on Israeli airlines, no sir. The people that clean and service the planes going unchecked and unsupervised? In the rest of the world, a scandal or a tragedy in the making. In Israel, pure fantasy, as they probably cavity search the pizza delivery guy.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Airline companies should sue the TSA for ruining the whole airport experience.

Clients being treated first hand like criminals are not good for business.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

bangoli
reply to post by boncho

I'm going to check out your info as soon as I get my cousin on the schoolbus. I've read quite a few of your posts in the past and I admire your convictions. Thanks for the link , I'm sure it will be interesting.

That info only shows the operation within the airpots.

Now link it to:

www.theguardian.com...

and this kind of thing:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

And it starts to paint a clearer picture. But this is all superficial, there is plenty more information out there with a very determined look.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I work at an airport and what most of that employee told you is true, but as an airline worker with access to the ramp area and aircraft cabins/cockpit, I can tell you the background check is very extensive ( Do you actually think the background checks are lax? not pointed at op, just a general saying) and we have to reapply for a badge and customs seal every 2 years along with another background check. The badges are not just plastic badges they are equipped with a chip that will opened doors as long as your hand print matches your hand to the door machine. meaning you need both the right hand print and the right badge to open doors. The badging office has the ability to shut the badge off when ever it needs to be, like when they expire every 2 years or you get fired or suspended, and you will not get in at all... badges are swiped at every single entrance for employees where a security guard is present or a camera is watching.

As for no cameras, there are cameras hidden all over the airport and ramp area and all access doors and gates to the secured side of the airport, just because the cleaners don't see them doesn't mean they are there.. I see them every day. These cameras are monitored also, some times idiot employees will let family members through security doors and the cops are there within seconds, and they know who you are because you swiped your badge to open the door.

also I'd like to add that the cleaner who said security was not her job, The faa is always conducting test where they are not badged and walking around the airport ramp area ( along with a number of other tests) and it is our job to confront them and believe me we do all the time, if they are not confronted by someone within a few mins the airline is fined.

Also something the cleaning person probably doesn't know is every aircraft that sits over night at the airport ( at the gate, aircraft from the hanger, or sitting on a pad not connected to a gate) has a security check before they flight is loaded with passengers, that is all panels on outside of aircraft is opened and checked for anything unusual and the inside of the aircraft is checked seat back pockets, every compartment, seat cushions are lifted and checked underneath. If something is on the aircraft that shouldn't be, its found.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ragnarokkr

First I want to apologize for leaving my thread dormant for so long. My internet service hasn't been functioning
for the last 4-5 days even though bill was paid two weeks ago I could get no other info except "it may take three business days to fix, etc." hmmmmm....rather strange imo.

Now for my reply. Since this is the gray area I can't just say you are exaggerating because really I don't know, but my instincts tell me just a little? I didn't mean to say that the background checks are lax per se....only in a relative sense to other jobs that require more extensive checks yet allow an employee access to material or areas that are far less sensitive and potentially dangerous in nature.

I am sure there are cameras everywhere. Yes , the interviewee's badge contains a chip. Though nowhere is she required to provide any sort of clearance through the use of her palm,iris,etc. or even a visual check by airport security to even know on any level that she is who her badge says she is. Once that badge clears her into the employee lot via RFID reader she is never checked again. Because of the sensitive nature of the information given during during the interview there were things I did not include such as persistent drug use during work by co-workers, co-workers having sexual relations on many occasions inside the aircraft and elsewhere ,etc. Another reason I left these things out is that the entire point of this thread isn't fear mongering or to convince anyone to think twice before boarding a plane because of physical danger.

