It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Yorkers being profiled after shopping. Cops check items against receipts.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

And I do appreciate the "other side of the coin" if you will. Different perspectives often make for a more clear picture and thus are important to how we perceive things, so on that end I do thank you. I was just trying to point out that your perceptions vs. an Americans are going to have at least a slight cultural slant. You don't have to worry, often, that the police in your town are going to unload a couple of magazines in your direction as they play out a scene from Call of Duty while attempting to apprehend someone(something that also happened in NYC where they fired at the suspect, missed him entirely yet managed to produce several civilian casualties). Profiling bothers me in every way. Whether its based on race or facial hair or tattoos is irrelevant. I know more doctoral candidates and professors with full sleeves of ink than I do musicians and if dressed in "business attire" nobody bats an eye, walk outside in a T-shirt and it's like you're a totally different person than the last time you interacted with these same people. This has happened to me personally in restaurants where all of a sudden a table I reserved a week prior is somehow not available. If I go to the ER I'm listed as a "drug seeker" despite walking in with my military file, MRI's X-rays etc. to show a history of severe injuries. the list could go on forever, but irregardless of my appearance I'm still an American citizen and unless DHS passed something in the dark of night I should be free of these unethical slants and certainly I should be free of any violations of my 4th or 5th amendment rights. It's a civil liberties issue, to me at least, not a matter of the police just doing their jobs. Again though, I didn't want to seem like I was just brushing off your comments as they have merit. It's just a little different dynamic across the ole pond.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

This is a Macy's in New York. The guy is walking out of the store and it isn't a matter of here's the receipt, they checked his receipt against every item in his two bags. They looked through his bags/made him take the stuff he bought out. No crime was committed except the illegal search.

I understand what you were saying, but this is a different kind of situation, i think.
edit on 28-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 28-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

rangerdanger
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

What's the big deal? The door greeters at Wal-Mart check my receipt every time I leave. Doesn't mean it's profiling.

Hmmm, maybe I should sue wal-mart for profiling me. Seeing as I'm Caucasian and it was a African American who pulled me over to look at my receipt, right after she just saw me at the register. If that isn't profiling, I don't know what is. Obviously I can't leave the register unless the item is paid for. Like, duh..........

edit on 28-10-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

alldaylong

This, along with many other threads about what is going on over there, it sounds like The US is turning into Hell.

That actually sent a chill down my spine.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

It is, not even a handbasket.

If you have purchased the items they are no longer the stores property but the purchaser and checking receipts against items is a clear 4th amendment violation.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Well, NYC just keeps voting for the nazi democrats - what do they expect? This is obviously, what they want.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

clearly they do not have enough criminals ( that then can catch anyways)...so to increase the slave labour camps they need to make some more criminals...think of it like the glass window business..not enough business you pay people to go round smashing windows in your local area to drum up work....

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Well here in South Africa where whites are a minority,there are clothing chains where a security staff member will Always check purchases against receipt,it's just their policy.I have'nt taken time to notice if they check the parcels of whites more rigorously than other groups,but I think usually that would not be the case-a clothing chain I worked for decades ago, would send "mystery customers"-people from head office posing as customers to gauge the efficacy+customer care level of all their stores+emplyees,I would bet most large chains do this.
So if certain groups were favored,any truly proffessional and customer care-driven chain would pick up this practice sooner or later,and act on it.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

those aren't cops. shop staff checking receipts isn't a big deal. the fact that cops are stopping shoppers, ostensibly to check their purchases, is. it's none of their business. theft is, but this isn't apprehending or questioning thieves or even suspected thieves. it's merely YET ANOTHER example of citizens being required to abandon all and any presumed personal freedoms without question. more 'we say, you do' power tripping.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

grey580

Macy's doesn't call the cops unless they catch you. And legally speaking they can't stop you unless they have very good evidence that you are in fact stealing.

This right here, a local wal-mart had people backed up in a line across the store the last weekend, checking every single shopping cart. I walked around the line and out the door. One of the workers tried to stop me. I said rather loudly, to the point where the customers waiting could hear, that unless they specifically witnessed me stealing an item I do not give them permission to search through my personal property. The sheriff deputy who was doing security at the time nodded in agreement and told her I was correct.

