It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would cause a lightbulb to do this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I was in the kitchen yesterday and I heard this loud POP. I went into the living room and started to look around. Well my dog, Rosco, was standing in front of the bookshelf next to the table that has my light house lamp. He was looking up at the lamp and that is when I saw the HOLE in the lightbulb and the piece that popped out was on the floor. It was plugged in but not on. It totally creeped me out!

What would cause this?

This is the lamp

This is the hole

And the piece of bulb

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
if the bulb is not plugged into a surge protector. a surge of electricity could have caused the bulb to bust.

or since it was a chunk blown off. there could have been a crack that kept stressing. until finally made it way back to the start of the crack and POPped off..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'd rewire it. Is it antique? Looks that way. Could be it just needs an update.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Probably THIS:

Small damages to the makeup of a light bulb can eventually lead to an explosion. If a glass wasn't sealed properly, then air from outside the bulb will rush inside. The enhanced amount of oxygen, and the changes in pressure between the inside and outside of the bulb will result in the filament burning out sooner and the glass exploding.

Must have been a faulty bulb, glad it didn't hurt you or the dog.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Restricted
I'd rewire it. Is it antique? Looks that way. Could be it just needs an update.

I have no idea. I got it at a thrift store. I've had it for years.

I love it and was going to get rid of it then it really grew on me as soon as I found the right lampshade.

Is it hard to rewire? Could I do it or should I have someone do it for me.

The plug looks very "old school."

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

MadHatter364

Probably THIS:

Small damages to the makeup of a light bulb can eventually lead to an explosion. If a glass wasn't sealed properly, then air from outside the bulb will rush inside. The enhanced amount of oxygen, and the changes in pressure between the inside and outside of the bulb will result in the filament burning out sooner and the glass exploding.

Must have been a faulty bulb, glad it didn't hurt you or the dog.

Yea that must be it because that is a new bulb. I bought some when I moved in so it's only been in about a month and a half. I use that lamp every single night.

I was starting to think my apt was haunted haha.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

BOPcaj
if the bulb is not plugged into a surge protector. a surge of electricity could have caused the bulb to bust.

or since it was a chunk blown off. there could have been a crack that kept stressing. until finally made it way back to the start of the crack and POPped off..

I thought about the surge too but usually when I've had that happen the whole bulb pops, but I guess it still could have been a surge.

I guess it was either a surge then or bad bulb.

Thanks everyone

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Is it the correct wattage for the lamp? I'm an electrician and a lot of times I find that people think they can just put in any old bulb and everything will be fine. For example, most house lamps are around 60W-75W and people will put a 100W or even 150W.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Older plugs tend to be easier to rewire. If you are a handy individual I would say do it yourself.
If you have no clue where to start, look up how to do it, or ask a friend/ take it to a shop.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is the dog a slobbery breed? Could have shook its head and a blob hit the bulb. Water hitting the hot glass can cause this if it was still hot from being on recently.
edit on 6-10-2013 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Exploding bulbs are fairly common, or rather were. Even with brand names it could occur. I had one blow on me one time, and the centre pillar inside the bulb that carries the elements embedded itself in the carpet.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

fullkrause
Is it the correct wattage for the lamp? I'm an electrician and a lot of times I find that people think they can just put in any old bulb and everything will be fine. For example, most house lamps are around 60W-75W and people will put a 100W or even 150W.

It's like 45w. I've had the lamp for 2 yrs and have used up to 75w in it. It has two bulb sockets but I mostly only use one. I have other lamps I use at the same time. It tends to be too bright with both turned on.

I have never even seen or used a 100w or 150w bulb!! Wow, that is some high wattage!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

randomtangentsrme

Older plugs tend to be easier to rewire. If you are a handy individual I would say do it yourself.
If you have no clue where to start, look up how to do it, or ask a friend/ take it to a shop.

I can be pretty handy esp with "how to videos." I have another older lamp that definitely needs new wiring, that one looks to be a little simpler than the lighthouse one which has two bulb sockets.

I'll look up some vids on youtube, thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

kountzero
Is the dog a slobbery breed? Could have shook its head and a blob hit the bulb. Water hitting the hot glass can cause this if it was still hot from being on recently.
edit on 6-10-2013 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

Haha that is the funniest thing I"ve heard all day. No he isn't the slobbery type. He is all of 18 lbs and the cat is taller than him lol
Even if he were the slobbery type he'd never be able to whip it that far and under the shade.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

smurfy
Exploding bulbs are fairly common, or rather were. Even with brand names it could occur. I had one blow on me one time, and the centre pillar inside the bulb that carries the elements embedded itself in the carpet.

WOW!!

Yea this is the first time it has happened and it made me jump and slightly freaked me out!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
For under 12 bucks you can rewire your lamp...here's the kit from Home Depot.

Westinghouse 3-Way Socket Make-A-Lamp Kit

www.homedepot.com...-tQU

Des

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It's aliens or poltergeist.
Move along, it's just the reminder of their presence.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Freakin Ghosts
lol

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am no expert, but my first instinct was that there was some kind of imperfection in the glass. Glass is very susceptible to changes in temperature and just like a small crack in a car's windshield, those tiny cracks will grow over time with the slightest amount of pressure.

Turning the light on creates heat which expands the glass, turning it off causes it cool and contract. Over time the imperfection got to a critical moment and a tiny fluctuation in the ambient temperature in the room pushed it past the point of critical failure, even though the light was not on.

Not saying 100% this is what happened, but that seems to be the most logical explanation to me.

DC

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think we can rule out a surge as op states it wasnt switched on.

Most bulb problems are caused by overheating! This is usually because the wattage is too high for the bulb holder. The bulb holder acts like a heatsink and if its too small the bulb gets to hot.

If it wasn't switched on then either the glass was faulty (through overheating), or maybe you dog took a bite?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join