It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The march on DC in March

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
We've all seen the various million person marches over the years, and yet none have ever produced a million, though some have come close.

I propose that a "March in March" should be organized.

Every proponent for whatever cause be given one day in March to protest their particular agenda.

If some one could actually efficiently organize such a event that spans a whole month a message might be actually heard by those in power. Doing so, will give everyone their day in the spotlight. 31 days of gridlock downtown.

Imagine, a whole month of protests. Regardless of the protests message, a message will have been sent to the three branches of government. We the people are getting pissed off. For whatever reasons.

And since it would be in March, it gives people time to organize them and get the word out.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Is this a scary subject? Just wondering.

Granted, one month of day to day protests would help identify people to others who have a opposing view. But we have that already.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think it is a great idea myself and who knows, it might catch on. But, I also think everyday in and around Washington and as close to the White House as you can get these days are thousands of protestors, and marchers, picketers, and they never go away. Nobody listens and nobody cares....used to be "unless somebody dies" and as years passed that changed to "unless many people die" but these days our politicians are so wrapped up in the next election, they do nothing, no matter what befalls the people they represent. They are commitment-phobes, just biding their time from vacation to vacation This way, at least they know they didn't DIS-please anyone and with a good PR team, they have a shot. They are in it for the perks and until that changes somehow...I don't see any progress. Not optimistic...but hey, I've been wrong before.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Loveaduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This would be counter productive as most protestors are protesting things others groups would be for and vice versa. This would simply send a message America has no idea what it wants. Which of course is pretty much true.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

MrSpad
This would simply send a message America has no idea what it wants. Which of course is pretty much true.

Really?

I know what most Americans want.

That’s the message 60 percent of Americans are sending to Washington in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, saying if they had the chance to vote to defeat and replace every single member of Congress, including their own representative, they would. Just 35 percent say they would not.

NBC/WSJ poll: 60 percent say fire every member of Congress

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

MrSpad
This would be counter productive as most protestors are protesting things others groups would be for and vice versa. This would simply send a message America has no idea what it wants. Which of course is pretty much true.

Good point. What do Americans want? I know all I want is for them to get out of my life - to the extent they are. If you think about it, they have a lot of influence over our day to day lives. It would be nice to see things as they once were - the people more powerful than the government.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Dianec because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

sonnny1

MrSpad
This would simply send a message America has no idea what it wants. Which of course is pretty much true.

Really?

I know what most Americans want.

That’s the message 60 percent of Americans are sending to Washington in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, saying if they had the chance to vote to defeat and replace every single member of Congress, including their own representative, they would. Just 35 percent say they would not.

NBC/WSJ poll: 60 percent say fire every member of Congress

That is a poll. Who puts faith in those these days? It is well know they are used to sway opinions - and unfortunately it works. How would it help to kick them all out exactly? What would this change?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Dianec

That is a poll. Who puts faith in those these days? It is well know they are used to sway opinions - and unfortunately it works. How would it help to kick them all out exactly? What would this change?

Are you telling me you have confidence in your elected officials? I dont know ANYONE that does. Do you?

I think the 'poll' is accurate.

A big enough march would send a message. Voting them out would send a message.

Its funny. Imagine if those who fought for our Independence had the same type of reasoning that you question me on?

Nothing will change, if you dont change it. If you think it cant be done, then sit on the sidelines when folks do try to change this Country.

Fire Congress, and make corporate Lobbying illegal. Its a start.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Why only congress? And nothing in my post said I sit on the sidelines of anything nor that I have faith in our government - that is your defensiveness. I'm simply saying polls are not enough and are often used to sway opinion by whoever is wanting the swaying done. I believe only 28% wanted Obama reflected at one point so what did that do? Again - why only congress? Why not all of them?

People need to demand change first. Kicking everyone out before insisting on change does nothing. Again - how would it help if this happened today with just congress? Who would take their place? More of the same due to laws that provide too much power to the institution as a whole. Which by the way the people endorsed whole heartedly after 9/11. Let it grow grow grow. And it did.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Like I said, Congress is a start. You have to start somewhere, right?

Demand? America is done making demands. They do not work. Please show me where they have in the last 4 years?

I would like you to answer your own questions, if you may. If my answers are not good enough for you, then maybe your solutions to it might be better?

If you dont have a solution or a start, then my "defensive posture" is warranted.

edit on 13-10-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Of course our founding fathers would have approved of this type of thinking - remove over 500 members who were voted in by the people and leave the one who appoints all under him powers (the executive branch). Also just leave the judicial branch out while were out it. Why do you suppose that is? Sounds like a poll with a purpose to me. Our founding fathers would disapprove of me questioning singling one branch out? Glad to know that is a good start. Please complete the thought though. What happens after that because that is sort of important. Why not kick out the executive? At least the reps were voted in by the people. To kick them out takes our voices out completely

Also - kicking all out of congress is generalizing - assuming all of them are bad seeds. Nothing gets done when people start out with this sort of thinking. It gets done by being reasonable and taking small steps. Anything so dramatic would not happen, and if it did it would only give the executive a ton of room to exploit it.

All of this is not their fault either. Lets look at how we allowed this to happen as well. To blame them alone is to say we are powerless in all of this / have no responsibility. That is something I'm sure our founders would disapprove of for sure. They gave us rights so why do we wait until the last hour and then say we are victims. We have so much power - always have. We just haven't been using it. Now it is being taken but...that started long ago. People have been in a trance or something. None of this just happened this month.

There are more effective ways to turn this around than firing one branch of the government. Maybe stop prescribing to media that forms rather than informs knowledge. Maybe make a change by voting after lots of research - looking at all sides - not just what people want to see will benefit them at the moment.

But will any of that or more happen or do we just want to have all of our conveniences, and not have to work for it in our day to day lives? It's so much easier to just blame someone. Some collective insight is in order. Should they "all" go. Would be nice. Just unrealistic and does not fix the root of the problem - which is what put them there and made them what they are today.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

It wouldn't be overnight, that's for sure. There are ways of firing those representatives. We have to clean up this Country, and unfortunately cleaning house is what we need. You might think that some members of congress are doing their job. Personally, I think they aren't doing enough.

If you look at my post history you will see I want them ALL out, not just Congress.

There are people who already have the idea.

It’s very simple. We just refuse to vote for any incumbent. You’re free to vote for anyone else, so you can still use your vote to influence which party controls the Congress. We may lose a few good people in the process, but it’s the price we have to pay in order to clean out the den of thieves that our government has become. Any good ones can certainly run again if they want. When they get back in, they will stand a far better chance of making a difference than they do now. So you need to see this as doing the “good ones” a huge favor. As it stands now, we’re just throwing them into a pack of wolves.

source

Even if you think its wrong or couldn't work, its a start. I dont believe that the status quo is working or is ever going to get better.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

sonnny1
reply to post by Dianec

Like I said, Congress is a start. You have to start somewhere, right?

Demand? America is done making demands. They do not work. Please show me where they have in the last 4 years?

I would like you to answer your own questions, if you may. If my answers are not good enough for you, then maybe your solutions to it might be better?

If you dont have a solution or a start, then my "defensive posture" is warranted.

edit on 13-10-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

I certainly don't oppose demonstrations or symbolic protests of any kind.

I think the real progress will be made by approaching this as a simple austerity movement. For each of us to remove local official powers of office, to work within our sphere of influence.

If we can put austerity candidates in any office, from councilman to president, they should be tasked to actively reduce and minimize government power.
edit on 14-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

top topics

join