After this you could tell the other customers were upset, and all followed suit walking out. Bunch of lemmings i tell ya...

edit on 29-10-2013 by overratedpatriotism because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by overratedpatriotism

Yes this is actually true in the US. You do not have to let them
check your bags, I honestly would find that a bit awkward, its
none of their bees wax what kind of undies i bought, or that i
bought for my significant other..... that's between me, the cashier
and my significant other, i even dislike the cashier part to be
honest, i am a very private person.

They have never tried to pull the check your receipt thing at ours
unless you set the door alarm off, then they *might* check you.
I honestly cant believe so many have let them do this no questions
asked... wow.
edit on 29-10-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by grey580

Then that would lead me to believe the cops are taking it upon themselves. That wouldn't explain why these officers told the man he was stopped because they lost him on camera. That means either Macey's is involved or the cops lied (a lie that still doesn't suffice in justifying their illegal search.

It is wholly possible that the cops are off duty working for Macy's.
I don't know the particulars for how a New York Macy's would run it's LP dept.

But that's not how I've been told Macy's in south florida were run.

Procedure is to keep a visual with a camera or by an LP. Once a customer tries to leave a store with merchandise. They are stopped outside. Then they are taken to Macy's holding to wait for a officer to show up. Macy's will prosecute thefts over 300 dollars.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I know they have cops stationed at Best Buy and their on duty. I actually feel bad for them. They must have did something to make the commander mad. That's probably got to be the most boring job, standing around doing nothing.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

If anyone has an issue with being asked for a receipt, then simply don't shop at that store, and tell your friends and family to do the same. As someone previously mentioned, every one in a while I will have someone at Walmart ask to see my receipt on the way out and I just politely walk past and say no. The only store that I frequent that checks receipts is BJs wholesale club, and since most items are in bulk quantities and loose in my cart, I have no issue with that.

Personally, if I were stopped by the police after exiting a store and asked to see my receipt, I would turn right around and return the merchandise and I would also try to film the search stating that it was for my protection.

SM2

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Diabolical

rangerdanger

What's the big deal? The door greeters at Wal-Mart check my receipt every time I leave. Doesn't mean it's profiling.

Hmmm, maybe I should sue wal-mart for profiling me. Seeing as I'm Caucasian and it was a African American who pulled me over to look at my receipt, right after she just saw me at the register. If that isn't profiling, I don't know what is. Obviously I can't leave the register unless the item is paid for. Like, duh..........

edit on 28-10-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

Maybe you should. Several people have and won. Many states have specific laws against stores doing that. They can only demand to see your receipt if they have physically witnessed you stealing something. Even then, they can only hold you and wait for police to arrive and do the actual search. That's according to state law in several states, however, stores dont pay much attention to it until you call them on it. Wal mart told me that checking receipts was corporate policy. Needless to say we got into a discussion on how company policy can not break the law. Sam's club, B.J's etc are exempt from that however, because you agree to the search in the membership agreement.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

Hmm.... It's too late now. But, next time I'll refuse.
I'll tell them..."Where's your search warrant?"
I never knew that before. I know where I work, we are not allowed to stop anybody, even if they steal. Adrenaline does kick in though.
And some can be so slick about it too.

Even my sister told me what you said after we left the department store. I always thought it was policy.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by VforVendettea

Well, NYC just keeps voting for the nazi democrats - what do they expect? This is obviously, what they want.

Does one of these elected Democrats own the store? Well which is it? Are the Democrats Nazis or Communist seeing how the TP'ers cry both. Go get someone the explain the difference between the two to you.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

Out of curiosity, what does my original post have to do with the Posse Comitaus Act? I have seen worst posts on the subject matter, then mine on here. I don't see how that would have of started a riot considering the topic is opposite of mine. But, hey I understand you are just trying to keep the peace.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Prince of Bel Air comes to mind....

Anyone can be rich!

Not me though, as I am a scientist.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join