It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn you calves!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So disappointed.

I bought a nice pair of red leather vintage, 1970's, Etienne Aigner riding boots. I have wanted these for YEARS but could never find them in my size, til NOW. I found them on Etsy for a fraction of what most other shops were charging. I paid less than $30 for them where other shops wanted $100 so not only was I paying less I actually got my size after years of hunting Ebay and Etsy.

Well I waited all week to get them and they came today. I get them out of the box and they are LOVELY, immaculate and they even come with inserts for the boots. I go to put them on and my calves are too damn big! I have muscular calves, always have. They aren't overly muscular but they aren't flat either. I've had similar problems in the past with boots but these have such a big top I didn't see it being a problem. Well I was wrong. I am sitting here with my beloved boots and I can't even wear them.
It's sad enough my feet grew slightly while pregnant that i can't even wear my Manolo Blahnik's which I don't even want to think about!! I'm going to have those stretched too.

I am hoping that the shoe smith who works on my Manolo's can do something to these to make them my size in the calf area. Maybe stretch the leather? I don't know. It wouldn't need to be done by much so hopefully all isn't lost.

So like before I will just admire them....I had the cutest outfit picked out to wear them to the Pumpkin Patch with my son.

DAMN YOU CALVES!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Bummer. And nice boots. I have a suggestion, one that's helped me in similar situations. I was thinking that since our feet always swell a little throughout the day that perhaps if you were to wear them in the early mornings for a couple of hours they might stretch naturally. Sort of break them in that way?

Oh and having a baby usually makes your feet grow half a size larger. How's the little one doing, btw?
edit on 18-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm an old school type.
I actually like a lady in a pair of sexy shoes.

Nice boots.

Sorry they don't fit.

If they are real leather you might be able to stretch them out a bit. Depends on how good the stitching at the seam is on the back and how determined you are to actually wear them.

You will need 2 pieces of round wood that fit tightly into the tops down to about the bottom of the calf.
You have to split the wood in half and put shims between the pieces. Keep them in a humid area and add shims every few days until they fit. They used to do this very commonly with an item called a shoe stretcher.
They stored the shoes with the stretcher in place so the leather didn't shrink back up.

edit on 18-10-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

My sister has this problem. I do not. Considering she and I share the same genetics, the core difference between her and I is that I stretch my calves an obscene amount as my Achilles tendons are prone to shortening. As a tippy toe autist, I should have bulky calf muscles because I'm always on the balls of my feet. I don't. My best guess as to why is that I do the "against the wall" calf stretch where I have one knee bent and the other leg out straight behind me, bringing the heel down to the floor a few times a day to keep that tendon long.

There's always Pilates, too. Don't let those boots go to waste!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

aboutface
Bummer. And nice boots. I have a suggestion, one that's helped me in similar situations. I was thinking that since our feet always swell a little throughout the day that perhaps if you were to wear them in the early mornings for a couple of hours they might stretch naturally. Sort of break them in that way?

Oh and having a baby usually makes your feet grow half a size larger. How's the little one doing, btw?
edit on 18-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

They fit my feet just fine it's my calves they don't. I can get them on just not over my calves.
If they were slouch boots they'd fit just right lol but they aren't.

He is doing great!! He is eating food now, which I make of course from scratch. He seems to love it!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

badgerprints
I'm an old school type.

Nice boots.

Sorry they don't fit.

If they are real leather you might be able to stretch them out a bit. Depends on how good the stitching at the seam is on the back and how determined you are to actually wear them.

You will need 2 pieces of round wood that fit tightly into the tops down to about the bottom of the calf.
You have to split the wood in half and put shims between the pieces. Keep them in a humid area and add shims every few days until they fit. They used to do this very commonly with an item called a shoe stretcher.
They stored the shoes with the stretcher in place so the leather didn't shrink back up.

OH I would love to stretch them out! The leather which is real, is pretty heavy and I'm not sure about the seams. I will be taking them on Monday to my shoe guy and seeing if he can do something to speed up the process. If not then I'll do the old fashioned method.

I am determined to wear these! I love boots and all my other boots are stiletto style which I can't wear much anymore due to my back and well I don't want to wear heels while hauling a baby around now lol. These would have been the perfect every day boot!

Determined!!

Thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Oh no! That sucks! I don't know what to do.

Those sure are cute, though.

I know you said yours was a muscle size related issue but I have to tell this story. lol One of my old good friends had enormous cankles and calves. She hated it because she was like 110 lbs at a size 2. But for some reason, all of her weight went to her ankle/calves area while you could wrap a lifesaver around the rest of her small frame.

