It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Deadly Spread of Bulverism on ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Here the problem is the definition of "side." Even if the man was wrong and a triangle has umptyleben million sides, the wife's response, "Oh, you say that because you're a man," is Bulverism.

I would say epidemic would be a mild statement.

Poet1b IS RIGHT.

Not according to the women in my life, except when they need money to go shopping.

Sorry ladies, it is just an example.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

As you can tell by my reading material this is a subject that I stuggle with and have since failing it in College ( a lot of partying may have had something to do with it - took Symbolic Logic as my required Poli Sci class). I've picked it up many times, each time I learn a little more then the last time but it is very slow going.

I'd go for a study group though....

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Perceived repression has been the downfall of many countries. America is begging for a major war and war in your streets may well be on its way.

If you think that defenseless Iraq and Afghanistan were any test of military might then you are trippin! Just wait until you pull Russia full on into Syria or Iran!
edit on 8-10-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Dear Donkey_Dean,

You probably meant to post your comment in another thread, double check it. The comment has nothing whatever to do with this topic.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b
LOL. Last night I was on the phone with my best friend (he is a man, I am a woman), and I said, "Why did you think I was mad, just because we haven't talked in a few days? It isn't about you!"

And he says, "I say this with only affection [-- now I know whatever is going to follow, he expects to make me angry lol...], but the fact that I did nothing whatever to make a woman mad, doesn't mean that she is not going to be mad at me. These two things really have almost nothing to do with one another."

I found that hilarious. From his perspective, I'm sure it's true!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this post to the forum Charles, I cant s and f for some reason (nor can I search either) so I am writing this thankyou because I see this every day, just as Lewis did and it is nice to have someone put their finger on it.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Dear Cinrad.

I'm really happy that you found something good in it. Lewis was simply amazing. Whether one is Christian, Atheist, or something else, if you haven't read Lewis your education isn't complete. As I've said before, give me the complete works of Lewis, Chesterton, P.G. Wodehouse (I like a good laugh), and the Bible, and I'll be all right.

(Throw in Dante, Socrates, Aquinas, and Agatha Christie, and I'll be dancing.)

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with your account. I suppose you've sent a U2U to the staff? They're pretty good at fixing things like that.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Hey meany! Your signature is hurtful, I thought I was the official blacksheep of ats.

...and if it is me; well, you are not a very nice person...

cupcake

all in good humor.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Dear loveguy,

I can't tell you how grateful I am for the cupcake. It reassures me that perhaps the world has not fallen to the insane yet, and there is still goodness and kindness to be found.

Sorry about the Black Sheep business. Would it soothe your wounded feelings if I went with:

Joe Btfsplk: The world's worst jinx, Joe Btfsplk had a perpetually dark rain cloud over his head. Instantaneous bad luck befell anyone unfortunate enough to be in his vicinity. Though well-meaning and friendly, his reputation inevitably precedes him — so Joe is a very lonely little man. He has an apparently unpronounceable name, but creator Al Capp "pronounced" Btfsplk by simply blowing a "raspberry," or Bronx cheer. Joe's personal storm cloud became one of the most iconic images in the strip.

(Li'l Abner)

My only objection to that is it's emphasis on "luck" as the source of his troubles, but I will not rob you of your title. But are you the Official ATS Black Sheep, or just a run of the mill Black Sheep?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

Dear loveguy,

I can't tell you how grateful I am for the cupcake. It reassures me that perhaps the world has not fallen to the insane yet, and there is still goodness and kindness to be found.

Sorry about the Black Sheep business. Would it soothe your wounded feelings if I went with:

Joe Btfsplk: The world's worst jinx, Joe Btfsplk had a perpetually dark rain cloud over his head. Instantaneous bad luck befell anyone unfortunate enough to be in his vicinity. Though well-meaning and friendly, his reputation inevitably precedes him — so Joe is a very lonely little man. He has an apparently unpronounceable name, but creator Al Capp "pronounced" Btfsplk by simply blowing a "raspberry," or Bronx cheer. Joe's personal storm cloud became one of the most iconic images in the strip.