The point is that the people of the United States are being put through a horrible, demeaning, and undignified process that is clearly NOT for reasons of safety. My personal beliefs on the reasons are that it is done for social engineering purposes to get people used to the idea that being searched and needing to provide papers everywhere you go is the norm, is on any level OKAY AND ACCEPTABLE, etc. I may sound a bit paranoid on this next one but you never know what the long term effects are from going through those machines. I have a friend with muscular dystrophy accompany me on a flight recently. He is unable to lift his arms over his head because of the damage to his shoulders. He was treated in the most embarrassing, hostile , and undignified manner after both of us had calmly explained the nature of his condition along with a letter from his MD. He said he will never fly again and I expect I would feel the same way . I am not really worried about someone crashing a plane or hurting passengers. I am just sick and tired (the understatement of the century) of the practices not only concerning TSA, but law enforcement everywhere. At the current moment it has already gone above and beyond a minor hassle to a monster that needs to be stopped and to stop it, at least at the airport, people need to opt out of that scanner regardless of what the unknown passerby thinks. I also think courses in human rights,civil rights,your personal protections and freedoms that are afforded to you through the constitution, etc. should be a required part of any highschool curriculum and must be a part of graduation standards. Young people are being sent out into the world without even the tiniest bit of knowledge with which to arm themselves against corrupt officials anywhere within the system and it is a travesty. Parents should ensure that their children know their rights and ask questions when being being asked (TOLD) what to do . Unfortunately this doesn't happen as it should. I was floored when the first reports about Snowden came out. I couldn't believe how many people didn't know what the NSA is or what they do. Absolutely gobsmacked. But I digress.

It makes no sense to have security extra tight where it needn't be and extra loose where it absolutely should be, if in fact SECURITY is the reason for this whole sordid song and dance. Ergo security has nothing to do with it. What I want to know is, in precise and all encompassing detail, just exactly WHAT this is for.....even though I know part of the answer already. If anyone has any personal experience with TSA or behind the scenes airport info that they want to contribute please do so. Or any relevant info concerning this topic. All are welcome and much appreciated. Thank You All.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Ragnarokkr
I work at an airport and what most of that employee told you is true, but as an airline worker with access to the ramp area and aircraft cabins/cockpit, I can tell you the background check is very extensive

Can you describe the background check? I'm familiar with the USPS investigation, we'll see if it's more extensive like the OP's friend said.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What about that thing where you spend like an extra $100 to avoid going through security for the high-rollers? I remember seeing advertisements for those before and when I saw that I thought "that defeats the purpose of having the TSA".

Where are the terrorists? There are maybe a few but too few to really consider pouring billions into a grope system that doesn't even divide male and female. Even when this is implemented there are so many workarounds this system and then they have the nerve to say the system works. No, it doesn't. In fact, if a terrorist wanted to scare anyone it would be before the checkpoint or at the checkpoint. That's why in other countries you have basic security when you enter, with guards patrolling the line, and then a second checkpoint that goes through your stuff more thoroughly.

IMO if you want to be safe, you should give every adult a taser when they board the airplane. If there's a terrorist with a gun, he'll have to ward off an airplane full of taser carrying citizens. After the trip, everyone would go through and sign off the taser. Anyone that misuses the taser would be treated as a terrorist. Simple as that.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

There's no exaggeration on my part, not even a little.( I would like to know what part you think I might be exaggerating, maybe I can explain better).. I’m only an airline mechanic that has been in the industry for 20 years, so I see this every day. You don’t think maybe the custodial person is exaggerating a little? I do know, at least at the airport I work at every entrance to the secured area of the airport either has a badge swipe machine that you then have to put your palm on to open doors, or your badge is swiped at a machine that lets a guard know its active with a visual check. I can assume different airports are run differently or have different security clearances/devices. I do work at a large international airport and major airline so maybe that is why I go through a more security sensitive clearances and checks, probably more so than let’s say a small airport like TYR or BRO. I do believe that all airports should have the same exact security checks across the board, and I’m sure that’s not the case.

I do agree with your interviewee about the drug use and sexual behaviors, as these can and do happen at most work places. I've witnessed plenty of drug stings and theft sings in the 20 years I've been in this business. I also agree with you on the TSA part of thread, I read the same horrid stories in the paper as you do. It’s my belief that they are in need of basic common sense, because they are lacking.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I’ve never heard of the USPS background check, but I can explain how the background check was for me. After 9/11 the FAA required all airline workers and airport workers to undergo fingerprints, the FBI runs criminal checks looking for felonies, any worker whose found to have certain felonies lose their jobs, 10 years residence check, they want a list of tattoos, scars, alias’s, they run our driver’s license and search for wants or warrants . If they run other stuff I'n not sure about, but these list are what I know they check for. This is just for the secured area badge, the customs seal which most airline workers need, if they have access to international flights, I’m not sure about. The badges expire after 2 years and to have it reinstated they redo all these checks.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I think you paid the 100 and agreed to a background check I'm not sure how extensive though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join