She eventually had lipo in the area and start some hormonal treatment. She was happy to wear boots after that though!

Sorry- your thread reminded me of her experience. lol

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

My sister has this problem. I do not. Considering she and I share the same genetics, the core difference between her and I is that I stretch my calves an obscene amount as my Achilles tendons are prone to shortening. As a tippy toe autist, I should have bulky calf muscles because I'm always on the balls of my feet. I don't. My best guess as to why is that I do the "against the wall" calf stretch where I have one knee bent and the other leg out straight behind me, bringing the heel down to the floor a few times a day to keep that tendon long.

There's always Pilates, too. Don't let those boots go to waste!

I was a runner and did dance for years and I have always had problems with my calves and thighs fitting into clothes and even my arms at times. It really drives me nuts!! I have a naturally athletic build, thanks to my dad, and while I thank him for it I also curse him at times! It really is a pain to have something like boots not fit because you have shape to your legs! It's not like i have insane body builder calves. I haven't even really done any working out in a couple years yet my calves are still in their muscular form. I honestly wish they would just go away! This is the first pair of boots in YEARS that I have had not fit me. It just really sucks it's these boots.

Oh I want to do Pilates. I have the Wii and was told if I got the Wii Fit I can do Pilates on it. I am not really into going out in a public place to do such a thing and with my son I don't have the option of just leaving him at home so home Pilates is the best option I have. I've never done Pilates, do I need that ball or no?

I will find a way to get these stretched!! They wouldn't need to be stretched all that much either just a little.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I thought you were supposed to wrap em, and put em in the oven for a little bit.. At least that's what I did with my baseball glove...

jk I don't have a baseball glove..

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

LOL that's ok. Well I feel her pain, even if hers was a cankle issue and glad to hear she was able to get it taken care of and can wear boots with pride!

I love boots and it always upsets me when I can't wear a pair because of my calves. I think these will be just fine once they are stretched. They are kind of stiff so I don't think they've really been worn in a while, they are probably as old as I am lol but they are in such great shape and I love that they came with inserts!

I just called my shoe smith here and he can stretch them. He will have to see me and the boots so I am taking them up there Monday when I don't have my son. My mom is watching him Monday so I can go clothes shopping. Yay! First things first, have my boots stretched!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

rangerdanger
I thought you were supposed to wrap em, and put em in the oven for a little bit.. At least that's what I did with my baseball glove...

jk I don't have a baseball glove..

HAHA hey don't try me!

I just might get desperate over the weekend and try

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Good luck! I'd cry if I couldn't wear my boots.

And those sure are cute!! Nice find.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

badgerprints
I'm an old school type.

Nice boots.

Sorry they don't fit.

Good to see you again, Badgerprints! The shoe stretcher is kind of severe but works really well. A big green one!

Alternatively, and if there are a lot of socks around try this:
If the problem area is up far enough, stick a plastic water bottle first in each boot. Then stuff the socks in until they're tight up where the 'problem area' is. Heat up your oven to 190-200 F and put in a cookie pan 2/3 full of water in a rack right below the boots. Instant Borneo. They'll stretch for sure after a few hours, or that cookie pan's water evaporates away.
It's kind of like checking a cake, though: after an hour and a half you may want to check them, but the stitching won't be stressed out this way.

Did the same thing down in the bottom to wide out a pair of
old school Endicott Johnsons. Faithful replicas of the old 1942
jumpers; except believe it or not they weren't wide enough
for my Eastern European Duck Busters. I swim really well ROFL.

Great lookin' foots: beat me whip me make me write bad checks!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Former dancer here so I hear you about the dancer's legs, lol. Calves aren't so much of a problem but my quads. I don't have to do anything and they are like rocks.

I did Pilates for years up until my injury (unrelated to Pilates). I never used the ball but I did use the isotonic rubber bands. Most of the exercises I did were abdominal floor work (two c-sections--booo!) and arm/leg with the bands. If you feel like you're going to die by the midpoint of your workout, you're doing it right. lol I've lifted weights, done cycling, and more but nothing beat Pilates in making you hurt in places that you didn't know existed.

Part of the reason why the calves are narrow is that women didn't really start getting into weight lifing/hardcore exercise until the late 70's and early 80's. Early 70's would've still been the time period where the general thought was that "ladies do NOT sweat". It's probably not anything wrong with your calves but just a change in the times and women's fitness. In the 70's, we were still in Twiggy land for high fashion. My mother was a model in the 60's so I spent way too much time hearing fashion history of the 60's and 70's before getting Vogue and W crammed in my face throughout the 80's, lol.