(Li'l Abner)

My only objection to that is it's emphasis on "luck" as the source of his troubles, but I will not rob you of your title. But are you the Official ATS Black Sheep, or just a run of the mill Black Sheep?

With respect,
Charles1952

Is onamonapia that hard to pronounce?
Must be refrencing literature I'm not as familiar with as should/could be...?

There's nothing official about me, that I know of? except I represent myself, (not a sheep at all), to which some days I am not myself (like a sheep).

Anyways, I just wanted to peer in here and say hello, and admit that I'm a little confused by this topic.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Dear loveguy,

As I've often said, my writing can be confusing.

In it's very shortest form, Bulverism is the belief that a statement or argument can be shown to be false solely based on the source.

On ATS, for example, one can find many people who see that the source is FOX News, and reject the statement without even reading it. (Or a variety of other sources.) First, show that it's false, only then can one go poking around into the psychology of the matter. The source of a statement may explain why it was presented, but the only way you can tell whether something is true or false is to study it, and judge it on it's own merits.

Lewis' example is when a man says something and his wife replies "You only say that because you're a man."

But on to better stuff, Dogpatch.

Li'l Abner has been described as America's best cartoon. It ran for decades and attracted audiences in many countries. It's satire was pointed, but not mean, and it was actually funny. Here's a little something from the Wiki article. I'm surprised I'm saying this, but this is one article i found to be informative and entertaining. If you read the whole thing, I won't be surprised.

Li'l Abner is a satirical American comic strip that appeared in many newspapers in the United States, Canada and Europe, featuring a fictional clan of hillbillies in the impoverished mountain village of Dogpatch, Kentucky. Written and drawn by Al Capp (1909–1979), the strip ran for 43 years, from August 13, 1934 through November 13, 1977. It was distributed by United Feature Syndicate. Comic strips typically dealt with northern urban experiences before Capp introduced the first strip based in the South.

Exceeding every burlesque stereotype of Appalachia, the impoverished backwater of Dogpatch consisted mostly of hopelessly ramshackle log cabins, "tarnip" fields, pine trees and "hawg" wallows. Most Dogpatchers were shiftless and ignorant, the remainder were scoundrels and thieves. The menfolk were too lazy to work, yet Dogpatch gals were desperate enough to chase them (see Sadie Hawkins Day). Those who farmed their turnip fields watched "Turnip termites" swarm by the billions every year, locust-like, to devour Dogpatch's only crop, (along with their homes, their livestock and all their clothing.)

The local geography was fluid and vividly complex; Capp continually changed it to suit either his whims or the current storyline. Natural landmarks included (at various times) Teeterin' Rock, Onneccessary Mountain, Bottomless Canyon, and Kissin' Rock, (handy to Suicide Cliff). Local attractions that reappeared in the strip included the West Po'k Chop Railroad, the "Skonk Works" — a dilapidated factory located on the remote outskirts of Dogpatch, and the General Jubilation T. Cornpone memorial statue.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Li'l Abner home page is here:
lil-abner.com...

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on Mon Oct 13 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Thanks.

In it's very shortest form, Bulverism is the belief that a statement or argument can be shown to be false solely based on the source.

Like when I'm cleaning a paddock and I say to the horse; "I do good work, huh?"
And because he don't like me, his answer will be "neigh", while rearing-up and swatting me on out of his paddock?"

I give the guy his grain in the morning and can lead him to the paddock...then I come with the hay, and he's trying to kick my teeth in, like, what gives?

I guess I'll have to ask him if he tastes gmo or something...? Maybe I don't clean up quick enough for him, probably wants me to follow him with a shovel...?

If he is a bulverist, I guess it would be futile trying to feed him hay at grain-time, huh? practicing comedy here/

edit on (10/13/1414 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join