posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
If the lamp has been working fine I would not rewire it if it passes a visual inspection of any "exposed" wiring - including the cord and cord cap
(plug). If the wiring is faulty generally either the circuit breaker/fuse box would trip or you would see the bulb occasionally flicker or dim. If
it's old it probably is not grounded/earthed which can be problematic if there is a problem with a current carrying conductor touching a metal portion
of the lamp - if you rewire it yourself you take a chance of causing a problem where there was not one to begin with. If you ever do feel a small
amount of current when operating the lamp reverse the plug in the outlet. If not do nothing to the plug.
Wiring problems would be open circuit - light would not work, frayed or broken wire - lamp would be dim or metallic body of lamp could possibly be
energized, and dead short - circuit breaker would trip ( or fuse would open). Something else you could test would be to "feel" the electrical cord
and try to determine if it feels hot or warm to the touch - you should not be able to feel heat (perhaps a very slight amount).
An electrical surge caused by the utility company would probably just burn out the filiment in the lamp unless it was a LARGE surge and then you would
have a lot of things go "pop", not just that bulb.
My guess is there was a flaw in the glass bulb and heat eventually weakened the flaw to the point it finally broke. Not common, but not unheard of
Usually best to stick with 60 watt bulbs in any lighting fixture (x the number of sockets provided) unless you have seen a ul sticker indicating the
luminaire has been designed to accomodate a higher wattage lamp.
edit on 10/6/2013 by FrenchOsage because: duh moment