P.S. Totally spaced it. See if you have a local shoe repairman in your area. S/he may have an idea how to make those boots fit without ruining them.
edit on 18/10/13 by WhiteAlice because: added ps

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

derfreebie

Alternatively, and if there are a lot of socks around try this:
If the problem area is up far enough, stick a plastic water bottle first in each boot. Then stuff the socks in until they're tight up where the 'problem area' is. Heat up your oven to 190-200 F and put in a cookie pan 2/3 full of water in a rack right below the boots. Instant Borneo. They'll stretch for sure after a few hours, or that cookie pan's water evaporates away.
It's kind of like checking a cake, though: after an hour and a half you may want to check them, but the stitching won't be stressed out this way.

That's a good idea too. I've heard of a similar method using the oven to stretch leather. Depending on what the shoe smith charges to stretch them I just might have to do one of these alternative methods.

Great lookin' foots: beat me whip me make me write bad checks!

LMAO! This just cracked me up!!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Former dancer here so I hear you about the dancer's legs, lol. Calves aren't so much of a problem but my quads. I don't have to do anything and they are like rocks.

I have that problem as well!! Also doesn't help that I have butt either. If I buy the size that fits my waist then my things and rear don't fit but if I go up a size then it's too big in my waist but fits every where else. I swear this is one of the main reasons I always wanted to get into fashion design. It seems designers make clothes for people with ZERO shape!

I did Pilates for years up until my injury (unrelated to Pilates). I never used the ball but I did use the isotonic rubber bands. Most of the exercises I did were abdominal floor work (two c-sections--booo!) and arm/leg with the bands. If you feel like you're going to die by the midpoint of your workout, you're doing it right. lol I've lifted weights, done cycling, and more but nothing beat Pilates in making you hurt in places that you didn't know existed.

I will have to try the rubber bands. I have heard of those but mostly people tell me I need the ball. I'll get both! Yea if you feel the burn it's definitely working!

Part of the reason why the calves are narrow is that women didn't really start getting into weight lifing/hardcore exercise until the late 70's and early 80's. Early 70's would've still been the time period where the general thought was that "ladies do NOT sweat". It's probably not anything wrong with your calves but just a change in the times and women's fitness. In the 70's, we were still in Twiggy land for high fashion. My mother was a model in the 60's so I spent way too much time hearing fashion history of the 60's and 70's before getting Vogue and W crammed in my face throughout the 80's, lol.

LOL that is cool about your mom! I love fashion, well I use to love Fashion. It just doesn't seem the same anymore. I am not a fan of the overly photoshopped unrealistic looking models they have now. Back when I was into it it was Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer. They had shape!

P.S. Totally spaced it. See if you have a local shoe repairman in your area. S/he may have an idea how to make those boots fit without ruining them.
edit on 18/10/13 by WhiteAlice because: added ps

I called my shoe guy who fixes my Manolo's and he can stretch the boots. I just have to bring the boots to him Monday so he can check for sure but he said that they have very high success rates with boots and stretching esp the calf area.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It's true. They do design for ZERO shape. Pre-kids, I was a size 1/2 in designer with a 20" waist and just a few inches more in the hip (hence the c-sections lol). People joked that if I turned sideways, I'd disappear but wouldn't you know it, everything fit me perfectly. No adjustments needed though I had to buy children's jeans. They really do make clothes for human hangers as a former human hanger. That's why I know about Twiggy because my mom called me that. Of course, these days...nope..if it fits in the waist, there's gaps at the hips and I go up and down in sizes so much from water that I have to have size 6, 8 and 10 jeans in my closet...Whatever, body...whatever...lol

Yeah, the models back in the day were pretty and yes, they had shape/meat. My favorite was Christi Turlington. She's so pretty. My mother still throws magazines at me (I think she's trying to tell me something at this point) and it's pretty startling how thin the models are today and they all look the same to me. No kidding about the photoshop, too. I used to be appalled by all the perfumed inserts in fashion mags. Now I'm appalled by most of the pictures. I must be getting old.

