It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK firm seeks to market world's first malaria vaccine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Oh my goodness. If this works? If this is actually EFFECTIVE? It would be as staggering a breakthrough, in my personal opinion, as Small Pox and Polio vaccines.

British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline is seeking regulatory approval for the world's first malaria vaccine after trial data showed that it had cut the number of cases in African children.

Experts say that they are optimistic about the possibility of the world's first vaccine after the trial results.

Malaria, a mosquito-borne parasitic disease, kills hundreds of thousands of people worldwide every year.
Source

Actually, the BBC understates the problem here, if anything.

About 3.3 billion people – half of the world's population – are at risk of malaria. In 2010, there were about 219 million malaria cases (with an uncertainty range of 154 million to 289 million) and an estimated 660 000 malaria deaths (with an uncertainty range of 490 000 to 836 000). Increased prevention and control measures have led to a reduction in malaria mortality rates by more than 25% globally since 2000 and by 33% in the WHO African Region.
Source: World Health Organization

Like other bugs once a household name and now a part of history, Malaria is one of those that has always been there it seems, stalking people all over the world. It would be a new day in many places if Malaria became as historic a thing as Polio.

I thought it worth sharing though and perhaps getting some comments. Even for a vaccine ..IF effective..this one is beyond argument for the need and the deaths every year which it may well prevent?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Huge, if it works. There's also an effective antibiotic against malaria now, at least in animal studies. It's winding its way through the system for something else at the moment.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think this is amazing

but let me play devils advocate for a moment

Malaria as we all know disproportionately affects third word states and kills something like 1 million a year.

if this vaccine works its 1 million more people to look after and 1 million extra mouths to feed in a part of the world already failing to look after its existing population.

like i say just playing devils advocate but its a interesting thought, what might fix one problem might just cause more down the line unless we can also develop a vaccine for poverty and hunger.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I been aware of this for a while. Great to here its about to go into production.

Wont be long before the woo woo wack jobs flood on here and start claiming its got mind control chips in it or that its got chemicals delibratly in it to kill us all
I laugh but these crazys will most likley kill thousands with there ingnorance and stupidity.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

like i say just playing devils advocate but its a interesting thought, what might fix one problem might just cause more down the line unless we can also develop a vaccine for poverty and hunger.

Yeah, I was going to say that too but it seemed like Willie Wetblanket. This will be a Malthusian nightmare, if it worked.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It would be FANTASTIC if this works. However wonderful this news might be, and if it's immediately effective, there would likely be a huge impact on the worlds hunger stats so TPTB need to plan accordingly now so those affected aren't trading one cause of death for another. It does need to be addressed immediately. There shouldn't need to be a solution to this problem since the second scenario simply should not exist.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Then i suggest removing safety labels and signs, why must only the poor needs to die to control population? morons deserve it too.

-------

Im usually pro-vaccine but i would like more test before human use..(but im pretty sure they tested on some kids in africa illegally anyway)...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Then i suggest removing safety labels and signs, why must only the poor needs to die to control population? morons deserve it too.

You did read the part where i said i was playing devils advocate right?

I think this is a amazing advancement in the fight against disease

But what i also saying at the same time that it could in the end create more problems down the line, my post was only to start debate, i was not saying we should let the poor die.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ah of course i saw that, i like to play Devil's advocate as well(thus my signature).. but inventing thing means saving human which in fact will keep humans alive longer thus high consumption of resources... However, if we were to look at this point of view, then we should not be inventing anything to heal or better humans.

So cut Cancer programs and finding cure for terminal illness? its seems backwards.

But i do understand what you are trying to say but it seems illogical.

top topics

join