It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Possible Explanation for Mysterious Hum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I thought that this story was pretty interesting and wondered if the theory posited here might be a possible explanation of some of the humming sounds that people are hearing.

Mysterious hum keeping people up all night ‘could be mating fish’

The noise “pulsates” through homes, forcing some residents of Hythe near Southampton to evacuate the area just to get a good night’s sleep. People have complained to their local council, and the blame has been put on everything from heavy industry to the large cargo ships coming in at Southampton Docks – some residents have even gone to the doctor thinking they had tinnitus. Scientists now think that the noise is being caused by fish, competing to out-hum one another as part of an unusual mating ritual.

Male Midshipman fish let out a deep, resonating drone which attracts females and acts as a challenge to other males. They are nocturnal creatures, but once they get going can keep up the distracting hum all night. Unfortunately for the residents of Hythe, the noise created by the Midshipman is of such a low frequency and long wavelength that it can carry through the ground, walls, and into homes.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I live as far from the sea as it's possible to be in the UK and have heard these noises once. It would also have to have been a blimp sized fish in the sky, or rather two.. thanks for sharing your theory but it doesn't work for me

The wind farm theory doesnt hold water for me either, there are none anywhere near me. I'm still stumped, but lean towards something geological or some cosmic/electromagnetic/astro type phenomena.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I believe that there is more than one type of noise being heard and there are different causes in different locations.
This one seemed like a plausible explanation for regions where these fish are known to produce a low frequency tone that can carry through the ground and into structures.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

This explination just sounds "too fishy" to me.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Soooo...

People are just hearing fish doing it?

hahaha

That is my favorite explanation yet
Maybe just knock on the wall and tell them to keep it down?
edit on 24-10-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Lol
I don't think they are hearing the fish "do it".
But they might be hearing fishy foreplay.

Quick...somebody make an Aquaman joke!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good theory, but doesn't explain the noise in areas not near water. Sometimes i wonder why everything has to have a logical explanation. Leave some things to the imagination

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think its their much bigger haarp like technology that they have in their underground bases.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I've heard "the hum" since I was a child.

When I've travelled, I've not heard it, except for the odd place here and there.

I've done a lot of research in to it and can discount fish/underground bases/machinery etc etc

After looking into the Solfeggio Scale and listening to a few "songs" I came across the Schumann resonance.

Which after listening to it sounds exactly like a speeded up version of what I hear every night.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You could go out on a limb and say the hum is ULF waves being generated electronically, and that the scientific explanation is a cover and very 'fishy'. Maybe the RN is playing the HAARP, after all that's what HAARP is about, officially.
Southhampton docks are visited frequently by RN subs, in fact the recent shootings by a submariner were at Southhampton docks, that's a 'fishy' story too.

Southhampton is also only 19 miles from Haylin Island, that had substantial wind damage over last weekend. The wind lasted only about 45 seconds, but damaged cars, buildings and uprooted trees. No one seems to be able to make up their minds as whether it was a Tornado, or category 2 cyclone with windspeeds over 80mph, although there was some squally weather around at the time, but not severe. But one eyewitness report was strange, the witness said he saw a "Grey Wall of water" come in off the beach, he didn't say Tornado or Waterspout. That is unusual.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Serdgiam
Soooo...

hahaha

since when do fish hum?
cached.newslookup.com...
edit on 123131p://bThursday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

Serdgiam
Soooo...

hahaha

since when do fish hum?

Either when looking for El Nookie, or when they haven't washed their feet!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I agree, its more of a moaning and groaning with grunts thrown in for good measure.

But, these are "scientists" we are talking about! They dont know much about the topic outside of objective data gathering and case studies. To them, it might as well be a "hum." They probably think all the moaning and groaning is because of a fight, where the person on top is obviously "winning."

On a more serious note, aquatic life actually makes a plethora of different and amazing noises.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

If you look up "The Hum" on wiki
you get this as one possibility

Colliding ocean waves

On early June, 2008 an article published in Proceedings of the Royal Society[38] announced the location of a "hum hotspot", an "energetic source area stretching from the Labrador Sea to south of Iceland, where wind patterns are especially conducive to generating oppositely traveling waves of same period, and the ocean depth is favourable for efficient microseism generation through the ‘organ pipe’ resonance of the compression waves."[39] Researchers from the USArray Earthscope have tracked down a series of infrasonic humming noises produced by waves crashing together and thence into the ocean floor, off the North-West coast of the USA. Potentially, sound from these collisions could travel to many parts of the globe.[40][41]

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

That's interesting, I wonder if the local scientists here had considered that as well, there doesn't seem to be any mention.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

They might have...
but a story about fish foreplay will sell more news papers right?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think this has been posted before

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks, Phoenix.
Same fish, different location.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I heard it one morning in North Dakota, which is the geographical centre of North America -- it's as far as you can get from any ocean in the continent, so it was definitely not a fish

I'm pretty sure that what I heard that morning, and what many people are hearing, was a train, with the sound being distorted by unusually high humidity at the time.

new topics

top topics

join