It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Analyst Tries To Sell Secrets To Russians, Fails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

FORT MEADE, MD — His financial stability rocked by furloughs, overtime cuts and stagnant promotions, NSA Senior Analyst Eric Delhugh was having trouble paying his bills. He considered himself a patriotic American but Delhugh was desperate.

He decided to sell secrets to a foreign government but was shocked to find no one was interested.

NSA Analyst Tries To Sell Secrets To Russians, Fails

Search engine has failed me more than helped me, so I apologize if this has already been posted.

Also, mods, not sure where to post so please move as necessary....

Okay, now down to brass tacks. This story didn't surprise me one bit. First of all, what idiot post-1990's goes to a PAY PHONE to try to sell government secrets? I guarantee no one was interested because they probably thought it was a scam....

Now, what does surprise me.....

Delhugh is still with NSA and is working a second job at the Burger King in Laurel, MD. When asked what he gained from the experience, he said, “gained from all this? I don’t know, maybe five pounds from the French fries.”

Om*g....really??? As if the government didn't have enough problems on it's plate, it has continued to let this guy stay at the NSA? Are you freakin' serious???? I'm not sure I buy that as legitimate...not in any "classified" work I have ever done or been privy to.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

sorry to burst your bubble but it is satire not to be taken as real news but on the lighter side from your link

A Brief History
Since 1797, The Duffel Blog has been serving the men and women of the American military with insightful commentary and hard-hitting journalism. While other agencies have sometimes run from possibly scandalous stories, TDB has been known to be edgy and ahead of its time, almost as if they could see into the future. After reporting on President John Adams’ $200 per week coc aine habit in March 1799, TDB was named The American Military’s Most-Trusted News Source by the Columbia Journalism Review and the nickname stuck.
The Duffel Blog is sometimes referred to as “The military version of The Onion,” but this is a popular misconception. The misnomer was cleared up in May 2012 when TDB staff successfully conducted an airborne assault on the offices of The Onion News Network so that others would know “The Onion was actually the civilian version of The Duffel Blog.”
The Duffel Blog was nominated for The Pulitzer Prize in 2012 “for continued excellence in journalism,” and has been recognized as a world leader in modern media by other, unworthy news outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, National Public Radio, The Military Times, NBC News, Gizmodo, USA Today, and Business Insider.

Read more: www.duffelblog.com...
joke is on you
edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201330 by bekod because: line edit

link   
Is this an onion article? Burger king? Edit. Military -Grade onion.
edit on 30-10-2013 by dashen because: (no reason given)

link   

Something about this story stinks......HOAX......Maybe.........I don't know.

I would be very shocked if this story is legit in any way. I say it is a fairytale.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

You'd think that something like this would be of bigger news and in major sources. However, a news.google.com search comes up with blogs and I have a heart distrust of blogs as a news source. Not that it wouldn't surprise me as we have had issues within intelligence and military agencies in terms of espionage in the past. The one thing that I really question about this particular article is that the claim is that Delhugh is still working for the NSA after being caught. If you know somebody is willing to commit espionage, would you keep them in their position?

Other oddities? A senior analyst working at Burger King? Really? And being warned by FBI to stay away from Disney? Honestly, it reads more like satire than reality.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

The misnomer was cleared up in May 2012 when TDB staff successfully conducted an airborne assault on the offices of The Onion News Network so that others would know “The Onion was actually the civilian version of The Duffel Blog.”

Didn't you read that wonderful piece of journalistic review? lol

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

dashen

I wonder how many flags this thread will get from people who want to believe so bad they are willing to look past the obvious issues with it?

So much crap these days I am going to have to get a bigger shovel.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

dashen

Yep. Looking at the main page actually proves its a military grade satire site. Other article titles are "Bashar Al-Assad to Receive Nobel Peace Prize", "WWII Veterans Storm DC Memorial, Take Park Rangers as Prisoners of War", and "Navy Chief Indoctrination Culminates in Human Sacrifice".

If the Duffel Blog isn't a satire site, then the world truly is going to hell in a hand basket...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

yes is was a slaughter the Onion crew was overwhelmed by the airborne troopers using mustard and ketchup bombs as they made their way through the offices, the onion staff was using staples guns and paper clip autoloaders till they ran out of ammo. the last of the defenders was put to death by the mass use of copy ink grenades.
edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201330 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You do realize that it is a spoof story from a satire website?

The Duffel Blog is an American military news satire organization featuring satirical articles reporting on US military news. It is often described as "the military version of The Onion."[1] It was founded in March 2012 by Marine veteran Paul Szoldra, originally as a way to drive web traffic to his website CollegeVeteran.com.[2] It eventually branched out and became its own entertainment website.[3] The blog has more than 55,000 fans on Facebook and about 3,000 Twitter followers.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

SubTruth

dashen

I wonder how many flags this thread will get from people who want to believe so bad they are willing to look past the obvious issues with it?

So much crap these days I am going to have to get a bigger shovel.

Yeah, no kidding. 5 flags so far. I wonder how many are going to recall the story of the NSA senior analyst who tried to sell NSA secrets while sidelining at Burger King for the rest of their days. It seems that a lot of people just don't check the source or read the article all the way through in a critical mindset. They just react. I think it probably has something to do with not feeling like one has enough time in the day but if one doesn't have time to do those little steps to verify the authenticity of something, then maybe one shouldn't be so quick to share it until one can make the time to do so.

Considering how many of these satire stories get picked up as real, I swear they should be legally required to make a disclaimer statement in bold at the top that says "SATIRE--NOT REAL" and it would have to be at the top because people tend to miss the heavy satire cues at the bottom. I wonder what kind of responses we would get if we posted the Bashar al-Assad story.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Not really "bursting my bubble..."
I already said I didn't think it was legit. However, thanks for the clarification. I don't typically spend the day reading blogs and I don't do social media (for obvious reasons). I was directed to the article from a legitimate mainstream news site. Clearly now it is or was an advertisement link ( ? ) but it didn't appear that way on the site.

top topics

join