It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To be Oneself. Or not.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
To be or not to be...

I never read shakespeare.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

Seriously.

Not one single 'system' in the world 'works'.

If one did, would there be 7 billion insane
monkey's throwing poop at each other
on planet Earth?

KPB

Hell, I don't know...

I'm just grateful for the opportunity to use words like Kinesthesis, peripheral and cognition.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I thought-provoking opening post that encourages one to consider all the spiritual advice we receive from those apparently more enlightened than we are. From birth, it seems we are programmed to believe that we all need to live up to a certain persona and model our behaviour on the "spiritually enlightened" in order to be happy and fulfilled. But it is the deviation from our true selves that causes us the most distress and unhappiness. I'm not saying one should not acknowledge and attempt to improve on their faults and weaknesses, just that one should not lose the identity that makes them unique in the quest to be like somebody else.

edit on 17/10/2013 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I am myselves at all times. Ones never pretend to be something ones are not.

Maybe this thread is not for us. Oh well...

Speak for yourself you muppet.

Oi, don't talk to her like that.

Nah nah na nah na you is a pigs bum.

Right thats it, you are going back in the closet.

STOP IT ALL OF YOU!
edit on 17102013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Dark Ghost
I thought-provoking opening post that encourages one to consider all the spiritual advice we receive from those apparently more enlightened than we are. From birth, it seems we are programmed to believe that we all need to live up to a certain persona and model our behaviour on the "spiritually enlightened" in order to be happy and fulfilled. But it is the deviation from our true selves that causes us the most distress and unhappiness. I'm not saying one should not acknowledge and attempt to improve on their faults and weaknesses, just that one should not lose the identity that makes them unique in the quest to be like somebody else.

edit on 17/10/2013 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

Really depends on you definition of "spiritually enlightened"?

If you mean have a certain mask that is in a certain way then it can be described as a specific persona.

If you mean a state where your senses in the body is increased and you can feel the light/chi around you so you can manipulate and feel chi/chakras and start a root flame burn then it does not care about the persona you show to others.
edit on 17-10-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Does one need to create oneself?
Are you not already being?

I do not mean literally. We're not yet quite capable of creating, say, an arm or leg or a sixth toe.

We can create our personas, however—our egos, our spirits, our ideas. It might be a better idea to create our own personas rather than have some other artist do it for us.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I'm not saying one should not acknowledge and attempt to improve on their faults and weaknesses, just that one should not lose the identity that makes them unique in the quest to be like somebody else.

We are the kings of our identities. That's what spirituality is all about in my eyes: taking control of our identities, taking responsibility for them, rather than giving it to another on a platter and call that spirituality.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Aphorism
Every God attempts to make us in his image.

How many gods do you know?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Aphorism
I wonder what they see when they look at us vagabonds and miscreants of spirituality. We must offend their very core at the mere sight of us. “Look at him, this spiritually impoverished soul,” says their ego, “If only he were without desire,” says their desire.

This is coming from your mind - thought tells you what 'they' think - and then thought declares 'them' egotistical.

edit on 17-10-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Aphorism
“To be” is to accept oneself, to be honest with oneself and to value oneself as one already is, in the hopes of learning, mastering and overcoming oneself for the sake of everything that we are apart of.

'To be' is to be, it is not about becoming more.
Realization of being means one does not have hopes - being is all so what else is there to hope for?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Can the psyche explore the relationship between rational sensibilities and the primary process ethic.
With influences as diverse as Jung and Skinner, new tensions are manufactured from both traditional and modern narratives.
Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the traditional understanding of the human condition. What starts out as hope soon becomes finessed into a manifesto of greed, leaving only a sense of unreality and the dawn of a new beginning.
As subtlety becomes frozen through variable intervals and personal practice, the soul is left with only a hymn to the possibilities of our existence.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Aphorism

Does one need to create oneself?
Are you not already being?

I do not mean literally. We're not yet quite capable of creating, say, an arm or leg or a sixth toe.

We can create our personas, however—our egos, our spirits, our ideas. It might be a better idea to create our own personas rather than have some other artist do it for us.

Reading your Op you state that one is already so does one have to create oneself?

Aphorism
To be oneself. Or not.
To be oneself, one needn’t do anything.

In this moment, if there is no idea or thought about before or next, are you? Or are you not?
Trying to be something other than what you are or thinking that you are a persona that requires more is 'becoming', a never ending search.
'Being' is already complete.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
To know ones self, we should also know the dark side.
I will presume all are primarily self serving , forgiven from that, It may be the 1st thing we should know of our selves.
Through metacognitive practices we can improve the self we wish know.
edit on 17-10-2013 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Aphorism

You can create any mask you like. Who is it under the mask? Have you even looked to see what is behind the mask?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Reading your Op you state that one is already so does one have to create oneself?

Creating oneself does not change one's being. It cannot change even if we tried. Of course, one does not have to. One can do nothing if one chooses. But doing nothing is exactly that—doing nothing.

In this moment, if there is no idea or thought about before or next, are you? Or are you not?
Trying to be something other than what you are or thinking that you are a persona that requires more is 'becoming', a never ending search.
'Being' is already complete.

How can one be anything other than what one is? Even if one thinks he is his persona does not change anything. He is still being himself; he can't be anything else. Even the persona is a part of what one is. To destroy that is 'becoming', a never ending search.

You can create any mask you like. Who is it under the mask? Have you even looked to see what is behind the mask?

The mask-maker.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

'To be' is to be, it is not about becoming more.
Realization of being means one does not have hopes - being is all so what else is there to hope for?

Except one has hopes; even if they hope not to hope. One can deny hopes if they wish, but it is also an attempt to deny what one is.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

olaru12

KellyPrettyBear

Seriously.

Not one single 'system' in the world 'works'.

If one did, would there be 7 billion insane
monkey's throwing poop at each other
on planet Earth?

KPB

Hell, I don't know...

I'm just grateful for the opportunity to use words like Kinesthesis, peripheral and cognition.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Aphorism
How can one be anything other than what one is? Even if one thinks he is his persona does not change anything. He is still being himself; he can't be anything else.

A case of misidentification changes a lot.
What is it that you think you are? Thought has a habit of flip flopping - always changing it's mind.

Do you put each thought there or do you see thought appear and notice thought?
Thoughts just appear and change but that which notices thought is stable.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

What is it that you think you are? Thought has a habit of flip flopping - always changing it's mind.

So far, "human" has been sufficient enough to describe what I am.

I disagree with that. Try sleeping and noticing thoughts. Try skydiving and noticing thoughts. Try making love and noticing thoughts. There's nothing stable about "that which notices".

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Aphorism

So far, "human" has been sufficient enough to describe what I am.

I disagree with that. Try sleeping and noticing thoughts. Try skydiving and noticing thoughts. Try making love and noticing thoughts. There's nothing stable about "that which notices".

What is noticed when sleep is happening? Maybe you have not noticed that which is noticing.
When the stable is found then one has found what one truly is.
edit on 18-10-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join