It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OS X Mavericks Meltdown!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Today has been one of those days.

I went to install OS X Mavericks because I was really looking forward to new updates to my laptop. It popped up in my update window today so I backed up my entire hard drive and got the process rolling.

Start the clock...
After a roughly 5 GB or so download the computer turned off and began to reboot into the install software. After about fifteen minutes this message pops up and says the installation has failed and the drive needs to be cleared and a new install needs to be performed or a backup needs to be restored.

Restart the clock...
The next logical course of action is to attempt a repair, which doesn't work. So the next option is to restore the previously mentioned backup.

So the restore software begins to restore the disk from my external hard drive and it's all going according to plan b. Then, thirty seconds later, it fails and tells me the backup drive has been corrupted.

Counting losses...
Luckily I have a lot of my important stuff backed up to various cloud services, but I lost a lot of data today. Thousands of photos, many hours of music, a handful of movies from travels, hundreds of documents, and innumerable hours of work on various projects.

Basically today ended up sucking really bad. I can't say whether or not this is a bigger issue or if it's just something that's unique to me, but I certainly hope nobody else has to deal with this!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I always make two seperate backups to different hard drives when I do mine on a regular basis.
Reason being I have had one being corrupt as you had and had to install everything from scratch which seems to take ages, so never again.
Bit late for yourself but just a thought for future use...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
or simply stop being an apple [SNIPPED] and get a windows pc

edit on Sat Oct 26 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Alda1981

Wrabbit would disagree though his upgrade wasn't as bad
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and I'd wary of future updates security wise

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Oh man, good thing I read this. I had no idea that updating your computer would prevent you from using it while it was doing it! Roboots? Man I'm going to ubuntu.

I hear ubuntu 15 is really smoooooth and you don't even need to turn it on!

I prefer windows 95 too. It was so much faster than all this bloat ware, and never once rebooted during install.

I HAVE GONE COMPLETELY MENTAL.

hahahaha Isn't Macos now free?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Alda1981

I had forgotten to time my pc after using wol to turn it on this morning. 15 seconds? something ridiculous. I know it does a hybrid shut down, but it's just a lot better than how it used to be.

I'm going to get a reuptation around here.. some sort of tosser who never contributes to anything. I had better watch my step.

*grin*

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

My Windows 7 PC boots in around 10-15 seconds thanks to Solid State Drives, and the new instant BIOS's. I don't even get to see the full Windows animation on load-up because Windows boots so fast.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Wonderful thought, in the future I'll definitely do that. I never quite expected the massive failure that happened today. it also just so happens that my phone is about to die as well. It's got a bad battery cell so that once voltage hits a certain point it just dies, regardless of the indicted percentage.

It's been a rough day tech wise!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

That's my plan. I'll be building a desktop next. It'll run Windows 8 and Ubuntu. As I said in another post, I do have an iPhone and it'd dying too, for another reason. It'll be replaced with something else.

Right now I'm using an ages old HP Mini Netbook running Ubuntu! It's been a faithful little PC and here it is again. I couldn't quite get rid of my PC roots, I had doubts about switching completely to Mac.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well first off, I knew full well it would require reboots. I've been fixing and repairing computer's for years, so I knew this came with risk; but I didn't expect it to destroy my backup disk as well.

And, I'm running Ubuntu right now on this backup computer, and it's running just fine. Though, I've been using this exclusively for ham radio software for about a year now... So I've got to reconfigure certain bits of it.

You liked 95? I've always felt like 98SE was the best. It froze and crashed enough that it felt new every day, and it was exciting. Comparable to living in a dunking booth and not knowing when it'd send you into the icy waters of a blue screen.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Mapkar
I've always felt like 98SE was the best.

Yes, the best versions of Windows thus far have been 98SE, XP, and 7. All other versions are/were garbage.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I really do like windows 7 though, I've always felt the clean look was very functional and classy. OS X tries to be pretty, but comes off as utilitarian and mechanical as anything can be. The one thing it has going for it is the universal menu bar that's the same for all apps in the same place on the screen.

I do like my taskbar though. And my fully armed and fully operational maximize button!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Honestly I believe it is irrelevant what operating system you utilize. In the end it comes down to how the user operates the tools they are provided with.

If you're the tech savy type that is going to use all the extra things with your operating system, then it doesn't matter which you have or use because you're going to use that specific one to its maximum extent.

That being said, Mac OS is garbage. I have an extreme dislike for all apple products for their limited shelf life as well as their non PnP hardware.

I prefer windows over everything else, because it is easy to manipulate to your liking. Not to mention I can upgrade my pc part by part as I see fit, rather than going out every two months to buy a new computer.

I'm not even going to touch the I-Phone.

top topics

join