Glad to hear the good news! Knew those shoe gurus would know what to do. Pretty soon you'll be like Nancy Sinatra.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

WhiteAlice

It's true. They do design for ZERO shape. Pre-kids, I was a size 1/2 in designer with a 20" waist and just a few inches more in the hip (hence the c-sections lol). People joked that if I turned sideways, I'd disappear but wouldn't you know it, everything fit me perfectly. No adjustments needed though I had to buy children's jeans. They really do make clothes for human hangers as a former human hanger. That's why I know about Twiggy because my mom called me that. Of course, these days...nope..if it fits in the waist, there's gaps at the hips and I go up and down in sizes so much from water that I have to have size 6, 8 and 10 jeans in my closet...Whatever, body...whatever...lol

LOL yea as a kid I was called a twig and wore a 6x even in middle school! Ugh it sucked. Before I had my son I had to buy some clothes in the kids section and I hated it. I remember wanted a jean skirt and I couldn't find any in the adult/teen section lol so I went to the kids section at Target and got one. I remember there were buttons inside on the sides and I was like "What are these for" and my bf at the time said, "They are for when you grow up you can adjust the size." I just about died. lol It was the only skirt I could find that fit and wasn't super short lol plus it was cheaper!

I know what you mean about having various sizes in your closet! I never cared what the tag said for size, as long as it fit that is all that mattered. Too many people worry about that "number." When I worked retail I would hear girls freak over having to get a bigger size and I'd look at them and say, " who sees what size it is." They would just look at me. I use to tell them only they knew the size and who cared, as long as it fit. I am however convinced sizes today are NOT the same as they use to be. OMG it drives me nuts. Before i had my son I was a 1/2 and I had many clothes from 10yrs prior that were a 1/2, well a 1/2 is not the same as it use to be 10yrs ago. I swear a 1/2 now is so small it's for kids!! I honestly feel that is why so many girls have image issues, between that and the unrealistically over photoshopped models on magazines.

Yeah, the models back in the day were pretty and yes, they had shape/meat. My favorite was Christi Turlington. She's so pretty. My mother still throws magazines at me (I think she's trying to tell me something at this point) and it's pretty startling how thin the models are today and they all look the same to me. No kidding about the photoshop, too. I used to be appalled by all the perfumed inserts in fashion mags. Now I'm appalled by most of the pictures. I must be getting old.

Yes Christy Turlington! She is beautiful! They were the original "supermodels."

HAHA perfume inserts! I use to keep them in a folder so I always had "designer" perfume. I use to make fashion folders of all my favorite designers and I'd pull out their ads or articles and make binders on them for every year. I was HUGELY into fashion as a kid, teen and in my early to mid 20s....then it changed. I still love fashion but not like I use to, it's not the same anymore.

Glad to hear the good news! Knew those shoe gurus would know what to do. Pretty soon you'll be like Nancy Sinatra.

HAHA Oh I have soooo many pairs of shoes and boots. It's like a sickness. It's my only vice you could say. lol My ATS name is for Manolo Blahnik, who is my favorite of course. I have one pair of his shoes, they were a gift and they sit on their own little shelf on display lol.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yep, a thousand internal deaths for having to shop in the "children's" department. It never ceased to humiliate me. Even my mother was more than a little perturbed when a snarky saleswoman told her "why don't you take her to the children's section..." like it was somehow her fault that I was a stick. Too funny about the buttons. I guess we both grew up (or perhaps out lol).

I have the same attitude about sizing, too. If something fits and is flattering, that's all that matters. I see way too many young women stuffing themselves in jeans that are too small and getting that resultant muffin top. That's just not attractive at all, lol. I was actually looking at sizing, too, because I recently got in a fight about whether or not I was a size 1/2. A younger female friend said "there is no size 1/2". She probably would've flipped if I had told her that I also wore a size 0 back in the 80's if she freaked out about the size 1/2. I noticed that the smallest they get listed as online is size 6 though I am pretty darn sure that some stores still have 4's. Haven't seen any 1/2's but I'm definitely not a clothes horse anymore either, lol.

Something just dawned on me though. You were saying that a size 1/2 looks like it'd fit a child and we're talking about how sizes had to have changed. The funny thing is that when we were a size 1/2, where did we sometimes have to shop? THE CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT. LOL Ahh, maybe they haven't changed but we have, lol. Denial, thou art loathsome! lol

Totally recognized your nick as being Manolo Blahnik lover, lol. As much as I pretend to have a disdain for fashion these days, my fiance always finds it humorous when I recognize which actress is wearing Loubiton's or that my grandmother is running around with a Kate Spade handbag. How do I know these things? I disavow all knowledge of fashion. Really! I used to love shoes, too, but alas, arthritis in my feet killed that joy. Kaiser Permanente actually offered to cover reconstruction surgery for my feet. You know your tootsies are malformed when Kaiser is willing to pay to improve their appearance for free, lol. I didn't take them up on the offer because I'd lose the ability to pick things up with my feet so no more narrow toed shoes for me. lol

I still covet them though. Shhh, don't tell....I love window shopping.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Yep, a thousand internal deaths for having to shop in the "children's" department. It never ceased to humiliate me. Even my mother was more than a little perturbed when a snarky saleswoman told her "why don't you take her to the children's section..." like it was somehow her fault that I was a stick. Too funny about the buttons. I guess we both grew up (or perhaps out lol).

