It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big news for Airbus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In what could turn out to be huge news for Airbus in their attempt to break into the Asian market, Japan Airlines has ordered 31 A350s, to enter service in 2019. The breakdown is 18 A350-900, and 13 A350-1000s. This is huge news, as Japan Airlines has always been a Boeing customer. They currently have 117 Boeing aircraft in their fleet.

Airbus sees Asia and India as the next big markets to conquer, and have been working to break into them, as they have traditionally been Boeing territory. It makes you wonder if the 787 service entry problems hurt Boeing worse than they thought, and has something to do with this order.

Japan Airlines (JAL) has signed a purchase agreement for 31 Airbus A350s with an option for a further 25 aircraft, marking its first ever Airbus order.

The 31 aircraft includes 18 A350-900s and 13 of the larger -1000 variant.

Airbus says the target is for the A350s to enter JAL's fleet from 2019, and gradually replace the Japanese carrier's ageing fleet over a six-year period.

The A350s will be fitted with Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines, the only powerplant currently available for the type. This is also Airbus's first sale of the A350 in Japan.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I think it is also likely that many big corporations see the writing on the wall for a US economic train wreck and are distancing themselves from this. Why buy some very expensive kit from a country that may or may not survive such a crash.

Decisions are never made based on single lines of thought. There are likely many elements taken into account. Especially when you are spending this sort of money. May also be a case of not wanting all your eggs in one basket.

P

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I would say that the plague-ridden 787 has a play in this for sure. Boeing needs to turn the tide if they want to retain the market though, as airliners in Asia will continue to find their fleet air-frame that will suit their needs. The 787 is beautiful but with so many battery problems, it leaves these airlines in a bind.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

It hasn't been all battery problems though. If you remove the battery problems, it's no worse than the 777 was at service entry, and probably better than the A380 to a degree.

Hopefully the 787-9 goes better, with the lessons learned from the -8.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Don't imagine I'd feel entirely comfortable as a Boeing exec reading this news. I think the "Dream liner" cost them many points and unless Airbuses start falling out of the sky for no good reason, Boeing is going to take a hit here. With present competition, no one can afford to have a bad product in the air because the effect of that is you either fold or downsize. Anyone who can consistently deliver aircraft to handle the needs of business and general populace safely deserves market share and Airbus seem to be on their game.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

True, but those were the most visible and they really were visible with story after story. It should be a good battle to come. I prefer Boeing as they still for the most part, rely upon the human element to operate the craft (though not sure with the newer versions; I am relying on my Delta captain cousin and her boyfriend.)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Airbus has had some serious flops in recent years, just nothing that has been covered by the media to the extent that the 787 has been. It seems like every time a 787 coughs it's a huge story, and they're about to be grounded again.

Meanwhile, the A380 hasn't come close to meeting the orders they thought they would, and there are questions as to whether they'll ever break even on it. Add to that the uncontained engine failure that almost cost an aircraft, and the wing cracks they've had.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

pheonix358
I think it is also likely that many big corporations see the writing on the wall for a US economic train wreck and are distancing themselves from this. Why buy some very expensive kit from a country that may or may not survive such a crash.

The state or lack thereof of the US economy is not as big of an issue as you might think. Boeing now like Airbus is more of a airframe integrator than a nose to tail builder of airframes and the 787 is truly a multinational product. Japan has a huge stake in 787 production not to mention the benifits of the technology gained from producing parts of the 787 /

I suspect this is more of an pure economic play than anything:

Airbus has in the past sold planes at rock bottom prices in hotly contested markets and no doubt JAL recived a great price on the airframes.

You wonder if future airbus work was dangled at the Japanese industrial base. While the NEO and MAX are all the rage a single isle replacement will still have to be made in the future. THis send a message to BOTH sides.

Most airlines want to get these more fuel efficent airframes in inventory to reduce costs. They may not have been able to get enough 787's

top topics

join