OMG yes!! I hated when they'd suggest that. I also don't like the looks I'd get as an adult IN the kids section lol. It's like hey I can't help it! Now I can't shop in the kids section after having a baby. So that is a bonus! I can shop in the big girls section now, at 34! lol

I remember stuffing my shoes in 9th grade so I could wear pumps! I even stuffed my bra because I wore a strapless "bra" lol. I got called toothpick and twig ALL through school. It also drove me nuts when people said I was anorexic. I find that just as offensive as calling someone fat. I was far from anorexic.

I have the same attitude about sizing, too. If something fits and is flattering, that's all that matters.

Exactly!! I went shopping Monday at 2 different stores, Old Navy and Stein Mart. Well at old Navy I bought all size 10 but at Stein Mart I bought 6 and 8 petite. It's weird how clothing sizes are so different depending on the store. I really think that is why so many young girls have image issues. The sizes are sooooo small at the "popular" mainstream stores. I don't care what size it is, if it fits it's MINE!

I see way too many young women stuffing themselves in jeans that are too small and getting that resultant muffin top. That's just not attractive at all, lol.

Oh yea no...no muffin top!! There is no excuse to have one of those. Buy the right size!

I was actually looking at sizing, too, because I recently got in a fight about whether or not I was a size 1/2. A younger female friend said "there is no size 1/2". She probably would've flipped if I had told her that I also wore a size 0 back in the 80's if she freaked out about the size 1/2. I noticed that the smallest they get listed as online is size 6 though I am pretty darn sure that some stores still have 4's. Haven't seen any 1/2's but I'm definitely not a clothes horse anymore either, lol.

HAha yea I don't like when people are like "oh that isn't a size." It's like why don't I show you my clothes tags. I just put all my OP shorts which are a 1/2 and a few 0's in my garage sale bin. I see sizes from 0+, it just depends on the store you are in and what brand it is. Higher end designers start at a size 4. I do remember being upset in HS that I couldn't shop at Express because their sizes ran big, even the 0 was too big on me. I remember when I could finally buy a pair of pants that fit there, just as long as I wore a belt. lol

Some designers stick to the traditional pattern sizes which tend to start at a 4 and go up in 2's.

Do you remember 5-7-9 the store? lol The old one, not the newer one that isn't the same quality or style.

Something just dawned on me though. You were saying that a size 1/2 looks like it'd fit a child and we're talking about how sizes had to have changed. The funny thing is that when we were a size 1/2, where did we sometimes have to shop? THE CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT. LOL Ahh, maybe they haven't changed but we have, lol. Denial, thou art loathsome! lol

HAHA oh I've changed now due to having a baby but I am a clothes hoarder so I had clothes from 10yrs ago to compare to today's sizes. I use to put my size 1/2 next to the current 1/2 and they were nothing a like in size. That is when I realized the sizes had changed even tops.

Totally recognized your nick as being Manolo Blahnik lover, lol. As much as I pretend to have a disdain for fashion these days, my fiance always finds it humorous when I recognize which actress is wearing Loubiton's or that my grandmother is running around with a Kate Spade handbag. How do I know these things? I disavow all knowledge of fashion. Really! I used to love shoes, too, but alas, arthritis in my feet killed that joy. Kaiser Permanente actually offered to cover reconstruction surgery for my feet. You know your tootsies are malformed when Kaiser is willing to pay to improve their appearance for free, lol. I didn't take them up on the offer because I'd lose the ability to pick things up with my feet so no more narrow toed shoes for me. lol

LOL yea I have always been into fashion but not like I use to. I was the one my friends and family came to for fashion advice. I love dressing others and helping them with their style.

I haven't been able to wear narrow pointy heels since before I was pregnant and even further than that due to my accident. They hurt my back. I remember I wanted to wear my Something Blue Manolo's for Valentines Day so I wore flats and brought my Manolo's with me and changed in the car. All I had to do was walk from the car to the table and sit lol They matched my dress so I had to wear them!!

Oh wow that is an offer! I dont' think mine are damaged but they are definitely not the same!

I still covet them though. Shhh, don't tell....I love window shopping.

Oh me too. I love window shopping in person and online! I love to "shop" Neiman Marcus and Ebay for Manolo's lol. It fills my need to have them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join